In praise of Coffee

X-Files

Cold Brew or Hot Brew? And is there a real taste difference?

Cold coffee! That is an abomination before all that is holy! And secular. And while we're at it, what is this wimpyness in MEN pouring in sugar, cream, "flavorings", except, possibly, a dollop of rum or whiskey in a cup of good joe. We as a nation are definitely loosing our testosterone!

Edited by Rick

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ice cold instant coffee at a beginning of the hot summer day. No sugar or milk, just a good stuff. :).

I also like instant with milk and sugar, also cold later in the day, about lunch time.

Cold coffee! That is an abomination before all that is holy! And secular. And while we're at it, what is this wimpyness in MEN pouring in sugar, cream, "flavorings", except, possibly, a dollop of rum or whiskey in a cup of good joe. We as a nation are definitely loosing our testosterone!

What's wrong with half-decaf double shot hazelnut and stevia soylatte?

everything.

when you have good coffee you can drink it as is. Everything else is only there to cover up the dishwater.

And I am actually more a tea kind of guy. I normally only buy a packet of coffee for guests from the local colonial goods store (really, it is that old) and they roast their own beans.

Cold or hot brew? I assume it pertains to the water temperature? That cetainly has an effect when making tea. So I WAG that it does with coffee as well.

What's wrong with half-decaf double shot hazelnut and stevia soylatte?

everything.

when you have good coffee you can drink it as is. Everything else is only there to cover up the dishwater.

And I am actually more a tea kind of guy. I normally only buy a packet of coffee for guests from the local colonial goods store (really, it is that old) and they roast their own beans.

Cold or hot brew? I assume it pertains to the water temperature? That cetainly has an effect when making tea. So I WAG that it does with coffee as well.

Sounds like an interesting store. Sun brewed Ice tea with a slight amount of sugar is great in the summer. Also I do drink hot tea in the winter after outside work. Tend to favor the stronger, black teas with a little milk and sugar.

I’m a wimp, I like cream, real cream, in my coffee. Half and half will do in a pinch. Sugar, NEVER!!

Black Rifle Coffee company is advertising Cold Brew and how to make Cold Brew. BRCC is manly coffee for manly men!

Black Rifle Coffee company is advertising Cold Brew and how to make Cold Brew. BRCC is manly coffee for manly men!

Any Real and True manly man would know how to build a fire to heat or re-heat a cup of joe ;)

You got me there ;)

Any Real and True manly man would know how to build a fire to heat or re-heat a cup of joe ;)

Black Rifle Coffee company is advertising Cold Brew and how to make Cold Brew. ...

Years ago at the university friend and me used chemical laboratory apparatus to make a quite complicated contraption for cold brew coffee. While complicated to make, taste was out of the this world good.

Its a little expensive, but Gevalia is very good and easy to find. This is what I usta get as a treat. No longer in the brick-and-mortar Walmarts in my AO, but still available online;

26a482d4-c050-48d4-b5af-c4a84b9b0b43_1.3

Most of the time, though, I just buy the store brand "100% Arabica" tins at the supermarket and slug in a bunch of half-n-half and a tablespoon of cappucino mix.

You'll need to figure out what aspects you like and dislike. I cannot stand bitter anything, so that takes about 2/3 of the coffees out there off the table. By trial and error, I have found that I like most Colombian and Sumatran grinds, and so far I have enjoyed Nicaraguan.

You can get Seattle's Best at Walmart, but in my area selection has gone down of late. Likewise for Eight O'Clock brand.

I wisely followed the advice of Mike Steele and bought a french press (a.k.a. coffee press). Even the cheapo Mr. Coffee press is worthwhile, as you'll quickly develop an appreciation for unfiltered coffee.

This is funny :) Gevalia is a bit laughed at in Sweden.

/R

• 3 weeks later...

A friend gave me some coffee the other day from Bones Coffee. She gave me Mustachio, which is pistachio flavored coffee, and Electric Unicorn Fruity Cereal , which is coffee that is supposed to taste like the Fruity Pebbles cereal. I tried the Mustachio today and it was delicious. I'm planning on brewing up some of the Electric Unicorn tomorrow morning to see what that is all about. That is a flavor profile I would have never associated with coffee. I am not very much of a coffee aficionado. I usually just drink store brand decaf coffee, because I am cheap, and don't like caffeine.

If there is real coffee inside it is, sort of. At least "coffee based beverage".

Unthinkable thing for some - people like different things...

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I caved in and bought an espresso machine, with a steam frother. Now I need to find the blend that best suits bleary Saturday mornings. I'm not interested in grinding civet droppings, just something smooth with enough caffeine to make it worth the effort. I wish the local dealers did sample-size packets.

Let me know how it goes, I want to get one myself.

I caved in and bought an espresso machine, with a steam frother. Now I need to find the blend that best suits bleary Saturday mornings. I'm not interested in grinding civet droppings, just something smooth with enough caffeine to make it worth the effort. I wish the local dealers did sample-size packets.

We have a Nespresso machine, and put on it the cheapest capsules available. Good enough for the daily caffeine intake, with a minimum of time wasted.

Edited by sunday

On workdays I drink the company provided swill. At weekends I have time. I do like nespresso pods as a drink, but I don't like the waste inherent in the design. Those pods are probably landfill.

Pods are supposed to switch to a biodegradable next year.

I still don't see advantage to hot/cold water & nescafe gold + (optional) milk & sugar. More convenient for an office for sure, but that is an only real advantage I see about it.

Edited by bojan

Company I work in is awash in the pods of the multiple manufacturers, since we did promotions locally. Compared to them, any Nescafe instant is an ambrosia. Or I am just too used to a damn thing... :D

I picked up one of these a few years ago https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3341740/Ninja-Coffee-Bar-Single-Serve-System.jsp?pfm=bdrecs-WebStore-PDP-Horizontal1-b563-231&bdrecsId=632d20ba-e8be-4922-ba03-04453472e1e3 It makes a decent cup of coffee, and doesn't use pods. It is capable of making various coffee beverages but really I just leave it on Strong and large.