tanknet.org

Favorite Breakfast

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to be stereotypical here: pita with humus & touch of mustard, beef pastrami, cheese (oops... ) & veggies - tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, etc., Sometimes an egg and/or yogurt. Instant coffee at home and an espresso when I get to work.

Alternatively if its chilly, a hot porridge with honey & dried fruit... and whatever piece of meat I find in the fridge on the side : )

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking about making some home made biscuits and gravy tomorrow morning for the family breakfast, if I can get up early enough to bring it all about. I haven't made that in years.

I'm thinking about making some home made biscuits and gravy tomorrow morning for the family breakfast, if I can get up early enough to bring it all about. I haven't made that in years.

Homer Simpson: Mmmm! Biscuits and gravy! ;)

Been on a diet as of last January... and strangely enough, it both works and is tasty. The rule is no carbohydrates for breakfast and very little for rest of the day, so basically it's always egg on a pan (fried, omelett, scrambled) in some from, with fried sausage and/or bacon. Sauerkraut with that if there's an open can on the fridge, and coffee of course, two to three big mugs. Tasty, coffee to wake you up, and keeps the hunger away til lunchtime.

Before the diet it used to be salty rye porridge with butter and milk, and sandwiches with salami and/or cheese... sweet things for breakfast is something I was never very fond of.

Edited by Jussi Saari

If I'm in a big hurry in the morning, I make up a sandwich of cherry preserves and extra-crunchy peanut butter heavily smeared on oatmeal bread. I usually wash that down with a large mug of jet black coffee. It always fires me up and gives one the heart of a tiger!

If I'm in a big hurry in the morning, I make up a sandwich of cherry preserves and extra-crunchy peanut butter heavily smeared on oatmeal bread. I usually wash that down with a large mug of jet black coffee. It always fires me up and gives one the heart of a tiger!

And for the Eye of the Tiger nothing beats half a dozen raw eggs in a tall glass. Seriously, cherry preserves? You from Travese City?

And for the Eye of the Tiger nothing beats half a dozen raw eggs in a tall glass. Seriously, cherry preserves? You from Travese City?

No, but I've lived in the area on and off ever since I was a kid. I live closer to Flint now.

• 2 weeks later...

Steel cut oatmeal with raisins and apples soaked the night before. Covered in cinnamon and sugar with a half cup of milk on top.

2 pieces of whole wheat toast lightly buttered.

Pot of strong black coffee.

Same thing every day except once every few months its.

Biscuits and Truck Stop Gravy!

:P

I rarely eat breakfast but my fave is always (for decades)

pork sausages with easy-over eggs, panfried potatoes with onions,

salt and pepper and rye toast if there's room.

I get cranky with total disappointment if the eggs are over or underdone!!!

I rarely eat breakfast but my fave is always (for decades)

pork sausages with easy-over eggs, panfried potatoes with onions,

salt and pepper and rye toast if there's room.

I get cranky with total disappointment if the eggs are over or underdone!!!

It's funny. I just cooked that the other day! The only thing is, I cooked it for supper! :lol:

Creamed chip beef on toast, otherwise known as "$hit on a shingle."

I like it! The Stouffer's brand stuff in a micro wave pouch is almost as good as home made, and a lot less hassle. It is great on toast, but also pretty good on mashed, or baked, potatoes. Ad a dash of Texas Pete hot sauce, and you have a real treat.

FWIW, I think we had a thread about this several years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
It's funny. I just cooked that the other day! The only thing is, I cooked it for supper! :lol:

:D Me too often ... when I crave "that breakfast" I'll have it any time of day or night!

I often cook up enough potatoes for leftovers so I can have them ready for panfrying

... rather than panfrying raw potatoes, though do that too. Leftovers means

less work and time for nuking or panfrying and it's nice to have them heatable in a few

minutes when I want/need NOW. :D

BTW ... I usually panfry with white or green onions ... and often I just have salt and pepper

for spices, but sometimes I add oil and some butter, and quite a bit of paprika (hungarian is fave) ... sometimes parsely. The paprika adds a bit of sauciness and a great taste. YUMMERS!

Edited by VenerableDamePW
Serbian breakfast

Espresso

Cigarette

Rakija, preferably sljivovitza (substitute whiskey if rakija unavailable)

Repeat during the day

Major Wassisname, circa 1984/5: "A real tanker's breakfast is a good cigar, a good cup of coffee and a good puke".

Can't argue with that logic...

:D Me too often ... when I crave "that breakfast" I'll have it any time of day or night!

I often cook up enough potatoes for leftovers so I can have them ready for panfrying

... rather than panfrying raw potatoes, though do that too. Leftovers means

less work and time for nuking or panfrying and it's nice to have them heatable in a few

minutes when I want/need NOW. :D

BTW ... I usually panfry with white or green onions ... and often I just have salt and pepper

for spices, but sometimes I add oil and some butter, and quite a bit of paprika (hungarian is fave) ... sometimes parsely. The paprika adds a bit of sauciness and a great taste. YUMMERS!

You absolutely have to fry your hash browns in butter. The only other acceptable substitute is bacon grease.~ :lol: I also flavor mine with chopped onions, fresh cracked pepper, salt and paprika. Normally, on the weekend when I make baked potatoes, I usually make three or four too many, just so I can cook some fried potatoes one day during the coming week.

Although I am going to have to scratch my creamed beef over eggs and potatoes itch soon.

Damn, I miss that. Real creamed beef doesn't seem to have the same wonderful nastiness as the Army stuff.

Edit: You have a good recipe?

Edited by m1a1mg