Civilization III

Jim Martin

Shana,

Okay, I toiled through, and finally oil did appear for me. Same-same aluminum and uranium, when I researched the appropriate techs. Spaceship launched in 2019, Warlord Level, 4 opponents (Germans, Americans, Persians, and Indians). I played the French (yeah yeah, I know...but Commercial and Industrious works well for me--since when did Sid decide that the FRENCH were industrious???) My ruler wound up with the title, "Joan the Cruel".

I'm now trying to do it at Regent Level, huge map, 4 opponents again. What a bitch. But I want opponents who actually develop their cities--I got tired of wasting sailing ships and ironclads with my battleships, destroyers, and nuclear carriers. I want dogfights! I want to put my ABM shield to work! I want a real, modern opponent, and I want to march into a conquered city and find more than 2 improvements!

Hmmmmm....wanna play against me online?

[Edited by Jim Martin (12 Jan 2002).]

Can we do that? (Play CIV III online?) Hmmmm.....

The highest I have gotten is Mao the Fair. I didn't destroy all of my enemies. I usually play 6 or 7 opponents, but I know what you mean, no challenge.

So, what did you think the spaceship looked like? It kills me everytime I look at it.

I think you definitely would! Anybody with a thing for strategy has to like Civilization. It's just that part III isn't THAT muhc better than part II IMHO and hence people that have played Civ II before might be a bit disappointed, but since you have never played Civ yet, that wouldn't be a problem in your case.

I like CIV II and CIV II Test of Time better than CIV III.

While I do like the improvements in CIV III and some of the graphis and the other add ons, I can't for the life of me last more then 8 turns...in any of the settings...

• 2 weeks later...

OK. Finally figured out the spying missions. Once you build the CIA, you right click on that city to conduct an espionage mission and plant a spy in whatever country you want. Then when you go to conduct a mission, you can choose to either use your spy or use your embassy. I've had some of my spies caught, but no ill effects from it as of yet.

Was kind of disapointed in Civ III, of cource I bought Alpha Centauri and Call To Power II, at least I never paid for Civ III. I like Empire Earth and Cossacks more. Cossacks is basically AOE II, but it has cool units, Cossacks and Polish Winged Hussars and the like.

Did you ever get the "Gold" edition of the original Civ II? It's got a bunch of historical war scenarios, fantasy and sci-fi mods, the works. I think you can find it for about ten bucks now. I think I played Civ III twice since I bought it -- I still play Civ II all the time.

Originally posted by Jim Martin:

I picked up Civ:  Call to Power II...and was just really...really...disappointed.  I hated the interface, disliked the graphics, and was just really....really.......disapointed.