tanknet.org

Technology of Tanks

After a long time seeing a similar book like the rare Technology of Tanks by Richard Ogorkiewicz

This is by Rolf Hilmes another noted Panzer author - brief description - entirely in German though

Kampfpanzer heute und morgen (Hardcover)

by Rolf Hilmes

Book Description :

This title deals with the perspectives, trends and the potential risks of future developments in the field of tank technology. It is a book that is sophisticated and in an -depth manner deals with the design of modern battle tanks and the current and future assemblies technologies - 13pp 1:72 scale plans. Diagrams. 140 colour & 65 b/w photos .

Source | Midland Counties - IAN ALLAN

# Hardcover: 448 pages

# Publisher: Motorbuch Verlag (2007)

Attached image of the book cover in avatar as i dont seem to have upload permissions

Has anyone read this ?

Edited by krishna_jj
  • 2 weeks later...

I have it. But I can't read German.

However the photo and figures provided in the book all have captions provided in both German & English. That helps.

Hopefully the book will be translated into English and republished like some of Hilmes past works.

• 1 month later...

Yep, if you know German, that helps a lot...

Book is good and I hope there would be English version. Although it is not the kind of R. Ogorkiewicz`s "Technology..." and even R. Hilmes` "Kampfpanzer..." 1st edition. It looks rather like addendum to the later of mentioned books. Almost nothing about modern fire control systems, not much "theory". More about modern tanks at all, reactive armour, future ideas etc. It is not deep tank step-by-step study as "Technology..." and "Kampfpanzer..." were.

• 2 months later...
Yep, if you know German, that helps a lot...

Book is good and I hope there would be English version. Although it is not the kind of R. Ogorkiewicz`s "Technology..." and even R. Hilmes` "Kampfpanzer..." 1st edition. It looks rather like addendum to the later of mentioned books. Almost nothing about modern fire control systems, not much "theory". More about modern tanks at all, reactive armour, future ideas etc. It is not deep tank step-by-step study as "Technology..." and "Kampfpanzer..." were.

Is there an e-book version of Kampfpanzer..." 1st edition - available ?

• 3 weeks later...

As per a recent request - am enclosing a review of the book

Disclaimer - since the book is entirely in German with only english captions and my german is rudimentary - navigating through the book is cumbersome.

This is a superb work on recent tank technology with many color photos and diagrams. It is expected that this is a supplement to Ogarkiewicz's standard book on Tank Technology which somebody was kind enough to give me an e-copy as its not available any more .

Rolf Hilmes is an acknowledged authority on MBT concepts along with Ogorkiewicz Foss and Zaloga.

Rolf starts with details about armor developments of MBT95, T-95, "Black Eagle", Leclerc tanks and MBT2000 the United States, Russia, France, Germany and Sweden, as well as current vehicles of such as the M1A2, Challenger 2, T-90, T-80U M1, T-80U M2, T-84 and T-84U, Leopard 2 A5/A6/A6M, Strv.122, Merkava IV and XK-2 (South Korea ).

Around 60 pages are devoted to the developments in Russia on the tank design of the T-64, 72, 80 and 90 .

The large part of the book is on the technology components of future battle tanks. In terms of weaponry and new technologies, the efficiency of existing guns, low recoil arms, 140mm tank gun, ammunition, new developments, such PELE ammunition, temperature controlled detonators, non-lethal ammunition, SCDB propellant, guided missiles, and on possible alternative weapons, such as the electro-thermal-chemical gun, the electrothermal gun, the electromagnetic cannon, etc.

The evolution of engine technology , with the diesel engine development in Germany, USA, UK, Russia, Ukranie, HPD and the engine and the development of gas turbines, diesel-electric and hybrid drives.

There is also information on developments in drive technology, damping systems, tracked, protection concepts, and measures to prevent hit avoidance, embedded active protection systems ( SHTORA-1), embedded active hard-kill systems (DROZD and ARENA), reactive, power armor, armor, and their passive materials, mine protection, and measures to reduce secondary damage.

In conclusion Rolf addresses the future vehicles and concepts and trends.

The Annexure of 20 pages containing technical data of the main types of tanks, and 1:72 drawings .

Its a comprehensive and technically brilliant work - MUST BUY - with english and German captions for photos and otherwise in German text only .

One draw back i see is that the book is more on current trends and less on existing tank technology - maybe the reader is expected to have the basic knowledge - hence basic tank layout , cross-sections are missing. Also a chapter on fire control would have made it interesting

I Wish the publishers consider an English version as translation has been very cumbersome.

Edited by krishna_jj
  • 2 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.