Ivanhoe

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

https://www.space.com/mercury-shrank-less-than-believed

Previous research suggested that Mercury may have "super-contracted" by as much as 8.7 miles (14 km) in diameter. In new research, Thomas Watters, a planetary scientist at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C., estimates the planet contracted by no more than 1.2 to 2.5 miles (2 to 4 km).

https://www.sciencealert.com/17-000-earthquakes-rattled-south-west-iceland-this-week-it-may-be-about-to-erupt

More than 17,000 earthquakes have been recorded in the south-west of Iceland, in the Reykjanes Peninsula, during the past week.

People living in the area have been advised to be extra careful due to dangers of landslides and rockfall. Many of the larger earthquakes have even been felt in Iceland's capital city, Reykjavik (where over half of the population lives), which lies only 27km away.

An eruption in this area will be nothing like the highly disruptive explosive eruption of Eyjafjallajökull in 2010, or the much larger explosive but much less disruptive explosive eruption of Grímsvötn in 2011. Eruptions in south-west Iceland are of a fluid rock type called basalt. This results in slow-moving streams of lava fed from gently exploding craters and cones.

Because Germany? Because Spain? Because train evangelists?

German evangelists go on trial over Spain metro stampede

The group of prostelityzing men claim they were "spontaneously" spreading the Gospel. But if found guilty of public disorder, they could go to prison for four years.

Seven German men accused of provoking a stampede in Valencia, Spain in 2018 went on trial Monday.

They face charges of public disorder and causing injuries to several people. Prosecutors are seeking a four-year sentence against each of them.

What happened in the suspected incident?

Court documents said the men, who were between the ages of 19 and 42, entered a Valencia metro car on August 4, 2018 with a large red cross, and suitcases before proselytizing.

"We have a message for you. This subway is full of sin, of drugs, of fornication…" said the main preacher on that night, according to the Sevilla local edition of the ABC national newspaper. He was adorned with a vest with Arabic inscriptions that he said read "Peace with God" as he wanted to bring Christianity to Arabs.

A translator with the group allegedly said, "do not be afraid, you only have to be afraid of sin," though a megaphone in Spanish.

Several witnesses testified in court that they provoked a panic, as some passengers thought they were going to launch an attack, according to the Las Provincias newspaper.

A 2018 report from Spanish newspaper El Pais said a boy parodied them by shouting, "we're all going to die."

The ensuing commotion caused injuries to one woman's feet that took more than eight months to heal. The ABC newspaper said the woman thought the German men "said that there was a bomb, and that we were all going to die, and began to bang on the doors and there was a stampede, everyone wanted to get out."

The incident occurred near the anniversary of a 2017 terrorist attack in Barcelona that killed 13 people.

What did the men say in their defense?

The defendants pleaded not guilty for their actions. The preacher said that it was "usual" to preach on German trains and denied that they were being aggressive.

"We spoke loudly so that people would listen to us," said the preacher.

He added, "our message was only to preach the Gospel."

The case will continue on Tuesday.

https://www.dw.com/en/german-evangelists-go-on-trial-over-spain-metro-stampede/a-56811709

I've never seen that supposedly "usual" preaching on any train here BTW. Sure, people busking with more or less effort between two or three stops, hawking the magazines of homeless support groups (sometimes just a single copy they obviously picked up somewhere) or plain unaided begging, and yesterday there was a guy straight out of Monty Phython's "Meaning of Life" selling philosophical thoughts for 50 cents on the subway. Excluding the mental cases holding spirited conversations with themselves or berating teenage girls for entertaining themselves with mobile technology rather than making revolution, the nearest thing I've had was a white-bearded guy dragging a huge rollcase, with all his stuff covered by "Jesus Saves"-type phrases, looking around with an exuberantly expecting air of "Talk to me! Come on, come on, talk to me!" 

I'm pretty sure if some people burst into a train here wearing vests with Arabic lettering and started lecturing passengers about their sins, possibly in a foreign language, there would be trouble, too. Of course considering how Germans usually make "weird news", those Spaniards probably were lucky they didn't get eaten. 

FOURTH AMENDMENT "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

33 minutes ago, Rick said:

FOURTH AMENDMENT "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

I was laughing at the antics of drunken idiots until I read this post and gave the matter some thought.  If police drones are flying so low over private property that bottles can be a threat, then thee are privacy issues that need to be addressed.

3 hours ago, BansheeOne said:

Well I've never eaten a guy, so I can't compare. 🥴

A German making that claim has an uphill battle convincing people...

1 hour ago, R011 said:

I was laughing at the antics of drunken idiots until I read this post and gave the matter some thought.  If police drones are flying so low over private property that bottles can be a threat, then thee are privacy issues that need to be addressed.

Agreed. IME, when police are fixated on minor crimes and infractions, they are ignoring much larger issues. The city I used to live in had the case of a dead hooker in the dumpster behind a cheap motel. One might think the plod would take that case rather seriously, but it received only brief mention in the local news and then deafening silence. However, folks who live in good neighborhoods are used to seeing the codes inspectors checking the length of the grass on their front lawn with a yardstick.

Human trafficking is fairly common in these parts, but the municipal PDs are almost never involved; it is the county sheriff's depts or a combo of state and Border Patrol.

https://www.space.com/interstellar-object-oumuamua-pancake-shape-pluto-like-planet

The first known visitor from interstellar space, 'Oumuamua, was likely a pancake-shaped chip off a Pluto-like world, researchers say.

These findings may shed light on the stuff a new class of planet, an exo-Pluto, is made of, scientists added.

Astronomers first detected the mysterious visitor named 1I/'Oumuamua — meaning 'scout' or 'messenger' in Hawaiian — in 2017. 'Oumuamua's speed and trajectory revealed it originated outside the solar system, making it the first known interstellar object.

MV5BNTU3YTI3ZWYtYWQ4OC00ZmNjLWI1NjQtZmU0

Aaand, speaking of space...

https://disrn.com/news/three-lifeforms-unknown-to-science-discovered-inside-the-international-space-station

It may sound completely out of a science fiction film, but a team of American and Indian scientists have discovered three entirely new lifeforms existing in different locations aboard the International Space Station.

The team investigated four different strands of bacteria found between 2015 and 2016 on the ISS and identified one of them. The other three were completely unique to mankind's scientific knowledge.

Nuke 'em in orbit. Its the only way to be sure.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/ufo-theories-pentagon-chief-report

The former UFO program chief at the Pentagon, Luis Elizondo, detailed the three leading theories on where UFOs originated from and the five defining characteristics of UFOs that break the U.S.’s current understanding of the laws of physics.

During an appearance on "Fox & Friends," Elizondo, the former Director of ATTIP (Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program) said that the United States government applied the same methodology used in terrorism intel operations in regards to UFO’s and found that they are not only "real," but the information surrounding them is "compelling."