weird news

Ivanhoe

Workers at a recycling plant in Seattle were horrified to discover the dismembered torso of a man rolling by on a conveyor belt, launching the city's fifth homicide investigation of the year.

The butchered body was mixed in with materials from a construction site, police said.

That goes in the compost pile I assume? :unsure:

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Things really are bigger in Texas;

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/07/11/whoa-baby-texas-mom-delivers-16-pound-newborn/

LONGVIEW (AP) – A Texas mom expected a big baby, but nothing like this: 16 pounds, 1 ounces.

Janet Johnson on Monday remained in an East Texas hospital after giving birth to what her doctors called one of the biggest newborns they’ve ever seen. She was awaiting word on whether her son, JaMichael Brown, ranked among the biggest births in state history.

“Everybody was amazed that he was so big,” Johnson, 39, said. “I don’t think too many people have heard of having a 16-pound baby.”

JaMichael was born Friday at Good Shepherd Medical Center in Longview. Johnson has gestational diabetes, which results in bigger newborns for many mothers. Doctors had estimated JaMichael would be around 12 pounds prior to the cesarean birth.

Here's the reason why;

Ashworth said JaMichael, whose father is 6-foot-7, was likely to be transferred Monday from the neonatal intensive care unit and into the regular nursery. Johnson said she hoped to get her son home later this week — and return his newborn clothes that won’t fit.

The obstetrician might have needed to borrow some hand tools from a local farm vet...

In 1840, English botanist George Gardner was traveling in Brazil. One night, he noticed some boys playing with a strange, glowing object. To his shock, he had encountered a bioluminescent mushroom. It's only taken 170 years to find some more.

http://io9.com/5819729/glow+in+the+dark-mushrooms-rediscovered-after-170-years

&

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/2076448/mushroom_lights_up_the_night_in_brazil/

A five-inch Brazilian Wandering Spider—the most venomous spider in the world, which "can also cause priapism in humans"—stowed away in a box of bananas and leaped out in a German grocery store, running through the aisles and causing pandemonium on Friday.

http://gawker.com/5819988/giant-boner+inducing-spider-rampages-in-supermarket

Edited by X-Files

Ashworth said JaMichael, ....

JaMichael? Is that a name? :blink:

There was the old joke that the Chinese to name their children threw a nighpot down the house stairs and recorded the first three sounds, but that one has no rhyme nor reason!

It’s tough finding even an odd job these days. That’s why Utah-area resident Mork Encino, who swears this is his real name, created the oddest job for himself. Encino, 28, on his website, advertises he’ll be human prey for marksmen with $10,000 to spare. It’ll cost you an extra $2k to hunt him in the nude.

http://blogs.ajc.com/news-to-me/2011/07/11/jobless-man-offers-hunters-human-prey/?cxntlid=cmg_cntnt_rss

NEW YORK (AFP) - It is dubbed "Manhattanhenge" and happens two times a year when the Sun aligns at dusk with streets in a glowing magic trick as rays of sunlight span across New York perfectly, from west to east.

DeGrasse Tyson first started thinking about the "Manhattanhenge" effect back in 1996. It was not until five years later, July 2001, that he took a photo of the Sun-meets-skyscrapers display.

It and others were published in 2002 in a special edition of Natural History Magazine called "City of Stars," he said. And the effect began to become better known.

This year, the effect took place May 30 -- before the June 21 solstice -- and now it will be seen again on Wednesday July 13, though it can be seen partially one day earlier.

In wintertime, the phenomenon is seen around December 5 and January 8. But weather conditions tend not to be ideal, and make it hard for anyone to spot.

To get a good take on the event, DeGrasse Tyson recommends that you "position yourself as far east in Manhattan as possible."

Some of the streets where the show shines best are 14th, 23rd, 34th and 42nd, offering incredible views of the Empire State building and the Chrysler building.

http://nz.entertainment.yahoo.com/news/article/-/9824499/sun-to-strike-ny-streets-in-magical-manhattanhenge/ Edited by X-Files

In times of domestic discord, it's probably advisable to prepare your own meals or eat out....

Woman accused of cutting off husband's penis, putting it down garbage disposal

Police say she drugged him and tied him to a bed; couple was in middle of divorce

"woman was in custody Tuesday for allegedly poisoning her estranged husband, cutting off his penis with a 10-inch kitchen knife and throwing it in the garbage disposal.

Lt. Jeff Nightengale said the crime occurred Monday night at the man's Garden Grove home. According to authorities, this was the first time police have ever been called to the home. No neighbors reported any signs of fighting or screaming.

Catherine Kieu Becker, 48, was booked for aggravated mayhem, false imprisonment, assault with a deadly weapon, administering a drug with intent to commit a felony, poisoning, and spousal abuse. She was being held at the Orange County Jail.

The woman, who was later identified as the suspect, called 911 to report a medical emergency at about 10 p.m.

"The suspect called 911 and told responding officers that he 'deserved it,'" Nightengale said.

When officers arrived, they found the man tied to a bed and bleeding from the groin area. He told officers the woman had given him a drug in the dinner she had made for him.

Investigators said she tied him to the bed after he fell asleep. When he awoke, the woman grabbed his penis and cut it off with a 10-inch kitchen knife, according to police. She then threw it in the garbage disposal and turned on the disposal, police said.

The 51-year-old man was hospitalized at UC Irvine Medical Center in Orange. He was listed in serious condition. Pieces of the penis were taken to the hospital, but it remained unclear whether surgeons were able to reattach it.

The rope used to tie the man to the bed and a knife were seized as evidence.

Nightengale said an initial investigation indicated the two are married and going through a divorce. According to courts records, the victim filed for divorce on May 16, and is representing himself."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43732006/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

JaMichael? Is that a name? :blink:

I have a collection of articles where the felonious miscreants have names suitable for Mos Eisley Cantina patrons. Would you like me to start a new thread on that?

JULY 12--In the year’s most horrifying police press release, cops in Garden Grove, California describe how a woman last night allegedly cut off her husband’s penis.

According to investigators, Catherine Kieu Becker, 48, “used an unknown type poison and/or drug in the male’s food to make him sleepy. She tied him to the bed and as he woke the female cut off his penis with a knife.” Becker, pictured in the mug shot at right, then allegedly “tossed the penis…in the garbage disposal and turned the disposal to the ‘on’ position.”

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/revolting/severed-penis-put-in-garbage-disposal-836290

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wife-cuts-off-husbands-penis-throws-garbage-disposal/story?id=14055080

Edited by X-Files

I have a collection of articles where the felonious miscreants have names suitable for Mos Eisley Cantina patrons. Would you like me to start a new thread on that?

JULY 12--In the year’s most horrifying police press release, cops in Garden Grove, California describe how a woman last night allegedly cut off her husband’s penis.

It had to happen sooner or later, you've been overtaken in your own thread. Look three posts up. :)

Edited by Doug Kibbey

It had to happen sooner or later, you've been overtaken in your own thread. Look three posts up. :)

You're not allowed to look at my posts any more. :angry2:

A man has been blinded in one eye after an injured gannet he was carrying across a beach on Gower, south Wales pecked his eyeball out of its socket.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-14118494

Edited by X-Files

...or you could just look in my grade book. *ducks*

You always knew this was true....:D

Male Brains Aren't Designed To Listen to Female Voices

Andrea Uku

If you've ever spent time telling a guy a story or asking him a question, only to get a blank stare in response, then you know that there's definitely truth to this claim that guys weren't designed to hear us speak. I had a similar experience at brunch this weekend when I was going on and on to a male friend about something I can't even remember anymore. When I got to the end of my rant and finally asked him if he agreed with me on the topic at hand, his answer was, "sorry, I really wasn't listening to a word you said." Even though I was incredibly frustrated with him, he did bring up a good point, asking, "would you rather I lie and say I heard you?" This little exchange, as insignificant as it was, did make me wonder exactly what it is that makes it so easy for men to tune us out.

As it turns out, a study published in the journal NeuroImage sought to answer the very same question. Researchers found that there are major differences in the way male and female brains process voice sounds. Different brain regions are activated in men, depending on whether they're hearing a male or female voice.

Apparently, the vibration and number of sound waves in our voice makes it harder for men to decipher what we're saying. When it comes to processing a woman's voice, they use the more complex auditory part of the brain that processes music, not human voices. But the guys in the study could easily hear and understand other men's voices as speech because that uses a simpler brain mechanism at the back of the brain.

So, next time you want to get angry and yell at a guy for "not listening," cut him a little slack – his brain just wasn't made to hear you. My suggestion would be to speak slowly and get to your point fast.

http://www.stylecaster.com/lifestyle/13348/male-brains-arent-designed-listen-female-voices

An Austrian atheist has won the right to be shown on his driving-licence photo wearing a pasta strainer as "religious headgear".

Niko Alm first applied for the licence three years ago after reading that headgear was allowed in official pictures only for confessional reasons.

Mr Alm said the sieve was a requirement of his religion, pastafarianism. <_<

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14135523

"Bears" and sex toys prove a deadly combination...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43744222/ns/us_news-weird_news/

Owner of killer bear chokes to death on sex toy

"CLEVELAND — An exotic-animal owner who made headlines last summer when one of his bears mauled a woman to death has died after apparently choking on a sex toy, authorities said.

Sam Mazzola, 49, was found dead in his Columbia Station home on Sunday, face down on a water bed. He was bound to the bed with handcuffs, chains and padlocks, Lorain County Chief Deputy Coroner Dr. Frank Miller told the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Mazzola had a sex toy in his throat, which apparently obstructed his breathing, Miller said. He was also wearing a leather mask with the eyes and mouth zipped shut and a two-piece metal sphere covering his head, the coroner told The Morning Journal.

"He had done this by request according to the story we were given,” Miller told The Morning Journal. “There was an assistant, but that is under investigation.”

"Assistant"? :unsure:

Edited by Doug Kibbey

I've been told by Cat People that that particular trick is bad for cats, causing severe stress to the nerve that is being pinched

Dammit, and I was going to bring a binder clip home from work and try it on my cats! <_<

You always knew this was true....:D

Male Brains Aren't Designed To Listen to Female Voices

I don't know if it's the voice or the content. My wife, god bless her, likes to run down a complete list of everything she's purchased at the supermarket and its price. I go into a feedback loop of whether I should pretend I'm listening or just come right out and tell her I have absolutely zero interest in the topic and can I please go back to watching the news?

"And I got a gallon of milk for $3.54 a gallon and frozen peas for a dollar a bag and ice cream was on sale buy one get one free and............ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ..."

Sam Mazzola, 49, was found dead in his Columbia Station home on Sunday, face down on a water bed. He was bound to the bed with handcuffs, chains and padlocks, Lorain County Chief Deputy Coroner Dr. Frank Miller told the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Mazzola had a sex toy in his throat, which apparently obstructed his breathing, Miller said. He was also wearing a leather mask with the eyes and mouth zipped shut and a two-piece metal sphere covering his head

Suicide