Movies

Tommy Bennett

Mad Max 2?

I didn't even know this was a sequel til a few weeks ago. When I watched this on TV as a kid when it came on occasionally I never remember there ever being a 2 in the title. Per a discussion I saw about this recently I think was often marketed as simply The Road Warrior.

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

daily-afternoon-randomness-49-photos-3-3

I love it!

At the same time, it still depresses me. Star Wars is nothing but a meme now... (To be fair that started with the prequels. This recent trilogy just put the nail in the coffin.)

Love it too! :lol:

I must admit that I liked The Force Awakens when it first came out. I think it was a consequence of the Lucas prequels. Really enjoyed Rogue One too. I don't think I would watch either one again now.

Is it just my recollection, or the now universally disliked Lucas prequels had a fairly warm reception when they first came out? I don't recall them getting much of a bad press back then.

Revenge of the Sith was both good and terrible at the same time. Since the events were a foregone conclusion certain things had to be but the acting itself was generally sub par.

The best of Anakin Skywalker was in the Clone Wars cartoons which went VERY dark at the end. It's hard to imagine that those were written for children

:D

daily-afternoon-randomness-49-photos-3-3

The only thing worse than the Imperial Marksmanship Academy is their flight school. To quote their training manual:

"The ideal way to engage solitary infantry targets is to attack from sub-NOE at high speed, especially if they are Jedi. Attacks from stand-off range are almost always not recommended. "

Edited by Stargrunt6

Mad Max 2?

Of course! AND Empire strikes back! Now these sequels we're discussing--sure they're not 'Godfather 2' levels of film making but for the genre they represent they're still 4 star movies.

I must admit that I liked The Force Awakens when it first came out. I think it was a consequence of the Lucas prequels. Really enjoyed Rogue One too. I don't think I would watch either one again now.

Is it just my recollection, or the now universally disliked Lucas prequels had a fairly warm reception when they first came out? I don't recall them getting much of a bad press back then.

I consider R1 part of the OT at this point. I could watch any of those over and over again.

As for the prequels I recall their reception being negative but far more subdued. You had frustrations with Jar Jar, the terrible scripts, wasted villains (remember all the buildup for Maul in the trailers only for him to be effectively a throwaway in the first film?), the kid-ification of Star Wars, and the list goes on. I think one big difference with the prequels compared to today was that fans felt the basic outline of the prequels was fine but that it was poorly delivered by Lucas (remember that ESB and RotJ were not directed by Lucas) who hadn't directed a film in years and it showed. Does anyone think that if we had had the same premise of TLJ but delivered by a different director we'd suddenly have a good film? No matter who delivered that you would have gotten backlash.

It also didn't help that around the same time the LotR trilogy was coming out and we saw what a masterpiece actually looked like.

Still, the reaction was certainly not as harsh as today. I don't think it was til years later, when RLM came out with their brutal dissection of Phantom Menace, that the frustration turned to vitriol for many.

Edited by Skywalkre

I consider R1 part of the OT at this point. I could watch any of those over and over again.

As for the prequels I recall their reception being negative but far more subdued. You had frustrations with Jar Jar, the terrible scripts, wasted villains (remember all the buildup for Maul in the trailers only for him to be effectively a throwaway in the first film?), the kid-ification of Star Wars, and the list goes on. I think one big difference with the prequels compared to today was that fans felt the basic outline of the prequels was fine but that it was poorly delivered by Lucas (remember that ESB and RotJ were not directed by Lucas) who hadn't directed a film in years and it showed. Does anyone think that if we had had the same premise of TLJ but delivered by a different director we'd suddenly have a good film? No matter who delivered that you would have gotten backlash.

It also didn't help that around the same time the LotR trilogy was coming out and we saw what a masterpiece actually looked like.

Still, the reaction was certainly not as harsh as today. I don't think it was til years later, when RLM came out with their brutal dissection of Phantom Menace, that the frustration turned to vitriol for many.

I think this shows quite nicely why the first film was so brilliant and why the prequels were so lacking. When Star Wars was made, Lucas had to listen to other very talented people, who polished Lucas' movie into a masterpiece. By the time the prequels came, Lucas was a demigod and you don't tell God what to do.

Allow me to beat this drum: ALL ARTISTS NEED EDITORS.

It's that whole "that man has 100 ideas" problem all over again.

For example, I'm a huge fan of Prince. But after the New Power Generation era, where he was in complete control, his albums had a lot of lousy songs mixed with some amazing tracks.

Plus, Lucas didn't have the young man's hunger that he did when making the first 3 movies.

Lastly, the OT were very derived works, almost homages, to other genres. this served as anchor points for the audience. The prequels don't remind anyone of anything except for maybe some CD rom era video games.

I think this shows quite nicely why the first film was so brilliant and why the prequels were so lacking. When Star Wars was made, Lucas had to listen to other very talented people, who polished Lucas' movie into a masterpiece. By the time the prequels came, Lucas was a demigod and you don't tell God what to do.

I remember reading a newspaper story that came out when the second story axis came out (I forget which one, the one that featured Darth Vaders early life?). And when the film was being made, it was widely expected in Holywood to fail. The author talked of interviewing Harrison Ford talking about the film, and even he sounded less than confident. The writer said they felt sorry for him because he was getting on and this was clearly his last shot before disappearing into obscurity again.

So yes I can entirely believe that. Going on another theme, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore were (justifiably) cited as great comedians at the BBC. So it was with some excitement that some footage had been found of a series they did for ITV int he vaults (most of the BBC footage had been wiped). And it was disappointing. Largely because by the time they went to ITV they had a massive reputation, and the director of ITV one Lew Grade said 'Give them whatever they want'. Which as it turned out, meant not saying hard words about scripts when they needed it. Tough love in other words.

Yeah, but can you say with confidence that "Grumpier Old Men" was better than the first one?

About the same, and on a hight level, so I'm not complaining (same goes for The Incredibles 2). But Stu's question was specifically about sequels that improved over the first one.

Has been years since I have seen them both, but the second one had some funny scenes with Sophia Loren; the 'wine in a box", one I still remember and Mrs. Loren in the red dress scenes. I thought is was at least as good and maybe a little better/different.

Edited by Rick

Well, I too like R1--it's been my favorite of ANY of the new movies including the prequels and the new trilogy--MUST be something where everybody doesn't have plot armor.

Whenever I'm on YouTube I keep going back to this well edited clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCVWm20fU0A&t=428s

Which is sad, because with a more coherent storyline the 'new trilogy' could have been 'fab';

Edited by NickM

Well, I too like R1--it's been my favorite of ANY of the new movies including the prequels and the new trilogy--MUST be something where everybody doesn't have plot armor.

Still, the reaction was certainly not as harsh as today. I don't think it was til years later, when RLM came out with their brutal dissection of Phantom Menace, that the frustration turned to vitriol for man

Whenever I'm on YouTube I keep going back to this well edited clip:

One annoying feature of R1 though in the final battle, they just had to spoon-feed in female fighterjocks into an established universe (original trilogy) where there were none.

I enjoyed Rogue One, but to put it on the same level as the original 3 says more about how low fanbase expectations had fallen since the summer of ROTJ.

Vader in boarding action combat was highly entertaining, but probably should have been toned down a bit.

I enjoyed Rogue One, but to put it on the same level as the original 3 says more about how low fanbase expectations had fallen since the summer of ROTJ.

Vader in boarding action combat was highly entertaining, but probably should have been toned down a bit.

Oh I VERY nearly do put it at the OT's level but not quite--but it's still head and shoulders above the new trilogy & the prequels. As for Vader, BOTH his scenes were some of the best parts of the film, but the 'space battles' were what really made the movie for me. Both were 'choreographed and composed' beautifully even if they're CGI--the starfighters flying thru the rain with their nav lights on as they raid Edau and the 'GoPro To War' arrival of the Rebel Fleet at Scarif were both inspired film composition. And speaking of inspired, the Death Star's first usage at Jedha: The fact that somebody thought it was a great idea to eclipse the local sun before destroying the city with it's superlaser again give the film high marks in my eyes.