Old epson scanner work tith XP?

Dame Karmen

Hi all.

Someone may be have a scanner to give me. They said hadn't used it in "years"

but worked great last time used. Its packed in a box and they won't be able to dig

for it for a week or so, but my question is ......... will an old Epson/Epsom??? scanner

"years old" work with my XP?

I have NEVER used a scanner in my life except at the library LOL so know zip about

them.

I understand "things" can be scanned on scanners ... like coins?

Thanks.

Karmen

First you need the model of the Epson scanner, then go to Epson's support page and download the proper drivers and guides.

http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/suppor...on=0010000#scan

Most software and drivers for older versions of Windows should work with Vista. If you have any problems just let us know, one of us should be able to figure it out. Good luck. :)

First you need the model of the Epson scanner, then go to Epson's support page and download the proper drivers and guides.

http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/suppor...on=0010000#scan

Most software and drivers for older versions of Windows should work with Vista. If you have any problems just let us know, one of us should be able to figure it out. Good luck. :)

Thanks Evan ... good to know. (psssssssst ... I have XP not Vista ;) ) ... gotta run back soon ...

Thanks Evan ... good to know. (psssssssst ... I have XP not Vista ;) ) ... gotta run back soon ...

DOHH! Sorry been working on a few Vista machines this week. Makes me want to buy another Mac. ;)

Okay. Back and kinda sorta focussed here :D

I take your comments to mean a definate YES that the old Epson should work with my XP with new drivers for it downloaded from that site. Good stuff!

Now ... should I be able to clearly scan coins or paper money on it do you think? I joined a couple of collectors forums to learn and they keep asking for pics as I ask about coins I have (nothing valuable as yet :( but you US folks send me your Wheaties. A 1943 would be good :D :D :D )

(Actually, there's an interesting topic for the history section ... Wartime money/currency/barter??!!! Steelies? Smokes fer ____? etc )

DOHH! Sorry been working on a few Vista machines this week. Makes me want to buy another Mac. ;)

Vista

Vista

Vista

Vista

Vista

Vista

Vista

------------ Sorry ... couldn't resist :P :D

Vista

Vista

Vista

Vista

Vista

Vista

Vista

------------ Sorry ... couldn't resist :P :D

The power of Christ compels you!

The power of Christ compels you!

In the name of Jesus I command you Satan to leave this woman!!

In the name of Jesus I command you Satan to leave this woman!!

Good luck with that command ... commanding officers tend to scare me off and running like the devil :P

I assume it's a flatbed scanner, so you can scan paper money easily. Coins shouldn't give you too much trouble, sometimes ridges and other raised or indented surfaces might be a little blurry. Just give it a try and with a little practice you should be able to do most of what you need. It's not that different than xeroxing a item, if it's to irregular it won't be all in focus.

I assume it's a flatbed scanner, so you can scan paper money easily. Coins shouldn't give you too much trouble, sometimes ridges and other raised or indented surfaces might be a little blurry. Just give it a try and with a little practice you should be able to do most of what you need. It's not that different than xeroxing a item, if it's to irregular it won't be all in focus.

Hmmmm ... I assumed it was a long flat thing, like a photo copy lid you lay down on whatever is to be photocopied. I didn't consider any other kind of "scanner" but after your comment and having a google, see there are all sorts of "types" of scanners, like handhelds DUH :D

Another thing, I just kind of assumed that scans would be in colour??????? Never thought about scanners before. Oh dear. I visited wiki and am too tired to slog through their foreign language (foreign terminology and concepts to me) Guess the best thing to do is to simply wait until I know if I will inherit this thing and what kind it is before I find out all about it and how to use it etc. Smart cookie, right? DOH again. Its all new to me.

It would be great to be able to scan photos instead of taking digital photos of my photos and uploading to my computer, especially my old black and whites.

Thanks for all your input here Evan, as ever!

A scanner is an essential item to me. Wouldn't want to miss it. The question is, from which application will you actually use the scanner. In and of itself it's useless. You need some image processing application that will allow you to actually do something with it.

As far as scanning notes is concerned, some scanners have built-in inhibitors that are supposed to prevent the scanning of money for fraudulent intentions. Since mind reading is not yet a reliable function for computers, they also block scans for legitimate purposes. Just so you know.

A scanner is an essential item to me. Wouldn't want to miss it. The question is, from which application will you actually use the scanner. In and of itself it's useless. You need some image processing application that will allow you to actually do something with it.

Do you mean programs like Paintshop Pro, Kodak, and the like, or a "specific type goes with scanners" type program???

I'd love the ability to scan documents and photos and would use it a lot I'm sure, to scan a lot of my research stuff (service records etc).

As far as scanning notes is concerned, some scanners have built-in inhibitors that are supposed to prevent the scanning of money for fraudulent intentions. Since mind reading is not yet a reliable function for computers, they also block scans for legitimate purposes. Just so you know.

Interesting and no I didn't know that ... but understandable if some people get into making their own moolah!!! Idiots screw things up for legit folks every damned time, don't they? :( As mentioned I joined a couple of forums, I'm mostly focussed on learning about coins, but have been learning about paper money too and had a $20 people wanted to see a pic of. It was what's called a radar note I learned (number reads same forward as backwards like 1234321 or 5551555 etc sorta thing) Condition effects values and I was wondering what sort of value it would have and how to look at money for special value. Couldn't scan or take a pic of it :( If I get this scanner and it can't scan a money note then I guess I'll be left with hoping I get my Kodak working again and can use that I suppose. meanwhile, I can roll on scanning my relatives service records if the scanner happens.

Thanks for your feedback Ssnake!

When you get the scanner download the appropriate drivers and software from Epson. That's all you general stuff you need for your average user. The Epson software will give you software to control your scanner and other utilities to perform most things you need it to do. Some programs like irfanview can also be used to control a scanner.

Edited for really bad spelling. <_<

Edited by EvanDP

PaintShop Pro will do just nicely. If the Epson driver fails you might still be able to use a standard TWAIN module as an "ersatz driver".

Re: scanning money, check your laws first. Over here, AFAIK, the act of scanning money is by itself a criminal act already. If you do, don't get caught, i.e. show off the printed scanned copy to your friends and family, even if you do not intend to use it as money anyway. Other people may not give a damn of your intention when you scanned the money. Putting a word "COPY - NOT FOR CIRCULATION" over the entire face of the printed copy will, AFAIK, not make your act illegal.

Re: scanning money, check your laws first. Over here, AFAIK, the act of scanning money is by itself a criminal act already. If you do, don't get caught, i.e. show off the printed scanned copy to your friends and family, even if you do not intend to use it as money anyway. Other people may not give a damn of your intention when you scanned the money. Putting a word "COPY - NOT FOR CIRCULATION" over the entire face of the printed copy will, AFAIK, not make your act illegal.

I see pics posted online in collectors forums and ebay etc and don't think they would be showing pics scans/photos they took of their bills if that was not okay to do??? I'm confused here now. LOL Maybe I should ask in the canadian paper money site if there are restrictions on making and showing images. Ya got me nervous now LOL

By the way, was just at the library and added a penny under a book page I was photocopying in order to see if it would scan, and it only showed up as a black big dot :( So much for that idea. Guess it's the wrong kind of scanner ...

Thanks Tomas, for your headsup and yes I will double check. I wouldn't want to do something not okay EEK

PS: I just did a post in that forum asking what the guidelines and rules are regards making images and showing them. Am sure I'll get quick answers :)

PS: I just did a post in that forum asking what the guidelines and rules are regards making images and showing them. Am sure I'll get quick answers :)

Source please.

Erm, I mean: just go to the source: the bank of canada. ROE for images can be found here.

And don't forget: just because thousand others do something illegal without any consequence for them won't help you a damn if the bank picks you as a warning to others.

Greetings

I did get a quick reply from that forum (numismatics people) with a link to rules of use for many countries ;)

http://www.rulesforuse.org/pub/index.php

APF ... thanks for the bank link. I know ignorance/lack of awareness doesn't let people off of anything when its a rule/law. Nothing personal, eh? Understandable! LOL I'm glad I posted about money in here otherwise I might have done something wrong and gotten in trouble through ignorance, so I thank you folks in here!!! No one explained the rules to me when asking me to post pics :( Maybe they assumed I knew how. Thats probably it.

By the way, I've only been learning about money stuff/collecting etc the last couple of weeks. In past I never noticed money except for the denomination to know how much I had, to make sure I don't short change or get shortchanged somewhere, the usual. Occassionally would spot an old coin or bill or a messed up coin or bill, but thats it.

• 3 weeks later...

Good news. Had an email from the woman with the scanner who has finally finished her home office renos and had time to go looking through boxes for that scanner and found it and BONUS she has manuals that go with it!!! Excellent news that! I should have the scanner within a few days :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well cool. Will be getting the scanner with all the connection cords and manuals tomorrow. She couldn't find the CD for it though but gave me links to get the drivers for it. Am looking forward to hooking it up and learning how to use it. :)

Well, I'm the proud new owner of this scanner. I'm impressed. I scored this through a local sort of "recylce your stuff/freebies" site where people offer things or request things. Just a "passing it on to someone who will make good use of it" site. Never know what will be offered or asked for in there and the rules are strict (and strictly monitored) about no selling and flogging allowed. Great idea for people who have stuff they want to get rid of but don't want to just chuck things out or go through the hassle of selling things.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consume...tegory=Products

Now all I need to do is install and learn how to use it (later) Its so "pretty" :D

Well, I'm the proud new owner of this scanner. I'm impressed. I scored this through a local sort of "recylce your stuff/freebies" site where people offer things or request things. Just a "passing it on to someone who will make good use of it" site. Never know what will be offered or asked for in there and the rules are strict (and strictly monitored) about no selling and flogging allowed. Great idea for people who have stuff they want to get rid of but don't want to just chuck things out or go through the hassle of selling things.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consume...tegory=Products

Now all I need to do is install and learn how to use it (later) Its so "pretty" :D

Congratulations, of course in about a week you'll say to yourself "Man now I need a faster machine". :P

Edited by EvanDP