Movies

Tommy Bennett

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a straight adaptation of the 1943 Roald Dahl short story?

(Which was then adapted to the Twilight Zone, and from there to a Simpsons Halloween episode.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Happened on "Suspiria", the 2018 remake of the 1977 cult classic launching Dario Argento's "The Three Mothers" trilogy (which I didn't know), starring Tilda Swinton (in three roles), Dakota Johnson and Chloe Grace Moretz, set in 1977 West Berlin, with the feel of a period movie. Dancing, terrorism and witches. 😁👍

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Saw "Zona hostil" (2017) yesterday, international title "Rescue under Fire". Sort of a Spanish "Black Hawk (or rather Super Puma) Down", based upon an actual 2012 incident in Afghanistan. I'm sure it was overdramatized some, as movies are wont to, and apparently a couple Italian Mangusta gunships supporting the operation were replaced by Spanish Tigers for obvious reasons of expedience; but not too bad regarding the feeling of authenticity. Joins other non-US Afghanistan movies like the French "Voir du pays" ("The Stopover") of 2016, Danish "Krigen" ("A War") of 2015 starring Pilou Asbaek of "Borgen" and "Ghost in the Shell" fame, and German "Zwischen Welten" ("Inbetween Worlds") of 2014.

Edited by BansheeOne

• 4 weeks later...

"Love and monsters".

After missiles have destroyed an asteroid threatening Earth, chemical downfall from the missiles have changed the fauna, and humans are holed up in bunkers. One man goes on a quest to meet up with the love of his life.

An incredibly feelgoody feelgood film.

Edited by Stefan Fredriksson

On 3/28/2021 at 1:36 PM, BansheeOne said:

Saw "Zona hostil" (2017) yesterday, international title "Rescue under Fire". Sort of a Spanish "Black Hawk (or rather Super Puma) Down", based upon an actual 2012 incident in Afghanistan. I'm sure it was overdramatized some, as movies are wont to, and apparently a couple Italian Mangusta gunships supporting the operation were replaced by Spanish Tigers for obvious reasons of expedience;

Gave it a pass because I expected it to be overdone, but finally caught it on TV and is an old fashioned war film, quite watchable even if it pays its dues to girl power.

There has been a slew of Spanish movies on here recently; that station in particular has a whole series going. I've discovered a lot of good ones from various genres that never seem to have got much exposure on the international market, or at least in German theaters. One I liked was "La isla mínima" (international: "Marshland"), a mystery following a rather standard basic formula of teaming up two different types of cop to investigate the disappearance of several girls in a backwater province riddled by poverty, smuggling etc., but set against the ca. 1980 background of recently post-Franco Spain.

One of the investigators is somewhat careerist but got banished to the province from Madrid after criticizing some generals in a letter to a newspaper, still a somewhat dicey affair; the other is an easy-going, affable guy, but may or may not have been a member of the former secret police and once shot a girl at a protest. In the end though, everyone cites the new democratic values when it suits them, but employs the old methods when they deliver, including in a campaign for higher wages going on locally. I thought the period flair rather believable, and the mood remains unresolved at the ending.

Started watching The Outpost on Netflix a few weeks ago and was really impressed with it (I felt like I was back in the Army)... just can't bring myself to finish it.  I think it's because even though I know it's based on real events I can't help but watch it and feel it's some bad attempt at parody given the countless bad calls stacked on top of each other that put those soldiers in that shitty situation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So this one sneaked up on me. I was listening to the Cold War Converstations podcast, and they let drop that there was a movie out on Stalins Funeral. Of course its not as funny as the other one, but it still looks like its worth watching.

This is of course all archive film that has never been seen before. Supposedly they threw all the film talent of the USSR into making a documentary film of the funeral,which was promptly shelved when Khruschev took power. The result was all this archive film sat in the Russian archives until a few years ago when a Lithuanian film company gained access and turned it into this film.

Right on Mosul.

Army of the dead, on the other hand. Did not think I would be bored by a heist-movie set in a zombie apocalypse. It had two good things, part of the intro where "Viva Las Vegas" is playing, and the statement from the president. Other than that, strangly enough, boring.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Stargrunt6 said:

New Master and Commander movie being developed.

In other words, another Star Trek sequel, in spirit anyway.