The Manic Diaries, Afghan Edition.

Been sortof in two minds about starting this one up.

On the one hand, it would be somewhat of a break in tradition not to have a thread. On the other hand, given my current slot behind a desk, I won't have a heck of a lot interesting to write about, and the chances are that anything that does cross my desk won't be suitable for public distribution. There's also the fact that my boss is a TankNetter, and will probably be reading this!

Still, I've decided that tradition must win out. I won't be updating this thread incredibly often overseas, but I'll write what I can.

I've a little catching up to do. The saga actually started way back in October, when we were first told the trip was pending. I had been in charge of a cav troop for all of one month. As a result, all normal training stopped, and we went into pre-deployment mode, going over the various readiness procedures from medical, admin, and so on. Cue a month in Camp Roberts, CA, for a bunch of, in effect, 'check the box' training. (Deploying soldiers must demonstrate a basic competence in a number of tasks), which was the wettest period of time I've ever seen in Bob. Then April 15th, mobilised to Active Duty, and went to Vegas for a few days. Cool...

Currently at Camp Atterbury, IN. Interesting place. I shall write more later.

http://www.lahontanvalleynews.com/article/.../904149988/1045

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/200904...entProfile=1058

NTM

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Godspeed, Manic and good hunting for your troops!

I was at Atterbury a few years ago, at a Civil Air Patrol SAR school (if you're still there at the end of July, you will see them around). I didn't see much of the camp, just the BOQ while I flew out of Columbus airport.

Have you checked out the vehicles on display there?

So I take it you're doing the three month CONUS MOB and then nine months BOTG in theater Nick?

You take it correct.

The downside to this is that not everyone is going to be able to take a mid-tour leave: We just won't be on the ground long enough to rotate everyone out and still have a meaningful number of troops on the job.

Notification was a bit annoying. Got a call from the SCO: "Nick, it's confirmed. We're going to Afghanistan, we'll be there in about 8 months"

About ten minutes later, call from Household 6. "Honey, I'm pregnant. Due in about 8 months."

Don't know whether to laugh or cry. Still, at least I'll get plenty of sleep.

NTM

You take it correct.

The downside to this is that not everyone is going to be able to take a mid-tour leave: We just won't be on the ground long enough to rotate everyone out and still have a meaningful number of troops on the job.

Notification was a bit annoying. Got a call from the SCO: "Nick, it's confirmed. We're going to Afghanistan, we'll be there in about 8 months"

About ten minutes later, call from Household 6. "Honey, I'm pregnant. Due in about 8 months."

NTM

Ouch!

Congrats on the baby though!

You take it correct.

NTM

:blink: , seems like some deity was in a trickster mood.

Congratulations though, and let's hope there will be a healthy baby a week before your departure.

Damn, I feel OLD!!!

It seems like yesterday I was transcribing your letters from Basic.

Take care, be safe and welcome to the world of fatherhood!!!!!

Had a crack at the HMMWV rollover trainer the other day.

Kindof a fun ride, except for that minute or so that you're upside down with half the weight on your neck as you're trying to resist the weight of the body armour breaking it. The inability to bend is also a bit annoying when trying to reorient yourself in the small space after undoing the seat belt and falling to the ceiling. I did better than our S-2, who had is airway blocked and had to be rescued. Both times.

You really do have to take a bit of a pause after you're righted yourself though. I spent a couple of seconds wondering why the door was so far away from me, and how the hell the TC got between me and it.

NTM

Guest JamesG123

Yeah, the HEAT is fun, like a free ride at Disney land....

Could be worse, you could be at Camp Shelby, Miss. Been here since mid April, and are in "oh God, just let us get this started already" mode.

I'm also on staff this time 'round, and by the sound of if, we might be in the same neck of the er... woods.

NTM

Congratulations to you and Mrs. Moran...you'll need to be a bit more cautious this time, you've got a family to come home to now.

Oh, don't worry....your new bundle of joy will still be waking everyone up at odd hours when you get back....it lasts a good while.

There's a document going around on 'My view on the Afghanistan deployments: Afghan solutions for Afghan problems" by an O-3 with two tours there, currently mobing for a third. (48th IN). He reserves a particular vitriol for First Army and their check-the-box training. (He calls it "Monkey do trick, monkey get banana"). I don't know if it's quite as bad as he makes it out, but there does seem to be great disparity in the quality and attitude of the training. We've had some good training, and some of the worst training ever 'trained.' (We were particularly amused by the recomendation of masturbation to reduce stress, and the requirement for 72 square feet of space for every soldier. We're certainly crammed much tighter than that)

NTM