Israeli F-16's

Dave

Last night I watched the 60 Minutes story on the IDF. I noticed that their F-16's have an add on just above each wing. Can anyone tell me what that is for? Thanks

Edited by Dave

Last night I watched the 60 Minutes story on the IDF. I noticed that their F-16's have an add on just above each wing. Can anyone tell me what that is for? Thanks

Probably F-16I, they are conformal fuel tanks.

Above the wing or on the zone where the wing meets the fuselage? Either way, sounds like they were conformal fuel tanks. The F-16Is have them, IIRC.

edit: RETAC beat me to it...

Edited by eurico_viegas

I kind of thought that's what they were, but wasn't too sure. Are these fuel tanks supposed to replace the external or are the a supplement? Again Thanks!

Guest JamesG123

Depends on mission.

Short range, they free up hardpoints for ordiance. For longer range trips to say... visit Syrian nuclear facilties? They boost unrefueled range.

Depends on mission.

Short range, they free up hardpoints for ordiance. For longer range trips to say... visit Syrian nuclear facilties? They boost unrefueled range.

that was not a nice attack - when I har an F16 I like to know whos it is - not wonder if the IDF are in town. I live upagainst an army traing area, when I hear the makings of WW3 I like to be bale to say to the wife, it is only training. i do not want to start that it might be a Sayaeret paying a visit

that was not a nice attack - when I har an F16 I like to know whos it is - not wonder if the IDF are in town. I live upagainst an army traing area, when I hear the makings of WW3 I like to be bale to say to the wife, it is only training. i do not want to start that it might be a Sayaeret paying a visit

For better or for worse, Turkey seems perfectly fine with the op. Any discussions since basically drop mention of the fact Israeli aircraft entered Turkish airspace. If the Turkish government wasn't involved it was at very least not particularly offended or concerned.

For better or for worse, Turkey seems perfectly fine with the op. Any discussions since basically drop mention of the fact Israeli aircraft entered Turkish airspace. If the Turkish government wasn't involved it was at very least not particularly offended or concerned.

Personally am not worried about Ankara - th last time i was around an F16 the whole building shook by the time the second one was over, my wife was telephoning me asking what was going on

they also have <1% impact on performance...much less than underwing tanks

Doubt it. They still are a source of weight and drag. The F-15E's CFTs were designed in the same way, to minimize impact on performance - in fact, the CFTs in the F-15E even create some lift themselves during flight - but the decrease in performance is definitely still there. The CFTs on the F-16 are no different.

Maybe you mean <1% impact on subsonic drag. They definitely have a >1% effect on performance due to drag alone.

They are also butt-ugly, and without them the F-16 is a beautiful jet.

they also have <1% impact on performance...much less than underwing tanks

I bet you like your wimmin fluffy, too :). Or should I say, well-endowed. ;)

You're probably right. Those F-16 CFTs put me in mind of an otherwise shapely woman with those lumps of lard sometimes called love handles. "Something to get hold of". :lol:

Maybe you mean <1% impact on subsonic drag. They definitely have a >1% effect on performance due to drag alone.

They are also butt-ugly, and without them the F-16 is a beautiful jet.

I've read that they also have a negative effect on fatigue life of the airframe, which is why most air forces leave them off most of the time. Good for emergencies, not for routine flying.

Agreed on the ugliness.

You're probably right. Those F-16 CFTs put me in mind of an otherwise shapely woman with those lumps of lard sometimes called love handles. "Something to get hold of". :lol:

They call them "Muffin Tops" ;) Most commonly seen on girls who wear low ride jeans and shouldn't. :lol:

They call them "Muffin Tops" ;) Most commonly seen on girls who wear low ride jeans and shouldn't. :lol:

Good Sir, you have just ruined this thread for me. Now, if you'll all excuse me, i'll go scoop out my eyes with a rusty spoon to help erase the vision of lard donuts flowing out of low cut jeans that you just imprinted on my memory, along with the irreversible association of said image with CFTs on F16s... :lol:

Good Sir, you have just ruined this thread for me. Now, if you'll all excuse me, i'll go scoop out my eyes with a rusty spoon to help erase the vision of lard donuts flowing out of low cut jeans that you just imprinted on my memory, along with the irreversible association of said image with CFTs on F16s... :lol:

Very Good Sir, you just make my afternoon! That was the best laugh I have had in a while! :D MY SIDES HURT!!!

It's something you can file away for future reference:

Calling girlfriend "muffin" = Good

Calling girlfriend "muffin top" = very bad

;)

I love the Falcon. Best looking bird ever shaped by man (some [serious] competiton from BAE Hawker Hunter, MiG-29 and Hawker Tempest). And I tend to agree with M4A1 -those external fuel tanks takes away some of th F-16s original beauty.

Any ho -all beutu matters aside- How does the IAF Falcons compare to the standard Block-52 and the UAE block 60? Well, longer rang I assume, but except from that?

:lol:

Do any of the F-15Cs use the conformal fuel tanks of the Es?

I think McD came out with a FAST pack which was a bolt on conformal for the 'A' but I don't believe USAF ever adopted it. I think the Echo's conformals are an integral part of the air frame but I could be wrong. No idea if any other users adopted conformals but given the combat radius of the machine I'd rather doubt it.