Movies

Tommy Bennett

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather watch movie by Uwe Boll than by Michael Bay. At least first one is honest in the trashness and does not pretend he is doing masterworks.

On 10/30/2020 at 8:09 AM, bojan said:

I would rather watch movie by Uwe Boll than by Michael Bay. At least first one is honest in the trashness and does not pretend he is doing masterworks.

13 Hours was great and the first Transformers wasn't bad.  I can't think of a single decent thing from Boll and considering many attribute him with the reluctance of studios to convert games to movies given how abysmal his have been I can't say I have any love for the guy.

1 hour ago, Skywalkre said:

13 Hours was great...

Just barely watchable. Which certainly is an improvement for Bay.

and the first Transformers wasn't bad. 

Did not watch it, I have never liked Transformers or most of the cult '80/90s cartoons.

I can't think of a single decent thing from Boll

There is nothing, but you can watch it at the level of the trash by John Waters, as absolutely ridiculous thing it you are really into it. Something that is impossibly to do with Bay due the preachiness. I avoid both.

and considering many attribute him with the reluctance of studios to convert games to movies given how abysmal his have been I can't say I have any love for the guy.

Most of the game to movie conversions would suck no matter what, for fundamentally failing to understand what made a game great or being imposible to translate from a 1st person to a 3rd person narative (try filming Planescape The Torment...). So I actually don't really care if they get filmed or not. Track record, even w/o Boll is less then stellar, even so much acclaimed Witcher feels like "made for TV" remake of the cult European movie, made w/o even remotely understanding what has made it great in the first place. Plus a casting was a disaster due the "have to have black people/african americans/PoC/whatever is a a PC pronoun ATM in the fantasy equivalent of the medieval Poland":

7jzvfxi5shb31.jpg

Edited by bojan

2 hours ago, bojan said:

Did not watch it, I have never liked Transformers or most of the cult '80/90s cartoons.

No "Wolf & Rabbit"?😦

2 hours ago, bojan said:

Plus a casting was a disaster due the "have to have black people/african americans/PoC/whatever is a a PC pronoun ATM in the fantasy equivalent of the medieval Poland":

Pure gold, Bojan. 😄😁

12 minutes ago, TonyE said:

No "Wolf & Rabbit"?😦

Soviet https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ну,_погоди! ? Had it on the video tape but I am not sure I have ever seen it on TV. During the '80s local TV mostly played Bugs Bunny & Co, Disney and few odd ones (Hillbilly BearsPossible Possum and Somewhere in Dreamland) on the endless repeat. Mostly stopped watching cartoons when we got VCR in the second half of '80s... God, now that I think about it I think it was 1986-87. and that first movie I have ever got from a video rental was Top Gun... 😂

Edited by bojan

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 11:13 AM, bojan said:

Just barely watchable. Which certainly is an improvement for Bay.

OOC, why do you say that?  I was surprised how accurate it ended up being.  The actors all did a great job in their portrayals of the main characters and the focus was on them and not scoring political points. 

The only issue I had after reading details of the actual event was that Bay embellished most of the combat scenes... but I should've expected that from him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 12:13 PM, bojan said:

Most of the game to movie conversions would suck no matter what, for fundamentally failing to understand what made a game great or being imposible to translate from a 1st person to a 3rd person narative (try filming Planescape The Torment...). So I actually don't really care if they get filmed or not. Track record, even w/o Boll is less then stellar, even so much acclaimed Witcher feels like "made for TV" remake of the cult European movie, made w/o even remotely understanding what has made it great in the first place. Plus a casting was a disaster due the "have to have black people/african americans/PoC/whatever is a a PC pronoun ATM in the fantasy equivalent of the medieval Poland":

I have seen the Witcher ads online and on some TV channel, but have no idea what it is. Can you provide a link or year for the "cult European movie"? I don't want to waste time on recent trash if there's a better original. 

As for those African-looking Poles, welcome to the 21C. We all now live in a world where Cleopatra was black (yes, the spawn of Ptolemy is now black, which implies that ancient Greek royalty were black), the original Jews were black and not Semites (yes, there are some American blacks who believe that* and no one will risk their job to correct them). 

* Its most commonly heard from the Nation of Islam, but there are other groups such as the Black Hebrew Israelites. Amazingly, such claims have diffused to a limited extent into mainstream American black culture. 

5 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

I have seen the Witcher ads online and on some TV channel, but have no idea what it is. Can you provide a link or year for the "cult European movie"? I don't want to waste time on recent trash if there's a better original.

"Cult European movie" was a metaphor for Hollywood's previous poor adoptions of the European movies that more often than not missed a point of original and flopped.

Witcher as in books or even better games is incredibly developed world, full of real world eastern (and not just eastern) Europe references. That is all missing in the current series. Don't take me wrong, writing in the books is not Nobel level, but it is decent enough, world is interesting, characters are most often well developed, there is a certain amount of gallows humor characteristic for eastern Europe etc. I can recommend a books w/o shame even to those who are not fans of the fantasy genre but are willing to try it.

Netflix series took all that and turned it into one of the most generic fantasy settings possible because generic fantasy sells after Game of Thrones. Series is not bad if you are in the mood for a generic fantasy, but I have found it just boring in it's averageness. Main actor is actually decent, and does a decent job, but compared to games and books it is just too much turned into "another generic fantasy" to be interesting to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Over the holidays I saw Wonder Woman 84 and Soul with the family in the privacy of our own living room.  WW84 is bloody awful but is entertainingly bad and stupid.  It was a pleasant enough way to heckle through 2.5 hours while sipping bourbon.  

Souls was actually very good indeed.  Not Pixar's absolute best but better than almost anything else I've watched this year.  Low key and with a fine message.  

Patty Jenkins joins the club of people who are perfectly able to direct a movie, but should on no account be allowed to write the screenplay. 

WW84 is just a dumb dumb movie. Also, really stupidly dumb. And just about every problem in the movie stems from a screenplay that is just completely idiotic. Talented actors running around with horrible material. Frankly, Pedro Pascal has got to be wishing he had spent that entire movie inside his Mandalorian helmet. He is a good actor, but not in WW84.  Happily Gal Gadot looks great, so I have a high tolerance for her not being a great actor.

--

Soren

21 hours ago, Soren Ras said:

Patty Jenkins joins the club of people who are perfectly able to direct a movie, but should on no account be allowed to write the screenplay. 

WW84 is just a dumb dumb movie. Also, really stupidly dumb. And just about every problem in the movie stems from a screenplay that is just completely idiotic. Talented actors running around with horrible material. Frankly, Pedro Pascal has got to be wishing he had spent that entire movie inside his Mandalorian helmet. He is a good actor, but not in WW84.  Happily Gal Gadot looks great, so I have a high tolerance for her not being a great actor.

--

Soren

Very very. +10000000000