DUMPLINGS type foods!

Dame Karmen

I I love Plyemeni and varenni....and pirogi and all aother forms of dumpling. Funny...I had Uzbek plyemeni the other day, but they were huge and called manty.

Gyoza....is exactly the same as the Chinese jiao zher and very similar to to Korean mandu.

I really dig mandu kimchi joenggols.....kimchi and dumpling hot pots.

Simon

My first taste of gyoza was in a Korean restaurant in Vancouver, BC.

and I was hooked immediately. Also had the kim chee which was HOT great

too. (I think it was Korean, had dishes like Bul Go Khe and customers cooked

at the table on a grill centered in the tabletop)

I do miss the restaurants from the Coast :(

I do love perogies too ... but my system can't seem to handle too much flour or

potato type foods at one time anymore. Strange. Is that an aging thing I wonder?

If so, bummer :D

Edited by VenerableDamePW

Gyoza and pirogi (especially potato and cheese) are food of the gods. Gnocci is close behind. Actually chicken and dumplings is probably one of the top comfort foods for me and thankfully my wife cooks an outstanding version of it.

Matt

These seem to be a north Asian thing. There was one Chinese restaurant I knew which specialized in "jiao-tze". That's all they served, in dozens of varieties. I like 'em drizzled with chilli oil. A Russian place near me had something similar on the menu as well.

On the West Coast there is a chain of Chinese supermarkets called Ranch 99 where they sell the frozen stuff. Just boil them for 5 minutes and they're done. Costco has potstickers, which is similar but has thicker wrappers and requiring sauteeing. Tasty but a little too much work for me.

My first taste of gyoza was in a Korean restaurant in Vancouver, BC.

and I was hooked immediately. Also had the kim chee which was HOT great

too. (I think it was Korean, had dishes like Bul Go Khe and customers cooked

at the table on a grill centered in the tabletop)

You can get yakimandu from street vendors after the bars close (and before as well). Quite effective at mellowing the soju hangover, and there's nothing like deep-fried anything to fill the hole. Many a night did I stop in front of a cart with a propane burner and a deep, deep wok, and slur my way through asking (in my best drunken Hangul) for an order of yaki.

Great, now I'm homesick. Sigh, the good old days.

Shot

This thread drove me to stop at my regular Jap-bar for some gyoza. They also do a chive filled version called nira manjyu...I wonder if that is a bastardization of mandu?

Perhaps the ultimate dumpling fest is a full on dim sum lunch. Fried, steamed, boiled, in soup etc.

Arggg......now I am hungry!

Simon

I'm hungry for gyoza right now too. I wonder (though doubt it)

if they have any in this town. If not, maybe I'll have to learn how

to make my own ... and then search the stores for good soy sauce,

green horseradish powder and kim chee :D

Go to a place that sells Chinese food. Ask them for potstickers. Same thing; and if they're worth the honor of their ancestors they'll pony up. Ask for some bao as well. I won't tell you what it is, but I will intimate that you'll thank me.

Shots

• 2 weeks later...

I actually don't like most types of "pierogis" (must... resist... the urge... to conjugate... correctly), which is weird, what with my background and all. Too doughy for me - at least in the boiled/steamed variation, fried I find them quite edible, but either way, they never feel like a proper meal... I do like the sweet varieties - filled with blueberries or cheese, slathered in cream - but again, that's more of a snack.

I do like various chinese-style dumplings, mostly because they tend to go light on the dough and heavy on the filling.

This thread still making me hungry :D

Regards perogies ... I can't stand the ones that use too-thick dough, like

most store bought perogies have :(

I like the perogies boiled then panfried/crisped in LOTS of onions and bacon, then

smothered in sourcream and fresh green onions

This thread still making me hungry :D

Regards perogies ... I can't stand the ones that use too-thick dough, like

most store bought perogies have :(

I like the perogies boiled then panfried/crisped in LOTS of onions and bacon, then

smothered in sourcream and fresh green onions

Yup, fried and served with tomato sauce (vodka sauce is the best) and sour cream is the way to go.

Matt

Yup, fried and served with tomato sauce (vodka sauce is the best) and sour cream is the way to go.

Matt

Never tried 'em with tomato-y sauce, and certainly never with Vodka :D

I like some dishes with tomato sauces like speghetti sauce and lasagna etc but have

always liked the creamy-cheesy sauces best.

I so know that some people DO like sauces over their perogies ... vodka sauce? :D

Gyoza and pirogi (especially potato and cheese) are food of the gods. Gnocci is close behind. Actually chicken and dumplings is probably one of the top comfort foods for me and thankfully my wife cooks an outstanding version of it.

Matt

BTW ... a friend of mine of plus 30 years from Vancouver was sad for me that I'd

be having my very first Christmas totally alone without family and friends this year

(a first in 53 years!!!) and she put together an amazing Christmas box full of "feels good"

stuff/things that personally meant something to me somehow. 2 things she added were

GNOCCI and PESTO SAUCE as a reminder of when I lived at the Coast and used to

eat gnocci often, and she remembered how much I loved the pesto (basil) sauce. The

other additions were all about memories, fun, and comfort things. A pair of fluffy, loose,

very cozy socks was a huge hit with me as I have a very hard time with socks and need

to cut off the tighter tops of them so I can get 'em on ... so ... cozy warm socks while

chowing down on gnocci and pesto and remembering the neat memories of Vancouver life

was pretty cool :)

Talk about great friends going out of their way to so personalize a gift, hey?

Okay ... back to gyoza and perogies type talk now :P