What song are you listening to right now?

Blew it with the Tapestry CD.

"Tapestry" was, at the time, the fastest selling album in history, only surpassed five years later by "Frampton Comes Alive".

...and the best song on the album and still hot as hell today was....

"Smackwater Jack"

(the fella's will appreciate it for the backup girls, if nothing else ;) )

Edited by Doug Kibbey

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tapestry is definately one of my very top all time favorites. It never gets old for me :) I'll have to pick up my own album ... well, CD, one day soon when flush. Actually a CD player (not using my computer) would be great too. New Years Resolution ... get a CD player and start collecting CD's before the end of 2010 hopefully :)

I love Carole King's voice and songs. Strong, clear, and good felt-songs.

Smackwater Jack ... WHO in their right mind can listen to that without jumping up and boogeyin' I don't know. I'm breathless :D :D :D

Thanks for the dance Doug. Charmed, I'm sure :D

Mary Fahl has a self-described sound that is just "on the edge of creepiness", but I think Loreena McKennitt gets it better. Also, her themes are darker.

Relevance: Viewers of the film "Soldier" will recall her "Night Ride Across the Caucasus" (or maybe just Connie Nielson ;) )

Night Ride Across The Caucasus

The Bonny Swans (VERY dark)*

Mystic's Dream

*A farmer there lived in the north country

a hey ho bonny o

And he had daughters one, two, three

The swans swim so bonny o

These daughters they walked by the river's brim

a hey ho bonny o

The eldest pushed the youngest in

The swans swim so bonny o

Oh sister, oh sister, pray lend me your hand

with a hey ho a bonny o

And I will give you house and land

the swans swim so bonny o

I'll give you neither hand nor glove

with a hey ho a bonny o

Unless you give me your own true love

Sometimes she sank, sometimes she swam

with a hey ho and a bonny o

Until she came to a miller's dam

The miller's daughter, dressed in red

She went for some water to make some bread

Oh father, oh daddy, here swims a swan

It's very like a gentle woman

They placed her on the bank to dry

There came a harper passing by

He made harp pins of her fingers fair

He made harp strings of her golden hair

He made a harp of her breast bone

And straight it began to play alone

He brought it to her father's hall

And there was the court, assembled all

He laid the harp upon a stone

And straight it began to play lone

And there does sit my father the King

And yonder sits my mother the Queen

And there does sit my brother Hugh

And by him William, sweet and true

And there does sit my false sister, Anne

Who drowned me for the sake of a man

Edited by Doug Kibbey

I'm sure this was the album "Sandy" :)

Now I'll listen to some more of the songs you guys posted ....

Sandy Dennis compared favorably, but erroneously (IMHO) with Steeleye Span* (which is to say, Maddy Prior). Loreena McKennitt, above, does much to capture what Steeleye Span began in 1969. Prior was probably the best of the female minstrel singers and they did some pretty dark themes themselves. Search Youtube for their versions of "Dark Eyed Sailor" and "The Blacksmith". And they incorporated a lot of electric instruments that somehow disappeared into the songs, but add power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steeleye_Span

"Dark Eyed Sailor" and "The Blacksmith". And they incorporated a lot of electric instruments that somehow disappeared into the songs, but add power.

I found and listened to both, and really liked the singing and the music. Loved the violins sounds and timings!!! ;)

Actually as I was listening to them I was really reminded of a lot of Flying Mountain songs and sounds. I sure wish they had never ended their band as they were hot. They really fueled their audiences and packed The Joint whenever they played. High energy and extremely creative with their music and everyone dancing in their seats if no room to stand, which there never was when they played. Don't know why they ever stopped and imagine if they'd kept it up and evolved they'd be totally amazing. I guess it takes a lot, on a lot of levels, to make a band and keep it alive.

Edited by VenerableDamePW

When running my last minute errands this afternoon I used my "Angry Chick Rocker" playlist. :)

Lone Justice - "Shelter"

Avril Lavigne & The Goo Goo Dolls - "Iris"

Josie Cotton - "Jimmy loves Maryann"

Pat Benatar - "We live for love" & "Invincible'

The Motels - "Shame"

Bonnie Tyler - "Here she comes"

Tina Turner - "It's only love"

Curve - Coast is clear"

Dusty Springfield - "Shout" & "People get ready"

The Donna's - "Take it off"

Rickie Lee Jones - "The Real End"

Sarah Mclachlan & Delerium - "Silence'

Diana Ross & The supremes - "Reflections" (Chine Beach Version), "Love Is Here and Now You're Gone" & "My World Is Empty Without You"

In about an hour (PST) I need to switch to my "Party like I'm drunk and stupid" playlist. :lol:

Sandy Dennis compared favorably, but erroneously (IMHO) with Steeleye Span* (which is to say, Maddy Prior). Loreena McKennitt, above, does much to capture what Steeleye Span began in 1969. Prior was probably the best of the female minstrel singers and they did some pretty dark themes themselves. Search Youtube for their versions of "Dark Eyed Sailor" and "The Blacksmith". And they incorporated a lot of electric instruments that somehow disappeared into the songs, but add power.

Sandy Dennis was the actress ... Sandy Denny the singer. Am I right? ;)

I found and listened to both, and really liked the singing and the music. Loved the violins sounds and timings!!! ;)

Actually as I was listening to them I was really reminded of a lot of Flying Mountain songs and sounds. I sure wish they had never ended their band as they were hot. They really fueled their audiences and packed The Joint whenever they played. High energy and extremely creative with their music and everyone dancing in their seats if no room to stand, which there never was when they played. Don't know why they ever stopped and imagine if they'd kept it up and evolved they'd be totally amazing. I guess it takes a lot, on a lot of levels, to make a band and keep it alive.

Well, if the theme appeals, then there's always....

Velvet Green

Anderson was so born in the wrong century.

Wow ... quite the song :D

Velvet Green

Walking on velvet green. Scots pine growing.

Isn't it rare to be taking the air, singing.

Walking on velvet green.

Walking on velvet green. Distant cows lowing.

Never a care: with your legs in the air, loving.

Walking on velvet green.

Won't you have my company, yes, take it in your hands.

Go down on velvet green, with a country man.

Who's a young girls fancy and an old maid's dream.

Tell your mother that you walked all night on velvet green.

One dusky half-hour's ride up to the north.

There lies your reputation and all that you're worth.

Where the scent of wild roses turns the milk to cream.

Tell your mother that you walked all night on velvet green.

And the long grass blows in the evening cool.

And August's rare delight may be April's fool.

But think not of that, my love,

I'm tight against the seam.

And I'm growing up to meet you down on velvet green.

Now I may tell you that it's love and not just lust.

And if we live the lie, let's lie in trust.

On golden daffodils, to catch the silver stream

that washes out the wild oat seed on velvet green.

We'll dream as lovers under the stars ---

of civilizations raging afar.

And the ragged dawn breaks on your battle scars.

As you walk home cold and alone upon velvet green.

Walking on velvet green. Scots pine growing.

Isn't it rare to be taking the air, singing.

Walking on velvet green.

Walking on velvet green. Distant cows lowing.

Never a care: with your legs in the air, loving.

Walking on velvet green.

Listening to vast amounts of Sabaton tonight as I troubleshoot a switch that is collapsing under the New Years load.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeE3Twf6B1I...feature=related (stupid video good song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1-wrh0nuAc (slightly less annoying video for one of my favorite songs)

Listening to vast amounts of Sabaton tonight as I troubleshoot a switch that is collapsing under the New Years load.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeE3Twf6B1I...feature=related (stupid video good song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1-wrh0nuAc (slightly less annoying video for one of my favorite songs)

The Swedish music industry thanks you.

Here is the song that has been going through my mind on a constant basis recently:

http://viddug.com/video.cfm/vid/2110987059...nois/The_Maker/

Played during the End Credits of the EXCELLENT movie "Slingblade." Lanois does most of the movie soundtrack as well.

Have just been listening to some youtubes of the Real MacKenzies. Those guys are bad, and I mean REALLY BAD BOYS personally! I saw some performances by them which were over the top and while I ended up enjoying a lot of their playing/music in some numbers they tore the roof off the place with their volume, pissing the club owner and tenants off, hype and crazyness too muchness hyperactive behaviors ... after the gig they did something REALLY bad, not meaning the flashing of their naked arses and things by flipping their kilts at the audience as they do, and I'll always remember that BAD thing most about them ... remember with disgust ... crazy stuff. Too bad as they can really sing and play up a storm when doing awesome old tunes with new life, very up. Wish they had chosen nicer personas, but I guess punk rock isn't nice, is it? And too bad they didn't leave the bad boy personas on the stage when their performances ended.

http://www.realmckenzies.com/Welcome.html

Mine was "You ain't foolin' me" fromt the "A New Life" album. Can't find you youtube, sadly. Some fine instrumental solos on that one.

Two of those boys, and at least one Caldwell, was a VN veteran.

Toy Caldwell was a Marine Vietnam vet. I worked in a bar in SC before I joined the military. The owner had gone to school with most of the guys from MTB. Got to listen to him jam a bunch of times when he was trying new stuff out.

Dude had a tough life. Lost his little brother who was killed by a trash truck that had it's brakes fail. Two weeks later, Tommy Caldwell, MTB's bass player died in a car accident when his vehicle rolled over front ways and the roll cage gave just a tiny bit.

Toy Caldwell was a Marine Vietnam vet. I worked in a bar in SC before I joined the military. The owner had gone to school with most of the guys from MTB. Got to listen to him jam a bunch of times when he was trying new stuff out.

Dude had a tough life. Lost his little brother who was killed by a trash truck that had it's brakes fail. Two weeks later, Tommy Caldwell, MTB's bass player died in a car accident when his vehicle rolled over front ways and the roll cage gave just a tiny bit.

Thanks for that, m1a1mg....

Jorma Kaukonen's R&R Hall of Fame induction number. He wrote this as part of a guitar workshop when he was just beginning.

Embryonic Journey