Gone again

Guest JamesG123

Guest JamesG123

After a stay at Camp Shelby, I start the journey to A-stan to begin a ~9 month tour of the country as part of TF Phoenix.

Won't be keeping a running blog here or elsewhere because of doubtful connectivity, OPSEC, and I doubt you guys will as want to hear me bitch about things. Will check in when possible, so take care and I'll see you next year.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a stay at Camp Shelby, I start the journey to A-stan to begin a ~9 month tour of the country as part of TF Phoenix.

Won't be keeping a running blog here or elsewhere because of doubtful connectivity, OPSEC, and I doubt you guys will as want to hear me bitch about things. Will check in when possible, so take care and I'll see you next year.

Take care.

Take care and good luck.

And I'm sure most of us would be interested in a blog, no matter how infrequent. Doesn't have to be about military stuff. Just everyday observations on terrain, climate, local culture, that sort of thing would help us understand Afghanistan a little bit more. As you know, Astan gets far too little press in the US.

...I doubt you guys will as want to hear me bitch about things. Will check in when possible, so take care and I'll see you next year.

Bitch creatively and informatively, and it is better than "Just the facts, m'am". I want to hear it.

Take care and good luck.

And I'm sure most of us would be interested in a blog, no matter how infrequent. Doesn't have to be about military stuff. Just everyday observations on terrain, climate, local culture, that sort of thing would help us understand Afghanistan a little bit more. As you know, Astan gets far too little press in the US.

Second!

Take care and good luck.

Ditto. All the stuff Manic, Franko, Ken, and all those who've been to the sandbox are "living history" (for lack of a proper term), just as personal experiences of past veterans in previous wars are now input for history books etc. The tales are all priceless and deserve to be preserved.

Guest JamesG123

Thanks everyone. I will post when I can. Currently I'm at Manas AB in Kajikistan staging and trying to adjust to the local time.. It's a small but nice place. Pretty good facilities equal to some CONUS bases (Army anyway).

Amusingly the local web server had Tank-net blocked as having "weapons" content. But I guess my request to have it allowed had been accepted.

Should make the hop to Baghram in a few days.

Sounds like you should have a special thread like Franko did and next to his for the times you do make it online??? Or maybe there's one started already ....

Again stay safe, take care and don't let the sand get in your eyes :)

Thanks everyone. I will post when I can. Currently I'm at Manas AB in Kajikistan staging and trying to adjust to the local time.. It's a small but nice place. Pretty good facilities equal to some CONUS bases (Army anyway).

Amusingly the local web server had Tank-net blocked as having "weapons" content. But I guess my request to have it allowed had been accepted.

Should make the hop to Baghram in a few days.

Manas is a nice place compared to many other areas. I had a good time in Kyrgyzstan back in 2004-2005.

That a US Mil server or the Kyrgyz censor?

I think several of us posted from bishkek over the years...Weird...

Do yourself a favour and go grab yourself some Kymyz :lol:

Edited by Luke_Yaxley

Do yourself a favour and go grab yourself some Kymyz :lol:

....fermented mares' milk. (no green queasy emoticon available) I'll try almost anything once, but that is outside the boundaries of "almost" for me.

Guest JamesG123
That a US Mil server or the Kyrgyz censor?

It's whomever is providing the local unsecured internet service. I can't recall the company, but they said/warned us that it went thru China (as opposed to sat).