tanknet.org

I grabbed both ISOs but haven't installed it yet. I am collecting the parts for a new system and will try it out once the system is built. I have everything I need except the motherboard and cpu, just waiting for the right combo deal at fry's.

One question, I saw somewhere that the beta is only good until August. Does that mean the os will deactivate or go into a reduced mode after August?

One question, I saw somewhere that the beta is only good until August. Does that mean the os will deactivate or go into a reduced mode after August?
Question #2. For those that do download and install the beta, and presumably give feedback to MS, will they be able to upgrade to the final release gratis?

Edit: Question answered under FAQ. sorry/no

Answer to your question. They recommend you reinstall your previous OS prior to 1/8/09.

Edited by DKTanker

Installed it on a laptop as main OS. Nice quick (upgrade) install. All progs and devices worked OK after install, except dodgy touchpad. Of course the real test would be to install it on my older laptop which only has 1G memory and which I took Vista off in favour of XP because Vista was too slow. I wonder if 7 would work better?

Installed it on a laptop as main OS. Nice quick (upgrade) install. All progs and devices worked OK after install, except dodgy touchpad. Of course the real test would be to install it on my older laptop which only has 1G memory and which I took Vista off in favour of XP because Vista was too slow. I wonder if 7 would work better?

Which touchpad; Synaptics by chance?

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 7 Requirements Leaked.

For the Basic Windows 7

* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

* 512 MB of system memory

* 20 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space

* Support for DirectX 9 graphics and 32 MB of graphics memory

* DVD-ROM drive

* Audio Output

* Internet access

For the Premium Windows 7

* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

* 1 GB of system memory

* 40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space

* Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:

o WDDM Driver

o 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)

o Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware

o 32 bits per pixel

* DVD-ROM drive

* Audio Output

* Internet access

EDIT: Wanted to add that MS has supposedly taken Win 7 beta down due to overwhelming response.

Edited by m1a1mg
  • 4 months later...
Why?

Inquiring minds wish to know... ;)

A few months later... I'm running the latest leaked RC. It's rock solid. 64bit, plays all games that even my 64bit XP didn't play. Then again I don't have a whole lotta software installed - steam games, a/v players, open office, photochop and 3ds max.

I don't actually need any other software anyway.