Modelling

RangerCharlie

Well with the closing of all the hobby shops in my area, it leaves the retail stores to supply models. I guess I will start purchasing all my stuff online.

Everything anybody carries around here is NASCAR anyway. Is military models on the way out?

Anybody got a good site for kits and supplies?

Squadron Shop and VLS have been very, very good to me. I just placed my first order with Roll Models. They list stuff that is considered unavailable elsewhere. Their confirmation email says it will take them 3 weeks to ship the order. That's fine if they come through but I'd hate to be strung along for nothing. Does anyone have experience w/ Roll Models?

For Russian and Ukranian stuff take a look at

http://www.nkrmodels.com.au/

If you are wondering about the prices, they are in Austrlaian dollars (also known as Pacific Pesos) and the US dollar will buy just under two Australian dollars.

Also take a look at:

http://www.aviapress.com

I have bought kits thru greatmodels.com with no problems.

I have dealt with Roll.model and know the owners personally but not well. They list stuff they think they have a reasonable chance of getting, as they deal with a LOT of distibutors. Example, they have all trumpeter tanks at $15.00. Greatmodels compares with them, but the prices are $22-$30. Why? Roll models found a good cheap distributor.

It takes Roll about 3 weeks to get the stuff to you, no problem. They send what they get and don't backorder unless you tell them to. I get about 90% of what I order, including the harder to find stuff.

It's been a couple of years,but Roll was fine to deal with,good service,good selection.

I agree that if you are looking for the odd and out of production stuff,eBay is the place to try. I've seen some very exotic stuff there over the years,mainly out of my price range,but not always.

I've recently redeveloped an old fetish for Polikarpov I-16s,and have built several old Revell ones as well as a Hasegawa. Anyone have access to any they would like to trade off/sell?