Movies

Tommy Bennett

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

RE: Lucas, the thing that surprised me about his "BIG Moneymaking Franchise" is that his inspiration (as an angry stupid film student) was Nixon was the Emperor and the NVA were the rebels; It was never clear to me until those damned Ewoks showed up in Return of The Jedi.

Naturally there was no USSR or PRC in the movies, slippin' the rebs their equipment.

Got to watch Greyhound, makes for a good action movie, and in common with current movies, adds some needless fluff (love interest that is irrelevant really, religion that is only an add on) while not building up the main character so we know his background. Tom Hanks acts good and the music score is epic enough.

Action scenes are World of Warships - North Atlantic, with ranges that are laughably short, situations that happen at speed that are irreal, faceless, evil Germans that are so noob they don't post outlooks when on the surface, periscopes that stick 12 feet high, ships that bounce when colliding, etc.

It's not The Cruel Sea, The Enemy Below or Saving Private Ryan...

Edited by RETAC21

Got to watch Greyhound, makes for a good action movie, and in common with current movies, adds some needless fluff (love interest that is irrelevant really, religion that is only an add on) while not building up the main character so we know his background.

Action scenes are World of Warships - North Atlantic, with ranges that are laughably short, situations that happen at speed that are irreal, faceless, evil Germans that are so noob they don't post outlooks when on the surface, periscopes that stick 12 feet high, ships that bounce when colliding, etc.

It's not The Cruel Sea, The Enemy Below or Saving Private Ryan...

I watched it and liked it, but it's basically a 90-minute-long action sequence; like you said, no back-story or anything like that. Kind of surprised they left out the Polish destroyer from the book. Actually I thought the fact that the captain's a very devout Christian was handled pretty well and explains a lot of his decisions.

Edited by Brian Kennedy

• 2 months later...

Speaking of Greyhound, I JUST finished watching The Midway movie; it looked fine, but rather 'cartoony' without there being a 'real' carrier or other authentic warship to film on. That being as it may, everyone simply looks too young or lacks the gravitas/grime of the 'older' classics and the new world of 'shaky cam'.

Then again, many of them were pretty young at the time. I thought the new Midway film wasn't half as bad as many make it to be. Maybe a bit too ambitious in trying to depict both Pearl Harbor and Midway in a single film, but then again it wasn't made for old people like us and military historians but for a millenial audience brought up on video games with possibly only a sketchy grasp on how it all developed, 50...60 years before they were born.

3 hours ago, NickM said:

Speaking of Greyhound, I JUST finished watching The Midway movie; it looked fine, but rather 'cartoony' without there being a 'real' carrier or other authentic warship to film on. That being as it may, everyone simply looks too young or lacks the gravitas/grime of the 'older' classics and the new world of 'shaky cam'.

Everyone looks too young because we got used to WW2 vets playing WW2 soldiers in the 1950s and '60s. Compare the ages of actors in films like The Longest Day with the ages of the real life people they played.

6 hours ago, R011 said:

Everyone looks too young because we got used to WW2 vets playing WW2 soldiers in the 1950s and '60s. Compare the ages of actors in films like The Longest Day with the ages of the real life people they played.

Understand completely; the 'real' soldiers were pretty young; but they seemed to have a bit more 'grit' to them.

Maybe the Depression made them 'harder'.

8 hours ago, NickM said:

Understand completely; the 'real' soldiers were pretty young; but they seemed to have a bit more 'grit' to them.

Maybe the Depression made them 'harder'.

Or just life in general. Consider an 18 year old farm boy in 1941. Hours of chores before school, after school, all summer, etc.

14 hours ago, rmgill said:

Yep... all look very young...

I don't just mean the age; I mean the actors don't look 'hard enough' for the parts; maybe they needed to go thru one of Dale Dye's 'boot camps' to strip off some poundage and add some fatigue?

As I recall from the 'First Team' some of the USN squadron honchos (Jimmy Flatley was born in 1906 for ex) were nearing their mid to late thirties when 'Dubya Dubya Too' broke out.

I wanted to give a shout out to an Australian mil/hist writer: Michael J. Claringbould; he's the author of a whole bunch of SouthWest Pacific Air War books (here's his Amazon page: https://www.amazon.com/s?i=stripbooks&rh=p_27%3AMichael+John+Claringbould&s=relevancerank&text=Michael+John+Claringbould&ref=dp_byline_sr_book_1 )

IN addition to being pretty good 'canned history', he also takes the time to talk about the various ships that are 'under the bombsight' and gives us a good idea of their AAA defenses they were equipped with, along with the 'pluses and minuses' of the weapons.

Speaking of the movie again, there was a scene where Richard Best's wife and kid are at their house and they are literally eye level with 'Battleship Row', watching from their front lawn as it's getting pounded.

I was just wondering for those folks who know Pearl's layout. Was there personnel housing that close or is it merely a bit of 'dramatic license'?