tanknet.org

Hi ... I also bought some apples, thinking of making an apple pie, or some other

apples desert. Any favorite apple recipes from you folks?

Would also love to hear about a good pastry recipe for apple pie to die for.

Love fat tastey apple pie with those golden flakey crusts, but how to make 'em??? :D

Thanks ......

Guess not too many into apple pie and deserts in here :D

I'm afraid my idea of cooking apple pie is to put a frozen Chudleigh's product in the oven.

In fact, I may just go to the store and do that today!

I'm afraid my idea of cooking apple pie is to put a frozen Chudleigh's product in the oven.

In fact, I may just go to the store and do that today!

Ah heck, pick some up for me too, okay? My hands being contrary lately and if I try peeling apples I'll probably do the same as I did a couple of days ago peeling and grating raw beet

for salad ... a piece of my finger got mixed in with the beets ... I must have eaten it? Waste not, want not don't ya know??? :D

You can always parboil the apples for a minute first and just peel the skin off with your fingers. It doesn't seem to hurt the apples at all.

Honestly, I find the Joy of cooking apple pie recipe to be a great starter recipe. I add way more cinamon and vanilla extract than they recommend and usually a few splashes of lemon juice. Fresh grated lemon rind makes a nice addition as well, as does throwing a few misc berries (raspberries work very well) in as well. I find that putting the apples in the pie shell first and sprinkling on the sugar/spice mixture gives me a thicker syrup and firmer apple slices than if I mix it together and then add to the pan. I've tried carmelizing the apples first but honestly I couldn't detect a change in texture.

My wife has an apple brown betty with a brown sugar/oatmeal topping that is to die for but she does it from memory (old family recipe).

Matt

You can always parboil the apples for a minute first and just peel the skin off with your fingers. It doesn't seem to hurt the apples at all.

I'll definately try that trick ... sounds good :)

Honestly, I find the Joy of cooking apple pie recipe to be a great starter recipe. I add way more cinamon and vanilla extract than they recommend and usually a few splashes of lemon juice. Fresh grated lemon rind makes a nice addition as well, as does throwing a few misc berries (raspberries work very well) in as well. I find that putting the apples in the pie shell first and sprinkling on the sugar/spice mixture gives me a thicker syrup and firmer apple slices than if I mix it together and then add to the pan. I've tried carmelizing the apples first but honestly I couldn't detect a change in texture.

My wife has an apple brown betty with a brown sugar/oatmeal topping that is to die for but she does it from memory (old family recipe).

Matt

I've made apple pies before and they tend to be "juicy" (too liquidy) then I recently saw

a cooking program where the guy added a little flour to lightly coat the apples, which

had the effect of thickening to more saucy texture so juices wouldn't run out. I'll try that

neat trick next time too! I also load the shell with the apples before adding the sugars and cinnamons as well.

I love LOTS of cinnamon too, and like that when making the pie (or anything else using sugar)

I can choose how much cinnamon AND sugar. I don't like things too too sweet and find most recipes call for WAY too much sugar for my tastes. MOST ready made deserts usually too sweet for my tastes too. I also like the apples SLIGHTLY firm after baking ... don't like apple-sauce as pie filler :D

Your wifes brown betty sounds yummy!!!

Something awesome about cinnamom and brownsugar together ... I often mix some

and fill a shaker or container to use for ready sprinkling on toast ...