Air combat simulator games

jaro

Hi Guys,

Which air combat simulator is the best? I would like to play something with good playability, not too complicated controls and with a story implemented, something like old Aces over Pacific or similar. Any ideas?

I have only one just now, the Il-2 Shturmovik with all expansions (up to 1946) - it's fun, flies well and seems pretty realistic, though many things could be better (for example gunsights - now every aircraft (flyable) has some sort of reflex gunsight, even I-16). Flight model seems to be fairly good and the selection of crafts is great. Story - you can have various campaigns (incl. Slovakia under Caucasus) but these are fairly scripted. Or you can get an external dynamic camapign generator for it.

What I miss about the most there are ETO planes - esp. British "less known" like the Whirlwind or Gloster Meteor.

The Strike Fighters series is great. Looks pretty, easy to learn, not too complicated, and there are tons of mods and addons for it. Not WWII (though you can download WWII aircraft for it), but more geared towards the 50s-60s-70s jets.

There are four games Strike Fighters 2 (just came out, replaced the original), Wings Over Vietnam, Wings Over Europe and Wings Over Israel.

Falcon 4 allied force is hands down the best flight sim out there. The dynamic campaigns are awesome.

However, it's also one of the most high fidelity combat sim I've ever played, takes a fair while to learn, so probably not your thing. The graphics are also a bit dated now.

Falcon 4 allied force is hands down the best flight sim out there. The dynamic campaigns are awesome.

However, it's also one of the most high fidelity combat sim I've ever played, takes a fair while to learn, so probably not your thing. The graphics are also a bit dated now.

I think the "Not too complicated" part kills F4/Falcon: operation Allied Force. You're not far off simply joining the Air National Guard with the latest versions.

That said it is scalable and the re-release "Falcon Allied Force is both pretty, stable and improved.

I think the "Not too complicated" part kills F4/Falcon: operation Allied Force. You're not far off simply joining the Air National Guard with the latest versions.

That said it is scalable and the re-release "Falcon Allied Force is both pretty, stable and improved.

The realism is what attracted me to the original Falcon series. Since the release of AF, I have studied numerous text on airborne radar, energy management, etc; many of which applied to the simulation itself, and were of much use against both AI and MP.

Orbiter is another good simulation, of space though. Nothing easy about it, you will earn everything you learn, but the reward is definitely there.

What I miss about the most there are ETO planes - esp. British "less known" like the Whirlwind or Gloster Meteor.

I fly IL2 quite a bit.

This site has MOD's to include A/C that were not flyable in the IL2 Series. (B-17 with all gunner positions, TBM etc.)

You have to register, but it's free.

http://allaircraftarcade.com/forum/index.php

For the FS9 and FSX fans this just came out

http://www.vrsimulations.com/index.htm

Edited by sabotshooter 88

• 2 weeks later...
Any good helicopter sims out there at the moment? Black Shark looks interesting but I am not a huge fan of Russian choppers. I would love to see a game with a flyable Super Cobra, Apache, and Blackhawk.

Enemy Engaged:Commanche hokum has all sorts of mods out there including flyable helos (I believe there is now a flyable fully modelled Hind!)

There is also EECH 2 which is a commercial update of the original with DX9 or 10 graphics effects and some other stuff, try sim HQ for more info probably is best.

Any good helicopter sims out there at the moment? Black Shark looks interesting but I am not a huge fan of Russian choppers. I would love to see a game with a flyable Super Cobra, Apache, and Blackhawk.

The Longbow Anthology. Only 11 years old, and still good. :)