Bad Food

Harold Jones

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anthony Bourdain (spelling?) once had a show where he went upriver to a small village in Vietnam where he ate Heart of Cobra. They brought the live cobra out and had some sort of ceremony, then cut its heart out and put it (still beating) in a ceremonial cup with blood and he gulped it down in one shot.

Found it:

Edited by Rocky Davis

I just think the food is shit, period. Leaving aside the nutritional aspect (and Mickey D's is needlessly atrocious) there are good ways to make a burger...and then theirs the really really really bad way as practiced by McD's. Its an insult to your palate.

TomasCTT - Look up Eggs Benedict, and I'll drag out my own recipe for a homemade McBreakfast.

Well, the thread IS about "bad" food... :P And yes, I like 'em, on occasion, as well as Wendy's, Hardee's, Burger King, etc, etc. I'll take good burgers also.

As I type this, I'm sitting in a McDonald's. I like their coffee, as well.

And you were doing SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO well...

I make my own homemade McMuffin, and am pretty dab hand at a burger. I'll post recipes that will get you from Mcmuffin to homemade Big Mac if you promise to repent your sins against good taste.

I was sorely tempted to getting me a cheeseburger at McDonald's yesterday on the way home 'coz I was hungry. But the smell of Jamaican patty wafting at the train station got me. It helped that Jamaican patty is 1) spicy, 2) tastes much better, 3) filling, 4) with 12oz. lemonade, still cheaper than a cheeseburger meal, and 5) doesn't make me go to the toilet as fast as McDonalds cheeseburger.

Jamaican patty... mmmmm.... the current #1 reason for emptying my wallet hehe....

I just think the food is shit, period. Leaving aside the nutritional aspect (and Mickey D's is needlessly atrocious) there are good ways to make a burger...

Yep. Near home there's a small eatery that serves IMO the best burgers here. Big ones, tastes great, quite a wide selection (so far I've eaten 2/3s of the lineup - on different occasions of course) and best of all, cheaper than McDonald's. One can get similar burgers at Burger King, Brothers Burgers and Hot Shots (the last disappointed me), but these three are so much more expensive than the one near home.

I looked up Eggs Benedict and oh my they look yummy. If you got a recipe, I shall await it, thanks. :)

http://208.84.116.223/forums/index.php?act...amp;qpid=705263

Anthony Bourdain (spelling?) once had a show where he went upriver to a small village in Vietnam where he ate Heart of Cobra. They brought the live cobra out and had some sort of ceremony, then cut its heart out and put it (still beating) in a ceremonial cup with blood and he gulped it down in one shot.

I wonder if he got a sip of snake wine when he was here in the Philippines. :D I haven't tried that, but one of my friends did. When they drank it, they felt like burning. I think they drank preservative (formaldehyde?). :wacko:

Bourdain did love our lechon baboy (particularly the Cebu lechon), so much so he named it the best roast pig ever in the world. If any of you guys come over, you'll have to eat 1) balut, 2) crispy pata,* 3) sizzling pork sisig,** and of course 4) lechon baboy, all accompanied by our San Miguel beer.

* - deep fried pork leg; crunchy outside, tender on the inside.

** - made out of the parts of pig's head, liver, with chili peppers and our version of the lemon. Best eaten without egg or mayo (some put mayo on it hen serving it on a sizzling black iron hot plate, some put egg - ask waiter not to put both if you don't like any)

Saladin: I once ate a seafood dish that can kill anyone shortly after eating it. :D I dunno what it's called, but it tastes so damn good. What makes it a killer is the crab eggs, or aligue. The sauce is made out of that aligue, and the crab meat, squid and other seafood plus a few veggies cooked with it. Result is a somewhat smelly but heavenly yummy dish that will clog the heart faster than eating bacon. :D The sauce alone, plus rice, is a meal on its own. Gawd I wish I remember the name of the dish and where I ate it, it was years ago and I was a little lad back then.

Edited by TomasCTT

Bourdain did love our lechon baboy (particularly the Cebu lechon), so much so he named it the best roast pig ever in the world. If any of you guys come over, you'll have to eat 1) balut, 2) crispy pata,* 3) sizzling pork sisig,** and of course 4) lechon baboy, all accompanied by our San Miguel beer.

More from Bourdain's Vietnam trip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWSvv7hmWSU...feature=related

I looked up Eggs Benedict and oh my they look yummy. If you got a recipe, I shall await it, thanks. :)

Maxx's Eggs Benedict

Ingredients

3 tbsp white wine vinegar

4 large eggs

4 round breakfast muffins

1 batch hot hollandaise sauce*

4 slices of bacon, or Parma ham, pancetta, or Serrano, Bayonne, or Black Forrest ham (you get the idea)

Method

Bring a deep saucepan of water to the boil (at least 2 litres) and add the vinegar.

Break the eggs into 4 separate coffee cups or ramekins. Swirl the vinegary water briskly to form a vortex and slide in an egg. It will curl round and set to a neat round shape. Cook for 2-3 mins, then remove with a slotted spoon. Kitchen paper too dry of is nice.

Repeat with the other eggs, one at a time, re-swirling the water as you slide in the eggs.

Put the muffins under a grill, toast them and warm some plates.

Spread some sauce on each muffin, scrunch a slice of ham on top, then top with an egg. Spoon over the remaining hollandaise and put back together undr the grill for just a jigger until the top of the hollandaise has started to glaze. Devour immediately.

Excellent calorie packed hangover cure I still eat even though I no longer drink. Goes well after a night on Gin.

*Either heat up or make your own. Read some people prefer their sauce minted (mint mixed in)- have yet to try, but seems a simple adjustment.

Found you a sauce recipe

For the minted Hollandaise sauce

* 150g unsalted butter

* 2 free-range egg yolks

* 6 coriander seeds, crushed

* 1 ½ teaspoons reduced white wine vinegar

* Squeeze of lemon juice

* Pinch of cayenne pepper

* 4 large mint leaves, cut into thin julienne strips

* Sea salt

1. To make the hollandaise, melt the butter in a pan over a gentle heat, then carefully pour off the golden oil into a jug and discard the milky solids. Set the clarified butter aside to cool until lukewarm.

2. Put the egg yolks, crushed coriander and 1 tablespoon cold water into a heatproof bowl and fit snugly over a pan of gently simmering water. Using a hand-held stick blender or electric whisk, beat until very light and frothy (this makes it easier to incorporate the butter).

3. Remove the bowl from the heat and continue whisking for a couple more minutes, then slowly trickle in the runny butter as you continue to whisk. Don't add the butter too quickly or it will curdle. When all the butter is incorporated, season with salt and add the reduced vinegar, lemon juice and cayenne. Finally, fold in the chopped mint. Set the bowl back over the pan of hot water (but off the heat) to keep warm; stir occasionally to stop a skin forming. If the sauce does happen to split, whisk in a trickle of cold water to re-emulsify it.

Thanks Maxx. :)

De nada - and remember if suffering from a hangover even just slicing a croissant in half, dumping it under the grill, topping with mayo, beacon, mayo, poached egg, mayo on top + pepper with a side of carbonated mineral water/orange juice/jug of coffee (all, not or) also works a damn treat ;)

My favorite hangover cure used to be an order of egg rolls and fried rice from a Chinese restaurant just outside the front gate at Ft. Carson. The egg rolls were wads of garlic and minced beef wrapped in wanton wrappers and deep fried in grease that was probably older than I was. A dozen of those (they were bite sized) dunked in sriracha sauce would settle your stomach and prepare the way for the 'meat' fried rice liberally sprinkled with what they claimed was soy sauce.

My favorite hangover cure used to be an order of egg rolls and fried rice from a Chinese restaurant just outside the front gate at Ft. Carson. The egg rolls were wads of garlic and minced beef wrapped in wanton wrappers and deep fried in grease that was probably older than I was. A dozen of those (they were bite sized) dunked in sriracha sauce would settle your stomach and prepare the way for the 'meat' fried rice liberally sprinkled with what they claimed was soy sauce.

You sure that wasn't an MRE? :blink:

You sure that wasn't an MRE? :blink:

"Now that you mention it...

I guess I should also admit that I was more than passing fond of the Corned Beef MRE especially for breakfast."--Harold Jones

Well, MREs are a natural for a "bad food" thread. :P

BTD. The only MREs I disliked were those containing the fruit-salad styrofoam brick, which came with the mystery-meat styrofoam brick. Both bricks required hydration. I spit on them. That didn't seem to help.

Shot

Maybe if you pee on them there'll be added flavour. :unsure: :P

I had a gunner who swore by the the Styrofoam fruit for breakfast. He crumbled it and his crackers into a canteen cup and added the non-dairy creamer, the sugar packet and water to it. He claimed it was just like having cereal. I found the best use for the pork puck was to crumble it up and mix it in with my ramen noodles.

• 2 years later...

TEDxManhattan 2011 Fellow Stefani Bardin's video, below, shows what happens in your body when you eat processed foods vs. homemade versions of similar foods, using a tiny "M2A" (that stands for Mouth to Anus, and it's trademarked, mind you) LED/camera capsule. The project looks at two subjects eating two similar meals: one composed of processed foods (gatorade, ramen, and gummi bears); the other of homemade versions (hibiscus drink, homemade broth with noodles and gummi bears made of juice). What happens to the foods is drastically different; possibly because, as Bardin puts it, Top Ramen is made to survive armageddon, while homemade noodles are made to be eaten.

Warning: It's best to watch this video after you've eaten your breakfast.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/09/ramen-digestion_n_1263825.html?ref=mostpopular

• 1 month later...

Back when I was a security guard, I used to love having a Sunday worksite breakfast of a can of sardines packed in tomato sauce along with a bag of Dorito Nacho Cheese chips and washed down with a bottle of Dr Pepper soda. Sounds awful, but tasted pretty good. Cheap fare too!

(Reuters) - It's the end of a school day in the eastern Chinese city of Dongyang, and eager parents collect their children after a hectic day of primary school.

But that's just the start of busy times for dozens of egg vendors across the city, deep in coastal Zhejiang province, who ready themselves to cook up a unique springtime snack favoured by local residents.

Basins and buckets of boys' urine are collected from primary school toilets. It is the key ingredient in "virgin boy eggs", a local tradition of soaking and cooking eggs in the urine of young boys, preferably below the age of 10.

There is no good explanation for why it has to be boys' urine, just that it has been so for centuries.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/03/29/china-urine-eggs-idINDEE82S07X20120329

Back when I was a security guard, I used to love having a Sunday worksite breakfast of a can of sardines packed in tomato sauce along with a bag of Dorito Nacho Cheese chips and washed down with a bottle of Dr Pepper soda. Sounds awful, but tasted pretty good. Cheap fare too!

Running border patrols my fare was sardines in a mustard sauce, saltines, coffee. Fig Newtons played a prominent role in my diet as well.

Running border patrols my fare was sardines in a mustard sauce, saltines, coffee. Fig Newtons played a prominent role in my diet as well.

Good ole' canned sardines! You can't go wrong with them in whatever variety you choose!