The Manic Diaries, Afghan Edition.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a document going around on 'My view on the Afghanistan deployments: Afghan solutions for Afghan problems" by an O-3 with two tours there, currently mobing for a third. (48th IN). He reserves a particular vitriol for First Army and their check-the-box training. (He calls it "Monkey do trick, monkey get banana"). I don't know if it's quite as bad as he makes it out, but there does seem to be great disparity in the quality and attitude of the training. We've had some good training, and some of the worst training ever 'trained.' (We were particularly amused by the recomendation of masturbation to reduce stress, and the requirement for 72 square feet of space for every soldier. We're certainly crammed much tighter than that)

NTM

The 75th TSD is a tired joke.

The best way to reduce stress is:

..take General order #1 and shove it up the ass, (with a ramming tool,) of the person who's "good idea fairy" came up with it.

we actually tossed around the idea of issuing out chits (1 beer a night,) and the mere thought of it going through sent morale through the roof. Of course it went to the top and the top was without brains...wasn't the Army Standard "insert a tanker load of puke here", and thus was no-go; which immediately sent morale through the floor, up-to and including a mass of soldiers who followed through on their pact, and refused to extend their enlistments; over a BN worth.

..id the idiots of all ranks immediately and put them in the same platoon with each other; misery loves company, let them enjoy each other. With any luck Timmie will take notice of the weak link and solve everyone's problem.

..69J bunker tool attachments (.mil and contractor females)

/// edited... can't spell for beans this late at night ///

Edited by Sikkiyn

I'm seriously considering writing my SAMS monograph on pre and post mobilization training, focusing on the generally atrocious job First Army does when training RC troops.

It's either that or creating a new ARFORGEN cycle for RC units.

Join an exhaustively long line of those who have gone before you.

I added my 2c to CALL, and to my knowledge some of it was put to good use.

We actually trained ourselves better than they did, by using people within our own unit who had been there, done that. The lanes were nothing more than check the box bullshit, and offered nothing of any real substance. They were actually honest about the whole process up front and openly stated "they didn't have a clue how to train us for our mission". We pointed out our own in-house training, went through their lanes just for the check, and marched downrange with a big middle finger in the air.

They offered each of us a chance to join them while we were going through our out-processing. It was actually very amusing, their table stayed empty through all three days, no one wanted anything to do with them, and rightfully so. Anyone with any real knowledge would get snow-balled under the Politik bs, and not be able to honestly impart any real knowledge that didn't fit the check-the-box mentality.

Guest JamesG123

There is a saying scrawled in one of our barracks latrine's here at Camp Shelby:

"First Army, where NCOs go when their careers are dead."

I worked with 1A on three straight NG deployments. Every freaking one was considered a separate entity and lessons learned from the last brigade were not brought forward. :angry:

You know, weve been at war for seven years and are still working on what right looks like. Trying to fight a two theatre war with an Army trying to unfuck itself from Peacetime limitations and restrictions.

If we ran mobilizations like this in WWII we would have lost. <_<

Fired what will probably be the only live 5.56mm rounds for the entire Title-10 mobilisation outside of zeoring, on the Convoy Live Fire range.

A very risk-averse range. "Drive here. Start shooting now. Stop shooting now. Dismount here.Shoot from heere. Get in.

NTM

Guest JamesG123

Awesome! Congradulations!

Just said final goodbyes to my wife and 6 mo. old baby girl this morning (Damn that was hard to do...).

I hope you get a good block of time to spend with them before heading out.

Congratulations! :)

EDIT:

Waitaminute.... you posted in May your wifey is due in 8 months, and now C-section, girl? Uhm, color me clueless, but when you said wifey was due in 8 months in your May post, was that recalling an episode several months ago...?

Edited by TomasCTT