What song are you listening to right now?

Well the oldest has discovered some music I like: Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil, Evenescence, Nightwish, etc AKA Goth Metal. This stuff is great, why is there nothing worthwhile except ©rap coming from the US music scene with the sole exception of Evenescence? What happened to the US Music scene? ©rap happened. Almost all the good bands are European these days. Of course the oldest's tastes mirror mine to a large extent (except she does not like RUSH, Blue Oyster Cult, Jethro Tull, Kansas, and some others). Good kid. The youngest is still into Disney-Tunes although she is coming along, but listens to more country.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well the oldest has discovered some music I like: Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil, Evenescence, Nightwish, etc AKA Goth Metal. This stuff is great, why is there nothing worthwhile except ©rap coming from the US music scene with the sole exception of Evenescence? What happened to the US Music scene? ©rap happened. Almost all the good bands are European these days. Of course the oldest's tastes mirror mine to a large extent (except she does not like RUSH, Blue Oyster Cult, Jethro Tull, Kansas, and some others). Good kid. The youngest is still into Disney-Tunes although she is coming along, but listens to more country.

Don't be astonished...for the most part, the fan base of those bands (well, maybe not Kansas) was male. Sure, "Don't Fear the Reaper" was wildly popular with everybody, but for the most part, even then, chicks never listened to anything else from their album(s)*. Rush was a guy's music big time, and even they acknowledge that.

*for example...

Edited by Doug Kibbey

Great Song! Just great wake up music....

Don't be astonished...for the most part, the fan base of those bands (well, maybe not Kansas) was male. Sure, "Don't Fear the Reaper" was wildly popular with everybody, but for the most part, even then, chicks never listened to anything else from their album(s)*. Rush was a guy's music big time, and even they acknowledge that.

*for example...

Now that they have decent quality vids from "Home of the Brave" on the tube, I have some downloading to do....

Sadly, a decent version of the chilling "White Lily" is not posted. :angry2:

What Fassbinder film is it?

The one-armed man walks into a flower shop and says:

What flower expresses....days go by

And they just keep going by endlessly

Pulling you Into the future

Days go by

Endlessly

Endlessly pulling you

Into the future?

And the florist says:

"White Lily."

Edited by Doug Kibbey

My wasted youth... :lol:

You may be astonished to learn that Ofra Haza actually got airplay on American pop radio in the late '80's("Shaday"-1988). Never heard of her until this came out and I bought the CD within about 48 hours. And that was before "Amazon" so I had to actually go to a place known in ancient times as a "record store" and it was actually in stock. If she'd done more ballads in English in those years she might have been huge here.

Edited by Doug Kibbey

Both scenes from "McCabe and Mrs. Miller", one of the greatest adaptations of existing music to a soundtrack...and one of the least known but best westerns ever. The entire soundtrack is comprised of songs from his first album, "Songs of Leonard Cohen" (1967). "Winter Lady" was also on the soundtrack.

Edited by Doug Kibbey

...Both scenes from "McCabe and Mrs. Miller"...

Great movie...

There is a folder on my computer named 3C - Cash, Cave, Cohen.

Found this on youtube someone did about year 1976 songs that the video maker figured should have made it bigger. Some pretty interesting clips ones and stories. Some TN-ers will be surprized and sure to enjoy the 2nd one in ;)

Blast from the past...All from the epic Alan Parsons Project "The Turn of a Friendly Card". Never bought into "I, Robot", but I bought this one immediately.

"Nothing Left To Lose"

"The Ace of Swords"

"The Turn of a Friendly Card, Pt.I"

..and there's a lot more to this album...it's all there on the "Tube".

Edited by Doug Kibbey

• 2 weeks later...

Paradise by the Dashboard Light by Meatloaf.

Played at the funeral of a dear good friend - to the consternation of some, the bemusement of others, and knowing amusement of those who knew.

Pete - merry meet, merry part, and merry meet again.

Edited by Assessor

The Ipod picks the songs (set it on shuffle and just let it go).

Ran through a massive lightning/rain storm, in-which my tank was struck, st elmos dancing around, and flames shot out the prv, but didn't break our stride one bit. Shoved 10th gear down its throat and came out the other side.

A lot of wild fires around the area. Ran through three of them last week, and lost 2 driver side mirrors to strikes from vehicles going the other away at a rapid rate...damn close...hell of a week!

Got the day finally off and waiting to get back in the saddle at 4am.

Garth Brooks - Ain't going down