tanknet.org

Gone again

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JamesG123

Had a couple of firsts this week. First time being hit by an RPG and first time rolling over in an MRAP. I'm fine except for some bumps and bruises and I don't recommend the experience.

It was a pretty hairy fight, the makings of Blackhawk Down material if we hadn't have been as lucky as we were. More later, probably much later when the OPSECiness of it diminishes.

I'd forgotten how much I hated the sound of AKs and RPGs being fired at me.

Very happy to hear you are okay, and hope the rest of the team came out all right, too. More than that I will not say, because my ancestral pieties (rudely called 'superstitions' by those who don't share them) particularly include "naming".

Very happy to hear you are okay, and hope the rest of the team came out all right, too.

Ditto. The rolling MRAP, again due to being top heavy or the road giving way underneath it? Or a result of an attack? Keep safe as usual, and give the enemy hell.

Guest JamesG123

The NATO bombing of stolen ISAF fuel tankers in Konduz was about a mile from where my MRAP got hit and knocked out. God help me, I am feeling a bit of smug satisfaction that odds are likely that some of the bad actors from that action probably got their what for today, even if its ultimately counter-productive.

What's the lowdown about that incident on the scene? We're seeing media reports ranging from "56 Taleban killed while trying to escape with hijacked tankers" to "150 villagers smoked by NATO bombs while Taleban were selflessly distributing captured petrol to the needy population". Since the airstrike was called in by the Bundeswehr, I'm sensing the usual suspects spin up to exploit it against the German engagement in the ongoing election campaign. PM if more appropriate.

Guest JamesG123

As always, a little of both. Sure there were "innocent" civilians, women, children, men who had never fired a shot at CF/ANSF forces before. But there were bound to be bad actors, and all of them were pilfering what they know was ill gotten fuel. The video I've seen looks very similar to the pillaging of my truck. In that case it was close to structures which made striking it a no-go. In this case, there was nothing but the trucks in a river bed with a crowd of looters on and around the trucks.

The Germans have alot of restraint and restrictions upon them. The past two weeks have been alot to put up with, and they'd finally had enough and decided to put a beat down on this bad neighborhood.

• 2 months later...
Guest JamesG123

Things have cooled off here in the North, both literally and figuratively. When it gets wet and cold, "Fighting season" is over here in the North for the Afghans. Which means we and our Nordic allies will run around the battlespace engaging the locals and trying to find bad guys and not running into anything, think we are "winning".

Its the mid point of my rotation and I'm starting the journey to go on leave tomorrow.

Things have cooled off here in the North, both literally and figuratively. When it gets wet and cold, "Fighting season" is over here in the North for the Afghans. Which means we and our Nordic allies will run around the battlespace engaging the locals and trying to find bad guys and not running into anything, think we are "winning".

Its the mid point of my rotation and I'm starting the journey to go on leave tomorrow.

Which is good, since we have to do some building, and it's time to rotate FS17 back home and replace them with FS18.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JamesG123

Yeah very nice. 24hr trip to DC on an AMTRAC train (even "first class") was not.

Had a chance to visit the Antitam battlefield while staying in the VA area. Read about the battle many times, but to see the terrain was quite a shocker. I really can't believe that they actually fought the way that they did.

Still got turkey day to get thru and then a few more days to relax before heading back.

• 3 months later...
Guest JamesG123

My Afghan tour is complete as well. I'm in Manas on our layover/customs hoops doing laundry and charging batteries.

Can't say it was fun or even professionally fulfilling, just glad its over.

Edited by JamesG123