Movies

Tommy Bennett

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't remember the last time I went to the movies or what I saw. Maybe the drive-in? :D - no not THAT long ago, but a very long time ago. Many many years.

Would love to see the Elizabeth movies (Cate Blanchette?) just to see all the costumes and scenes details. I always wish I could see MOST historic movies on really big screen.

I have a really small screen portable that I have to pull real close to be able to see. Not good for details (and bad eyes also starting cataracts)

I watched this one last night and really enjoyed the serious story/messages and acting, lots of fun in it too.

The Talk of the Town 1942

http://www.filmsite.org/talk.html

Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Being an olde Sherlock Holmes fan, and expecting (a)(the) "real" master detective to appear once again, this movie had little relevance to offer. Besides the era, locations and names, there was nothing in this movie relating to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. Holmes was played unconvincingly by Robert Downey Jr. This was not a bad movie, has lots of action, good props, etc., but would have a made a better movie with other names for the characters. Oh well, the Dream Factory strikes again.

I think that in the TV series "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" (1984–2004) Jeremy Brett played an outstanding interpretation of the character. And the episodes were good adaptations of various stories by Doyle. But then, I liked the Basil Rathbone ones also.

And, speaking of detectives, I loved David Suchet as Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot. And of course Peter Ustinov's Poirot in the various movies.

Leo

And, speaking of detectives, I loved David Suchet as Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot. And of course Peter Ustinov's Poirot in the various movies.

Leo

Me too. Love AC's mysteries in general, books, movies. Great fun! (books - As a young adolescent while my teenage sisters were into "True Romance" mags, I was into "True Detective" and whodunnits. Strange kid :D Love to see books into film!)

Edited by Dame Karmen

I finally got to see the remake of The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three, and it was a mere shadow of the original. I liked the villain's madness, but he was not as well written as he could've been given a more sinister and calculating persona.

Working on the subway, I was able to pick out a lot of technical errors - which I'm happy to have seen - rather than providing useful information.

I finally got to see the remake of The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three, and it was a mere shadow of the original. I liked the villain's madness, but he was not as well written as he could've been given a more sinister and calculating persona.

Working on the subway, I was able to pick out a lot of technical errors - which I'm happy to have seen - rather than providing useful information.

Nobody can beat Robert Shaw. I haven't even bothered to watch the remake. What are they gonna do next, remake Jaws? Name me one other living actor who could equal

Edited by Jim Martin

Nobody can beat Robert Shaw. I haven't even bothered to watch the remake. What are they gonna do next, remake Jaws? Name me one other living actor who could equal

One of the most riveting moments I've ever watched. That one scene was written by Howard Sackler, John Milius - and Robert Shaw!

"A shark, its got...lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When it comes at you, it doesn't appear to be livin'..."

It was an exceptional insight into understanding why Quint was who he was. He was helpless for the only time in his life. Not in control. How hard it was for him to ask for Hooper's help in the end was a humbling moment.

I've recently been watching a most scary horror movie...so scary I can only watch it one or two scenes at a time.

It's called "Barack Obama; The Destruction of The American Economy and The Demise of Capitalism." Co-starring Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Barney Frank, Chris Dodd and appearing as themselves The Mainstream Media.

I understand it will run daily until November 2010.

Took in the first matinee of Iron Man 2. It wasn't up to the uniqueness of the original by a slim margin, but was a good film nonetheless.

I would have to say Mickey Rourke was a potentially brilliant opponent, skell-like as only Mickey can realize a character, but was terribly underwhelming except for the Monaco scene. He got completely lost in the sauce once the Drones were activated. His last scene is actually anti-climactic.

Don Cheadle was really trying hard to be Stark's sidekick and part of his conscience, but failed to be convincing. It was a big mistake letting Terrence Howard go. Cheadle doesn't endear himself on any level, even his height is a big change, probably to further diminish the character. Hollywood egos are brittle indeed Mr. Favreau!

Now that I've seen this, I think a series based on the Space Marines from Games Workshop would look good. Now all that's needed is an award-winning script. I'll hold my breath...

My sister made me watch 'It's Complicated'.

I lived through the experience, which is not the bonus you might think as I believe I am more evil and malevolent now than I was beforehand.

If someone recommends going to see this (especially if someone female makes the recommendation), decline. Forcefully, if necessary.

It's too late for my sanity, but yours can still be saved.

Shot

I just saw "This Sporting Life." It interested me because I heard the movie involved rugby. It's a british film from the 60's about a miner who becomes a star rugby player and the disturbing relationship he has with his widowned landlady. Think of it as a UK version "Streetcar named Desire." Good movie, but quite depressing.

My sister made me watch 'It's Complicated'.

I lived through the experience, which is not the bonus you might think as I believe I am more evil and malevolent now than I was beforehand.

If someone recommends going to see this (especially if someone female makes the recommendation), decline. Forcefully, if necessary.

It's too late for my sanity, but yours can still be saved.

Shot

Look on the bright side, maybe your sister was adopted. ;)

When Iron Man 2 opened last week, there were already 12,000+ votes on IMDb.com hailing the movie before I even caught the matinee! This week there are only the chitinous sounds of crickets regarding Robin Hood. Another site grabs its ankles for the Hollywood Overlords. I hope their room at the brothel has a view.

Harry Knowles at aint-it-cool-news.com does a good turn at telling us why they failed in the mission. I'm happy that he mentioned Crowe is a better Hood than Costner - whom I could immolate without regret - and that Cate Blanchett looks splendid in her armor - which should be a big clue in itself!

I will offer my $6.00 for the early show just to see a period piece. My Dungeons & Dragons roots still hold some sway! ;)

Now that I've seen this, I think a series based on the Space Marines from Games Workshop would look good. Now all that's needed is an award-winning script. I'll hold my breath...

There is a space marine in production at the moment, thru I will be very surprised if the movie isn't a total cluster fark in the story and fluff department. Here is link to website.

Interesting how when Tony was the uber-playboy nobody really gave him all that much grief in the first film. However as soon as they found out he's Iron Man and trying to do the right thing his way, the BS starts pouring in from all of them except for Happy and Joe and Sue public in both films.

Edited by Rubberanvil

Saw Robin Hood last night.

[Disclaimer: If Ridley Scott could film a guy mowing is lawn, and I would buy the $35 dollar collector's edition DVD of it, and even listen to the direcdtor's commentary where all he does is insult my entire family.]

For the most part, I liked it, and it was fun. I did like Crowe's character, he had a real peasant-yeoman way about him that made more sense. The film feels authentic in its atmosphere, accents, how people lived, spoke, etc. The plot seemed disjointed at times, but it does a good job of weaving its subplots together. Battle scenes are great, but after Kingdom of Heaven and Gladiator, it's almost becoming the same movie. All the other characters are good, but it can be hard keeping track of who's who sometimes, a la Black Hawk Down.

I wish it were not a satire. This could've been a serial in the tradition of the old movie shorts.

Oh, and I want Scarlet Johansson in an SS uniform. I was a naughty Tommy.

:unsure:

[Lesley Philips voice] I say, ding-dong![/Lesley Philips voice] ;) :)

BillB

Saw Robin Hood last night.

[Disclaimer: If Ridley Scott could film a guy mowing is lawn, and I would buy the $35 dollar collector's edition DVD of it, and even listen to the direcdtor's commentary where all he does is insult my entire family.]

For the most part, I liked it, and it was fun. I did like Crowe's character, he had a real peasant-yeoman way about him that made more sense. The film feels authentic in its atmosphere, accents, how people lived, spoke, etc. The plot seemed disjointed at times, but it does a good job of weaving its subplots together. Battle scenes are great, but after Kingdom of Heaven and Gladiator, it's almost becoming the same movie. All the other characters are good, but it can be hard keeping track of who's who sometimes, a la Black Hawk Down.

It wasn't a bad movie - in fact the first 1/2 or 2/3rd of it was quite good, but then somewhat undone by the silly "Freedom! Freedom!" bits at the end, as well as by the rushed and sloppy build up to the obligatory, generic big battle.

Still, the trailers give a massively misleading idea of what it's going to be about, by showing scenes out of order and out of context. This happens to a lot of movies, but was more egregious in this case than in most.

There is a space marine in production at the moment, thru I will be very surprised if the movie isn't a total cluster fark in the story and fluff department. Here is link to website.

Dan Abnett is doing the script so you might end up very surprised in the end. I certainly hope so. :)