Movies

Tommy Bennett

Basically winds the clock to mid 2008 with some of the most thinly veiled name changes (Churchill Schwarz? Come on!) and sticks close enough to the historical script to be recognisable, but fictionalised enough to be misleading.

Never underestimate the power of the Schwartz!

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have managed to avoid Bay's Pearl Harbour movie so far, but then I saw it in a discount bin at the local supermarket and in a fit of optimism thought that it might be something I could use to educate the progeny. So I plunked down 25 kroner (about $4.50) and checked it out that evening when the family was tucked away.

Oh, dear. :blink:

So, I went online and ordered 30 Seconds Over Tokyo and Tora! Tora! Tora! instead.

TTT is probably the best movie concerning PH that I've seen, or know of. It's nothing but sadness to me that -thanks to Bruckheimer and Bay, and how they could fuck up the task of boiling water- we will probably now not get another good PH movie, with updated visuals. Not that they are strictly necessary, TTT does stand very well on its own merits.

What the world needs now is an update to Midway, which this time uses 'Shattered Sword' as a basis of reference.

When I die and go to Heaven, there is awaiting me a fully-stocked bar, lesbian cheerleaders with a penchant for voyeurism, and both movies aforementioned remade to historically-accurate specs. Oh, and the Battle of Leyte Gulf, to same specs.

Shot

Better there be no more other attempts at a historically-accurate spec PH until after Hollywood been purged of everyone who thinks their version of PH is better than the real thing.

Shot, you should be wanting bisexual cheerleaders with a penchant for voyeurism, unless you want to be the odd man out.

We saw RED last night ... very well done, awesome and fun. Not a terribly deep plot, but lots of 1911s going off and stuff getting blown up :lol: Really liked it and thought it would be a good one to buy when it comes out on DVD. I did get the eye-rolling treatment when I mentioned that I was trying to figure out the makers of the pistols and liked the touch that they actually had to do mag changes (I know, a very novel concept for Hollywood) ...

Edited by Nailcreek

Seen Secretariat, and would rather watch Seabiscuit or the Black Stallion over seeing Secretariat again.

Well, time and avoiding the crush in vicinity of state fair made "Secretariat" the default choice. No goats were blown, so it seems to have been the best outcome.

I agree, as horsie movies go, SB and TBS (especially TBS) are more gripping. Even though the outcome is historically known in both Secretariat and SB, this one doesn't manage to create a suspenseful air. It doesn't stink, however.

I'd also like to get the much lesser known "The Reivers" in there. Relatively unknown Steve McQueen and Rupert Cross in a classic Faulkner tale.

Anybody seen the latest (and probably last) Michael Douglas flick where he reprises his role from "Wall Street"? Basis of comparison with "Secretariat"? I need this info by Saturday evening to make a choice with lady friend.

Not enough stock market too much on the mistakes Greco made with his family. Girl meets horse is better than old broker meets estranged daughter.

I'd go see Secretariat again instead of Sea Biscuit.

Well, time and avoiding the crush in vicinity of state fair made "Secretariat" the default choice. No goats were blown, so it seems to have been the best outcome.

For me it the choice was either "Secretariat" or "Life As We Know It" and choice "Secretariat."

I agree, as horsie movies go, SB and TBS (especially TBS) are more gripping. Even though the outcome is historically known in both Secretariat and SB, this one doesn't manage to create a suspenseful air. It doesn't stink, however.

Imho the studio was trying too hard to make it "the Blind Side" killer and the movie suffered for it. Movie Secretariat did had to me one huge flaw which existed with the RL Secretariat was the

issue of the estate tax and nobody thought of it while the Dad was still alive and acting stunned to find out about it after he had died. A problem which should have been for seen and dealt with the lawyer friends, husband, secretary and the accountant brother before it became a problem?

Plot issues like that is huge pet peeve of mine.

Currently re-viewing "Going Postal"

I saw a great Czeck movie on ENCORE the other night.

I served the King of England. Normally I stay totally away from sub-titled movies but I made an exception.

Sexual light hearted comedy with a background of the 1930s,'40s horrors up to the '60s in Czech nation. Tons of beautiful naked women.

Unqualified remark, unless you've also seen "Komodo vs. Cobra".

Tastes vary.

I forced an old g/f to watch "Dark Star" with me over a decade ago. I do believe that was a primary cause of our later breakup.

Oh well, girls come and go, I'll always have my twisted love of "Dark Star".

"Storage Area 9 self-destructed last week, destroying entire ship's supply of toilet paper. That's all."

I saw two DVDs this morning, Splice and How to Train Your Dragon.

I think Splice was a good horror film well-acted by the main thespians. I don't know how Adrian Brody gets so many lead roles in a looks conscious Hollywood, but he's become one of my favorite actors. I wasn't pleased with the showdown near the end, the creature should've been used better, what with so many abilities, but I think it was a fine film.

The dragon film was also entertaining, albeit geared for kids, being pretty original, if predictable. I feel the hero and his girlfriend should've been voiced by other actors, but the whole Viking community speaking with Scottish accents was somehow appropriate. There were a number of subtle one-liners and a kid mumbling D&D statistics that was amusing. The movie was also beautiful and detailed, particularly during the flight scenes.

http://io9.com/5668015/the-fourth-kind-screenwriters-new-film-cloverfield-on-the-moon

When will the "found footage" style of movie die? Possibly when films like Cloverfield and Paranormal Activity stop making tons of cash. Olatunde Osunsanmi, writer of The Fourth Kind, is writing and directing Dark Moon, a lunar "found footage" epic.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, this will be yet another movie in which a camera is discovered after the person who made the video recordings is already dead. And it takes up the idea that the Moon landings continued after Apollo 17, in secret. The film follows "a black ops post-Apollo mission sent to the moon to explore previously classified discoveries and its unintended and disturbing consequences." Akiva Goldsman will produce, and Warner Bros. is already on board to make this film — although Osunsanmi already has another film he's directing, The Commuter.

Sounds like a cool premise. I'll admit that I've long hoped for a big-budget remake of Moontrap. In which we continue to take no shit from a machine.

Falken

just saw The Social Network at the noon matinee. Interesting film about a very young curmudgeon, now the youngest billionaire, apparently. Clearly, he swiped the idea from the guys that asked him to join the project, and condemned them for not having his technical expertise - which is why they wanted to make him a partner to begin with. He contends that his version is so above and beyond their concept, but it's six and a half dozen when you see that they could've expanded down the road as partners over time. I do give him credit for seeing the ultimate potential. His sidekick and CFO seemed a ball & chain given his inability to get anything done, so I had no problem with his ultimate exit.

It was interesting to see Jesse Eisenberg playing such an angry scumbag given his usual good guy roles. He's another young actor whose career is taking off.

Just watched the original British version of the movie "Fever Pitch." The drama is more intense because the Brit's love of soccer is more fierce than any American's love of soccer. The humor is more subtle, I can tell I was missing jokes. I was also missing some due to the cultural references (had to look up what "subbuteo" is) and the language gap (had to put on subtitles). Great movie, lot of fun, especially the last few minutes of it.

Just watched the original British version of the movie "Fever Pitch." The drama is more intense because the Brit's love of soccer is more fierce than any American's love of soccer. The humor is more subtle, I can tell I was missing jokes. I was also missing some due to the cultural references (had to look up what "subbuteo" is) and the language gap (had to put on subtitles). Great movie, lot of fun, especially the last few minutes of it.

Ah, yes that is true about soccer. Baseball is a different story. I am a Bostonian, and citizen of Red Sox Nation. Fever Pitch is one of my favorite films. Of course I'm referring to the 2004 film of the same name. I saw the film at the same theater where it premiered, a few blocks from Fenway Park.