In praise of Coffee

X-Files

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True, while I use coffee maker at work which always has a good coffee, I still prefer 'worse' instant coffee at home, only because it's faster to make. If I had to clean the coffee maker in the morning like I have to do at work from time to time, I would probably go and murder someone instead. Nothing should stand between my and my desire for a cigarette and a VERY QUICK COFFEE in the morning.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was surprised at how little the decaff served in the office coffee bar sucked, but I tend to drink lattes and I suspect that masks a lot of misery.

I'd take a fresh espresso brew decaff over any variant of Nescafe instant full-fat anytime, unless I absolutely needed to stay awake.

There are some good decaf beans, and at one point I weaned myself off caffeine, but reality decided otherwise.

The very best decaff isn't going to be better than its caffeinated equivalent, it can only be about as good.

And it usually falls quite short. I imagine your hospital coffee was burned, lukewarm, ancient and served in a cheap disposable cup, and charged at rates normally seen in US Pharmacies.

19 hours ago, DB said:

The very best decaff isn't going to be better than its caffeinated equivalent, it can only be about as good.

And it usually falls quite short. I imagine your hospital coffee was burned, lukewarm, ancient and served in a cheap disposable cup, and charged at rates normally seen in US Pharmacies.

I am waiting on the bill.  But at least it had caffeine in it which is what I needed.  With enough milk it was drinkable, just.  I am at my favorite hippy coffee shop drinking one of the finest cups within 50 miles, even better than what I can make.  

Robert Heinlein graded coffee as follows: Coffee, Java, Joe, Jamoke, and Carbon Remover.  The hospital stuff was no better than grade 4 on this list.  

• 2 months later...

A lot of consumables seem to be led by belief rather than reality.  It has been suggested that the micro ground coffee variety is better than instant but, seeing I could not get that ended up with instant.  No discernable difference.

I like the variety offered with the Nespresso pod machine though so will just have that instead.

Murph, did you try Aeropress? Also produces very, very good coffee and is small enough to be carried on various trips.

I have not tried one of those yet, it is on the list of coffee making devices to try.  The Chemex has sold me, and we use it almost daily.  I don't think I have ever had a better cup than I get from the Chemex.  I use Ethiopian beans ground fresh in it. 

Brother is a really big fan of Chemex pour over, but he is even bigger fan of Aeropress. Also prefers Ethiopian, hence I think you will like it. :)

Man, coffee making has developed into an extreme fetish for some. I think it's already been likened in here to the audiophile extremes.

Ok, maybe breaking up your ground coffee with a little spiky doodad might help even flow, but pouring it over a liquid nitrogen chilled steel ball... It's designed to be an easily deliverable and somewhat palatable caffeine delivery system.