Brazilian Style Churrascaria Dining

Brasidas

I'm a huge fan of these places.

I do my best to find one wherever I am, if I happen to be travelling, and there are three of them in the Baltimore/DC/NOVA area, so I'm pretty covered.

If you don't know what they are, try this site and you'll get an idea.

http://www.fogodechao.com/

Anybody else have any good experiences with Churrascaria dining?

I love them- closest one is about an hour away in Raleigh. I really prefer being able to eat a variety of cuts of beef rather than getting the big hunks of meat that most chain steakhouses specialize in. The dried chiles, hearts of palm and other stuff on the appetizer bar are good, too.

Anybody else have any good experiences with Churrascaria dining?

Yes, but not for many years, since I was last in Brazil. The missus is a fan (she spent a while in Sao Paulo), so maybe I should seek 'em out. Bound to be some in London.

I love them- closest one is about an hour away in Raleigh. I really prefer being able to eat a variety of cuts of beef rather than getting the big hunks of meat that most chain steakhouses specialize in. The dried chiles, hearts of palm and other stuff on the appetizer bar are good, too.

This, specifically, is the rodízio, whereby you have the many cuts and offerings brought to the table. Definitely the way to go. Churrascria is more the style of preparation (barbecue and meat preparation) and typifies the style of restaurant and cooking. One often goes with the other.

Dude, there's this place in Rockville that serves Churrasco-ish meats. http://www.greenfieldchurrascaria.com/rockville.htm

Anyway, I want to know what your opinion of that place is, since I eat there quite frequently. \

Thanks for the heads up! Didn't know about it, and I am pretty fanatical about these places.

My fav cut is the Picanha, with the outer skin slightly fire singed, the thin layer of fat slightly crunchy with sea salt sticking to the outer cut of beef on either side. I usually end up getting half a plate to start the first time it goes through the rotation after the light "salad" warm up. If they have anything like that, I'll be there with bells on, but not for another couple of weeks since I live in St Mary's county and the GF just got a coupon for a complimentary meal when you buy a full price one at "Texas De Brazil" in Fairfax.

Yes, but not for many years, since I was last in Brazil. The missus is a fan (she spent a while in Sao Paulo), so maybe I should seek 'em out. Bound to be some in London.

Google says only two. Leao D' Ouro 409 Katherine Road E7 8LT for which I can't find a single online review (a bit worrying) and Rodizio Rico (77-78 Upper St Islington) which has got very varying reviews, generally trending downwards.

I'd personally recommend "Parrillada Argentina" in Antwerpen (it's on Anneessensstraat 29) which is a really decent South American restaurant.

Oh man, got to make an unexpected visit to the Texas De Brazil in Fairfax after a day at the Smithsonian complex at Dulles. What a way to finish the day. The GF was back home nobly suffering with her weight watchers diet, while I and my buddy pigged out on a bunch of beef after a day of checking out aviation history.

Dude, there's this place in Rockville that serves Churrasco-ish meats. http://www.greenfieldchurrascaria.com/rockville.htm

Anyway, I want to know what your opinion of that place is, since I eat there quite frequently. \

Oh man, I lucked out.

The GF wants to go to a fabric store in Rockville this weekend (her fave one) and this place is just down the street from it. I told her about it, and she loves the idea. I'll rate the lunch after I try it Saturday.

Oh and I forgot, you're allowed to take unfinished food out of Greenfield's.

GF and I went there.

It's ok, but not terrific. Went there on a Saturday expecting to pay $13+ for a lunch for each of us and a dessert for me. Checked the website on my phone after seeing the bill, and noticed the all day full price statement. They seem to have more authentic food, and my GF loves authentic food, but didn't like the skewered chicken hearts. It kind of freaked her out actually. First restaurant I'd ever seen that offered them. I used to eat them a lot as a kid, but I go to these places for beef damnit. I got a bunch of picanha. The gaucho making his rounds looked at me kinda funny after about the sixth request for "more" when he got to the rare cuts, and then asked me if I just wanted the whole thing, and I said "works for me!". I noticed, that Greenfields was the place if you need to find a Brazilian hottie in the US. At least on a Saturday afternoon it is. Lots of Brazilian families, and a couple of them there that afternoon, had their young unattached females along.

Overall, the full price is as expensive as the Americanized chain restaraunts, but the meat quality is slightly lower (non-prime animals, more gristle). The service wasn't A list, but it was good. There were more soups, a difference in salad-bar accouterments, and some interesting appetizers, but really for the same price, better quality with a slightly better presentation can be had. One area where they surpassed the chain restaurants, was desserts. It was better there than at any other churrascaria buffet I had been to previously. Coffee was good as well.

Authenticity is important (as are the chicken hearts). Then again, I'm Chinese. I eat at places that don't quite cater to the Western palate, but at least serve food like it was made at home, prime ingredients be damned. The local Brazilian community probably thinks the same way I do.

Authenticity is important (as are the chicken hearts). Then again, I'm Chinese. I eat at places that don't quite cater to the Western palate, but at least serve food like it was made at home, prime ingredients be damned. The local Brazilian community probably thinks the same way I do.

Chicken hearts=double plus good. My mom used to save out the gizzards for me to eat when I was a kid--kidneys, liver, heart, neck. *drool*

Unfortunately, I've never been to a Brazilian place in the US that had offal dishes. The parilladas in SA had...everything...

Chicken hearts=double plus good. My mom used to save out the gizzards for me to eat when I was a kid--kidneys, liver, heart, neck. *drool*

Yea, I always get a funny look for enjoying fried chicken livers too. Still, it's the first place that actually had chicken hearts.

I found it interesting, and I'd definitely hit it for the lunch price. But when I go there, I go for beef. I can get cheapo chicken parts cheap anywhere.

The Rodizeo grill here in Denver does the chicken hearts. They also do wild game month in February during which they bring around the usual stuff plus things like Brahma Bull Hump, Wild Boar, Rattlesnake sausage and Bison. One of my favorite things they do is Bacon Wrapped Turkey medallions. Don't know how authentic it is but the staff all seem to be from Brazil and the food tastes good.

The Onion's "National News Highlights" had the following rollover blurb in this week's edition:

CHICAGO, IL—Instead of wasting money at that fancy new Brazilian place,

Mark Tardi stayed home and shoved a knife through a pork chop and a hot dog.

:lol:

I love these places. One of my best friends is Brazilian, and he got me into it... Manhattan has some really nice Churrasco restaurants, but they tend to be expensive as hell. Worth it, though.

Do you have any good recommendations? I know a couple great ones in Miami, but none in NYC...at least none that are still in business.