TankNet group build?

Corinthian

To all TankNet model builders: how about a group build ala Armorama's campaign system? But let's make this one quirky, fun, and not very serious. I propose building something silly, wacky, odd using any kit you got in your stash. The aim is to have fun and have even more fun getting laughs at the ideas we conjured. Say, a Mad Max group build or something like that? :lol: I've been pitching a "funny" group build in another forum before, no takers (everyone apparently is too serious). Call it perhaps the Proposed Marine Firesupport Vehicle group build. Those joining will build a firesupport vehicle for the Marines which they are proposing. The sillier the better. :D (I already foresee 16-inch armed M113s with rotor blades and quad .50s) Give the group build three months, start with any kit - still in box or uncomplete - and start from there. Post in-progress pictures and three pix of the final product. No skill level or experience is required. Anyone interested?

Edited by TomasCTT

Guest JamesG123

Whats wrong with the kit?

How about Israeli Super Shermans? Its rather rediculous looking, and I need all the motivation I can get to actually finish mine...

Edited by JamesG123

Doug: A friend of mine and I are going to convert Tamiya Chieftains into Israeli ones next year. :D Imagine: Chieftains with the M60 engine, ERA, etc....

So, enough interest to kick off this GB next month?

Whats wrong with the kit?

Other than that it's horrible? Clunky, not very sharp detailing, flash everywhere, ejector pin marks, holes and gaps all over the place. For example, the two hull halves are held together with a screw, which punches through the lower front hull. I gave the kit the benefit of the doubt on the utterly different headlight guard design, but the driver's periscope I just had to cut off and build a replacement. And I'm not even about to consider it a contest model, just a straight-from-the-box relaxing build. Some relaxing build.

How about Israeli Super Shermans? Its rather rediculous looking, and I need all the motivation I can get to actually finish mine...

I just picked up Dragon's M51 premium kit. 700 parts. Of which 160 of them are track centre guides. Working spring suspension. I'm afraid. Very afraid.

NTM

Can I put an 8" RR on mine?

Indeed! :lol: Silliness is encouraged. We must provide scale models of our proposed vehicles that will provide firesupport for the Marines. :D

Wouldn't it look rather like this?

What the hell is that?!? It's so purtee....

I just picked up Dragon's M51 premium kit. 700 parts. Of which 160 of them are track centre guides. Working spring suspension. I'm afraid. Very afraid.

Sounds like a fun kit to do!

Indeed! :lol: Silliness is encouraged. We must provide scale models of our proposed vehicles that will provide firesupport for the Marines. :D

I feel it is what Gavin would have wanted.

What the hell is that?!? It's so purtee....

It's a Centurion hull with an autoloaded 6(?) inch gun on it to take on the Soviet heavies. Or something similar. Named Conway I believe.

Guest JamesG123

Heh... That track is what made me run out of steam on it last time...

7.2in actually - 183mm, with autoloader in a limited traverse, experimental mount (FV4005 Stage 1).

Ah well there you go, but it still isn't what the marines are screaming out for and it's not recoilless.

Ive got some photos of the 183mm gun turret somewhere. It was being used in Bovington as a climbing frame for the kids. :)

Its now fitted back on a cent hull, though purists wont be happy that its a leyland rather than vickers one. :(

Apart from place of manufacture, there there serious differences between the two?

Thanks for the warning about the -98, I'll avoid it like marriage.

Shot

You know, I will give it credit. Once you spend the unGodly amount of time filling and sanding (I've never used so much putty on a model before), and despite the fact that I'm hesitant to put a ruler next to it because I'm not convinced it's not a bizarre scale, it actually builds into a pretty cool-looking model. I'm now fighting my water trap, I hope to have it camo'd in the next week or so.

NTM

You know, I will give it credit. Once you spend the unGodly amount of time filling and sanding (I've never used so much putty on a model before), and despite the fact that I'm hesitant to put a ruler next to it because I'm not convinced it's not a bizarre scale, it actually builds into a pretty cool-looking model. I'm now fighting my water trap, I hope to have it camo'd in the next week or so.

NTM

Pix please, when it's done. :)