Movies

Tommy Bennett

On a different note I'm a bit disappointed with what little I'm hearing about the future of the MCU...

I've already mentioned my fear with them ignoring the ramifications with the snapback (excellent post on that, Soren Ras). Now I just saw an article come across my phone feed that the directors announced in an interview that someone in the MCU will be announced as gay in a coming movie.

I had no issue with the little interview in Endgame where the guy at the support group mentioned his date with another man. That was the way to handle such things... subtle and just treat it as normal. But making a point about a future movie having this instead of just letting it come out in a natural way will just piss folks off because it feels forced. Oh well...

Considering most main male characters have wives or girl friends I would have to go with characters I don't know much about. I might say Dr, Strange but that would not be a good connotation. So maybe Captain Marvel?

Strange had a love interest in his origin film so it's not him. Of all the heroes we've already seen who haven't shown any love interest (and who are human... I'm doubting it'd be a big deal if it was an off-worlder) we have War Machine, Falcon, Okoye, Wong, Valkyrie, Captain Marvel... and I'm running out of anyone remotely big (a few of those aren't that big already). Yeah... if I were a betting man I'd say it's Captain Marvel as well.

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course it will be Captain Marvel. At the very least. There might well be more.

And contra Yama's doubt, I am pretty sure they *will* try to make it an event, the way they always fan the PR prior to a new movie. They certainly tried to make Black Panther and Captain Marvel events. (To be fair, this is mostly done by putting out suggestive trailers and then stepping aside and not bothering to correct the more excitable online SJW hordes as they gush over "finally the first <insert blank>!!" despite such claims usually being vastly overblown.

For example, from cursory reading about Black Panther you would think he was the first black superhero. Not even close.

Nor was he the first black Marvel superhero.

Nor was he the first black Marvel superhero to star in his own film (series).

Nor the first black Marvel superhero to star in his own film and have that movie be a boxoffice hit.

But for sure, BP was the first time a black Marvel superhero named T'Challa starred in a box office hit.

As for the glass ceiling claims made on behalf of Captain Marvel, please. How many female action heroes have we had now? I am pretty sure I could list twenty and still leave out a bunch.

But the PR machine generates clicks and even opposition (and threats of boycots) will in the end only serve to spread the public awareness, so from a business point of view, Marvel would be crazy not to try to turn it into an event.

The only problem is that a gay <insert hero here> is boring, uninspired, and probably an indicator that the producers think the time has come to give the MCU the Kathleen Kennedy do-over instead of going for compelling story lines. Valar Morghulis. Same goes for successful movie franchises.

--

Soren

The only problem is that a gay <insert hero here> is boring, uninspired, and probably an indicator that the producers think the time has come to give the MCU the Kathleen Kennedy do-over instead of going for compelling story lines. Valar Morghulis. Same goes for successful movie franchises.

That's my fear right now. As much as many of us on here like to deride what's become of Star Wars the reality is even TLJ still printed money. If Marvel goes down this route they'll likely continue to print money for the foreseeable future (riding on the coattails of what they've done in the last decade). :(

My wife and I have started keeping track of "surprisingly good" movies, which looked like they were going to be mediocre but surprised us instead. This is the list so far:

* "The Darkest Dawn" -- Found footage style, alien apocalypse.

* "He Never Died" -- Henry Rollins forever and ever.

* "MaleVolent" -- 1986 setting, paranormal investigators.

* "The Diabolical" -- Ali Larter, sci-fi timebender. The title is misleading.

* "The Honor Farm" -- Never quite a horror movie, more of a fun surreal mindbender.

* "Boys in Trees" -- Starts off mundane, wanders into a night of magical surrealism.

* "Subject Two" -- Frankenstein meets The Re-Animator in an angsty millennial's head.

* "41" -- Affable youth finds a hole in time, tries to prevent an accident.

* "The Ascent" (2017 film by Murtagh, not the 1977 film of same name) -- Play dressed up as a movie, about a fallen angel.

* "The Dark" (2018) -- Beauty and the beast, inverted.

Edited by TTK Ciar

Of course it will be Captain Marvel. At the very least. There might well be more.

And contra Yama's doubt, I am pretty sure they *will* try to make it an event, the way they always fan the PR prior to a new movie. They certainly tried to make Black Panther and Captain Marvel events. (To be fair, this is mostly done by putting out suggestive trailers and then stepping aside and not bothering to correct the more excitable online SJW hordes as they gush over "finally the first <insert blank>!!" despite such claims usually being vastly overblown.

For example, from cursory reading about Black Panther you would think he was the first black superhero. Not even close.

Nor was he the first black Marvel superhero.

Nor was he the first black Marvel superhero to star in his own film (series).

Nor the first black Marvel superhero to star in his own film and have that movie be a boxoffice hit.

But for sure, BP was the first time a black Marvel superhero named T'Challa starred in a box office hit.

As for the glass ceiling claims made on behalf of Captain Marvel, please. How many female action heroes have we had now? I am pretty sure I could list twenty and still leave out a bunch.

But the PR machine generates clicks and even opposition (and threats of boycots) will in the end only serve to spread the public awareness, so from a business point of view, Marvel would be crazy not to try to turn it into an event.

Well granted, it's possible (they certainly did try to trump up Black Panther, despite tons of black superheroes before). Still, Marvel has had gay superheroes for decades, I doubt it is going to raise many eyebrowns. Might come across as tokenism, at worst.

And really, it's pretty much same thing when every time a new James Bond flick comes out, producers always try to present how THIS TIME they have modern, active and independent female lead...when in actuality, Bond girls have been that pretty much from the beginning. Damsel in distress Bond girls are a rarity in that franchise, and in fact last one was one of the most passive and helpless ever.

Any way, War Machine or Falcon would surely be plausible as gay. Valkyrie, maybe...doesn't she have a name, by the way? 'Valkyrie' is just a battlefield role. It's like someone being called 'soldier' or 'infantryman'.

Capt Marvel could be, but she comes across so distant and cold that it is hard to see her in any romantic setting, with anyone. "Warm and cuddly as a Swiss bank account".

Edited by Yama

Valkyrie apparently was to be shown leaving a girlfriend's place in Ragnarok, but the scene was cut, so she apparently is supposed to be at least bi. The UST between Danvers and Jude Laws's character would seem to inducate she likes men, as does the fact her USAF pilot BFF has a child. One or both couls still like or prefer women

Some characters not already used who are gay in the comics are rumoured as possible MCU gay characters.

Of course, that they have done fairly well in keeping the movies entertaining without going full SJW does not mean they cannot screw things up.

It has happened people who have married went gay. I know more women that did it then men. But, does the super Captain Marvel have a weakness like superman has kryptonite? When this all gets tired something can do her in and take the SJW thing with her.

The moderating element for Cpt Marvel is that her area of operations is so large, she only gets to interfere in rare cases. Works for me. I'd rather have her appear rarely and not have Kryptonite than her being around all the time, being artificially rendered helpless only to turn around at the last minute. Over. And over. And over again.

Edited by Ssnake

Her being away policing the galaxy will certainly make it more plausible to have engaging and suspenseful stories about heroes with lesser powers who just happen to be johnny-on-the-spot when something bad happens, while Superman Cpt Marvel is off handling some situation around the Crab Nebula.

However, since she appears to be entirely lacking of flaws or weaknesses, any situation she does show up for is going to be low in suspense. Being dull may eventually take a toll at the box office, but won't impede the character on screen.

--

Soren

In other news, I went to see 'Amundsen'. It was ok, I compare it to 'Kon-Tiki' in that it was reasonably accurate but with some manufactured human drama forced on because otherwise the viewers don't connect or something, or that's what the marketing department assured anyway... :rolleyes:

It was just too ambitious to have a movie which goes through Amundsen's entire, HUGE exploration history in 2 hours. This would have worked out better as a 4-hour miniseries. They were forced to gloss over lots of stuff, like Lincoln Ellsworth was reduced to glorified extra. And whole exciting (in a wrong way) Norge trip was shown only briefly. Still, they did manage to squeeze in lots of stuff I didn't think would be even mentioned, and the lead guy looked much like young Amundsen, so at least points for effort.

Her being away policing the galaxy will certainly make it more plausible to have engaging and suspenseful stories about heroes with lesser powers who just happen to be johnny-on-the-spot when something bad happens, while Superman Cpt Marvel is off handling some situation around the Crab Nebula.

However, since she appears to be entirely lacking of flaws or weaknesses, any situation she does show up for is going to be low in suspense. Being dull may eventually take a toll at the box office, but won't impede the character on screen.

--

Soren

Yeah why is Danvers so danged 'invulnerable' (until Thanos gave her a fist full of infinity stone to the face) anyway?

In other news, Detective Pikachu was great. Take your Pokemon-loving kids to see it and laugh at Ryan Reynolds' performance in it.

According to reviews, it's the highest-rated video game movie EVER. Talk about damning with faint praise!

--

Soren

Yeah why is Danvers so danged 'invulnerable' (until Thanos gave her a fist full of infinity stone to the face) anyway?

Captain Marvel has always been super-powerful in the comics, characters like him and Silver Surfer act as a 'bridge' between Earth Heroes and cosmic level threats like Galactus etc. Captain Marvel (the original one) was one who defeated Thanos in his first crossover, where Thanos tried to acquire Cosmic Cube (in the movies it was called Tesseract). This crossover was big success, prompting them to repeat it half a dozen times with ever-bigger ensemble casts.

Didn't we have some fans of the latest version of IT? I'm not into horror films but heard such goods things about the first one I've been tempted to check it out.

That's my fear right now. As much as many of us on here like to deride what's become of Star Wars the reality is even TLJ still printed money. If Marvel goes down this route they'll likely continue to print money for the foreseeable future (riding on the coattails of what they've done in the last decade). :(

Finally saw endgame and thought it was pretty good. Since I'm not invested in the Marvel superheroes and have only seen about 8 or so of the movies a lot of the back story stuff was wasted on me which made the movie seem even longer than it was. I will say that Marvel movies have probably sucked up the majority of my movie dollars over the last 10 years or so. In the end I'm just much of a movie goer, so which if any of the next round I see in the theater will depend on reviews from people I know.

One opinion on Thanos being either an idoit or psychotic.

Edited by Mobius

In general, are folks still concerned about spoiler tags? Marvel and many involved in the movie have basically indicated they're not anymore. Given the numbers this movie has pulled in it seems those who would have cared about spoilers have likely already seen the movie.

:o

My wife want to see it with me, (She's seen a total of 3 Marvel Movies--all since we met), and we haven't had time yet. On top of it, I hate full theatres because people are terrible, so I want to see it with a quieter crowd. I went see Detective Pikachu only because she was out of town on a field trip. We'll probably see it Friday night/Sunday morning, but it's still up in the air. I've been spoiled already so I'm willing to wait to see it, but I would like to see it in theatres first.

...I still haven't been able to see it yet. :unsure:

Since I have a life, I'll wait for it to come out on Neflix. "Kingdom Men Rising" I'll by on DVD.

I have a life too, but it hasn't worked out for me to see it yet, so I'm not sure why you're being dismissive of the movie--especially considering the fact you immediately offer the alternative of... a Christian movie? As a genre those are just the worst: all of the cheesy acting of a Hallmark romance movie, with none of the self-aware silliness. I actively cringe at the thought of being drug to those growing up in Church, and as an adult sigh at the prospect of having to explain that I like movies with decent production values, and that if I wanted a sermon... I'd just listen to the podcasts sitting on my phone.

I wait until the crowds die down and I can sit where I want to. Had the experience of having to sit front row because there were no other seats left, and I'm done with that. Generally I don't mind getting spoiled, especially with the Marvel stuff because I'm not into the comics, and the order I've seen the movies in is all messed up (plus haven't seen a few of them). So I'm usually missing out on some plot points that a more devoted Marvel fan would pick up on right away. But have been trying to stay away from Endgame spoilers, so thanks to all that have been using the spoiler flags. I hope to see it this week, maybe today.

I wait until the crowds die down and I can sit where I want to. Had the experience of having to sit front row because there were no other seats left, and I'm done with that. Generally I don't mind getting spoiled, especially with the Marvel stuff because I'm not into the comics, and the order I've seen the movies in is all messed up (plus haven't seen a few of them). So I'm usually missing out on some plot points that a more devoted Marvel fan would pick up on right away. But have been trying to stay away from Endgame spoilers, so thanks to all that have been using the spoiler flags. I hope to see it this week, maybe today.

Yeah I waited a week to see it then went to a matinee on a Monday. It was only 20% full. It was long and on top of that there are 20 mins of trailers before. I should of bought the ticket a day ahead then come in 20 minutes after the listed time. (Carry a flashlight)

Edited by Mobius