The Manic Diaries, Afghan Edition.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ISTR watching on BBC or some other cable channel about the gunsmiths in Afghanistan, and they were making old rifles from tin or whatever metal they get, plus some wood. I could not recall what the guns were, if they were Enfield clones or something even simpler/more primitive.

Mostly a village in Pak called Darra Adam khel - All they do there is make guns. Everything you can think of.

What is AFN thinking? The TV in the chow hall was showing the Miss Hooters pageant, I dropped by during the swimsuit competition. Don't they know what that will do to us, confined to seeing military women for most of a year? (That said, the NE Patriots cheerleaders are at Bde HQ next week, different base. Squadron XO feels a sudden need to attend in person a particularly important staff meeting that day...)

I'm really not sure about MRAPs. Entire squadron's operations practically came to a halt over an MRAP that fell off a cliff a few days ago. Nobody hurt, but until we could drag it out, for five days we had to focus on it. (My favourite solution proposed for removing the MRAP: 20x155mm rounds in the back). Rolled another last night, bruises and a broken nose. Plus, the RG is easily the most uncomfortable vehicle I've ever been in.

NTM

Guest JamesG123

Then don't catch AFN's showing of "The Man Show". Watched the mud wrestling segment in the DFAC and it was almost uncomfortable enjoying it with all the females sitting around.

The military weemen at Bagram aren't too bad BTW...

We had 4 KIA from a catastrophic M-1159 IED strike that would have been survivable in an MRAP. They are worth putting up with.

Dropped by the French base to our West, my rusty French proving a bit embarassing (But better than anyone else's French there who wasn't French... Well, except for the entire battalion, as they're Foreign Legion: The SGM was a Brit). VBLs, VABs. They're expecting some 105mm AMXs to show up as well.

Some fantastic scenery en-route. If the Afghans ever get the country sorted out, they could have a heck of a tourism industry. Some good white-water rafting too. Saw some ANA M113s, they're in an interesting colour scheme kindof reminds me of a cross between MERDC and Greek.

NTM

Dropped by the French base to our West, my rusty French proving a bit embarassing (But better than anyone else's French there who wasn't French... Well, except for the entire battalion, as they're Foreign Legion: The SGM was a Brit). VBLs, VABs. They're expecting some 105mm AMXs to show up as well.

Some fantastic scenery en-route. If the Afghans ever get the country sorted out, they could have a heck of a tourism industry. Some good white-water rafting too. Saw some ANA M113s, they're in an interesting colour scheme kindof reminds me of a cross between MERDC and Greek.

NTM

So you are now the "official" French liaison for your unit?

So you are now the "official" French liaison for your unit?

Pretty much. It happened that the person I'm replacing from the previous unit was from Haiti originally, so he spoke fluent French. It was a natural that he would be the French liaison. As one of the few people in the Squadron with any mastery of the French language at all (Hey, SW US, we've got Spanish well covered though), and also happening to be in the same slot as the previous liaison, it was pretty much going to be a given. Will only swing by once a month or so, though, it's a full day trip out and back.

I am definitely getting a different experience out of this trip. Last time out, I emailed home and said "Can you send me a rifle sight?" This time, it's "Can you send me an external USB keyboard?"

NTM

Edited by Manic Moran

• 2 weeks later...
Have been informed that we will be receiving an inspector from the Government at some point soon. He will be assessing the FOB for ADA compliance.

NTM

Dental readiness? What's next, trans fat free DFAC?

Wait til they ban cigaretts and dip from all FOBs in country.

Have been informed that we will be receiving an inspector from the Government at some point soon. He will be assessing the FOB for ADA compliance.

NTM

What? wheelchair-accessible fighting holes? Adequate ramps up to the observation towers? Heaven forbid that patrol paths aren't handicapped-compatible!

Oh, I get it! Air defense against Taliban suicide hang-gliders! Somebody must have read Dies the Fire.

Dental readiness? What's next, trans fat free DFAC?

Wait til they ban cigaretts and dip from all FOBs in country.

As Shep correctly guesses, "Americans with Disabilities Act." Wheelchair ramps, handicap parking, that sort of thing.

NTM

Bless us, Father, for we have sinned. It has been 11 days since our last MRAP rollover.

We've fixed that, now. Rolled another one. There was a chap killed in our AO a week or two ago in a HMMWV rollover.

NTM

IED or just because MRAP was top heavy and the road (or what's left of it) was, uhm, just plain bad?

The photos that I saw suggest that the road embankment simply collapsed under the weight, and then it collapsed once more under the crane that was supposed to recover the MRAP, so the crane had to be recovered as well.

The photos that I saw suggest that the road embankment simply collapsed under the weight, and then it collapsed once more under the crane that was supposed to recover the MRAP, so the crane had to be recovered as well.

Scott posted them on another site?

That was a different incident. We've had one where the driver screwed up and went off an embankment, not too serious, and this most recent one I don't know exactly what happened, just that the vehicle tipped over.

NTM

That was a different incident. We've had one where the driver screwed up and went off an embankment, not too serious, and this most recent one I don't know exactly what happened, just that the vehicle tipped over.

NTM

"MRAP Tipping", new sport for bored troops?

Dunno, all I got was an email with attached images - but it looks like there's a jolly series of similar incidents.

For obvious reasons, our focus of late has been towards the elections. Trying to keep out of it as much as possible, mind, there's very much a sense of "These are Afghan elections, its up to them to make them work or screw up"

We have found ourselves seriously considering the question of "What would happen were we to roll to a firefight whilst towing a 155mm artillery piece?"

I'm sure the gunners would be happy to be able to see their effects on target, but I'm not sure they'll be so keen on setting up with bullets flying past them. Maybe if they used an MRAP for cover while they set up? I don't believe we have yet broached the subject with them.

NTM