MAG58s and MG42s forever?

With the HK121/MG5 in the works, what was the point of that FN MAG clone H&K revealed some time ago?

It was done to meet a British order, I believe (FN weren't in a position to supply it at the time, or something). HK also produced some lightweight versions, also to meet a British requirement, but they don't seem to have gone anywhere.

Is the 7.62 Minimi/Mk-48 purchase a UOR thing or is it intended to become limited/standard issue?

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the HK121/MG5 in the works, what was the point of that FN MAG clone H&K revealed some time ago?

It was done to meet a British order, I believe (FN weren't in a position to supply it at the time, or something). HK also produced some lightweight versions, also to meet a British requirement, but they don't seem to have gone anywhere.

Is the 7.62 Minimi/Mk-48 purchase a UOR thing or is it intended to become limited/standard issue?

I think it's for special forces use.

I've seen British Army briefings this year, but not that slide. Interesting that they see the L22A2 being replaced by a PDW (probably more likely to be the MP7 as shown than anything else).

They seem to be backing off from plans to adopt an L85A2 replacement; I was told by someone in a good position to know that they are really looking for a step-change in capability to be worth replacing the L85A2. They're not going to get that from any conventional 5.56mm rifle.

Edited by Tony Williams

Do you think they can hold out long enough for the 6.364mm LSAT round?

I might be able to answer that if I knew what was going to happen to LSAT. The US Army seems to have pushed any service weapon into the post-2020 timeframe, so they're in no hurry to decide about it.

• 5 weeks later...

Take apart an Ultimax.

SCREAM.

Yes, it's pretty terribly-made, especially if you've encountered a Mk II or an early Mk III. Actually, you don't even have to take one apart for the shoddiness to be apparent. On our heavily-abused training weapons, the finishing peels off, the charging handle and its connecting rod feels wobbly... At least in the final Mk III export models it looks like they changed the flimsy way the butt is attached to the receiver.

All these are penalties for using really lightweight metal for weight saving. I've always thought of it as the "Sten" of LMG with all its cheap metal stamping etc.

Me, I just love firing it. You cannot begin to appreciate the Ultimax until you shoot one and feel its controllability or carried one as a infantryman and appreciate its lightness.

Had the USMC had adopted the Ultimax, we'd be able to see if US manufacture would iron out all the shoddy workmanship problem. It is a great design by Sullivan.

• 4 weeks later...

So long Brownings!

http://www.army.mod.uk/news/24697.aspx

BTW it says in article that Brownings have served since 1967...AFAIK its only FN made L9's that that entered service in 1960's but wasn't there Canadian made models service since WWII...

The BA bought c.4000 SIG pistols a few years back as a UOR. Apparently they suffered quality issues. They're now buying 25,000 Glock 17 Gen 4, which is one heck of a lot given the size of the army, and the fact that until recently pistols were regarded as little more than an irrelevance. The main reason (although they're reluctant to say it) seems to be so that the troops can be armed all of the time, including in the bases, in case some of the local soldiers/police they work with turn on them. The fact that the Glock is very fast into action because there's no safety catch to worry about operating has been cited as an advantage (yes, I know that applies to any pistol with a double-action trigger, but they have heavier trigger actions on the first shot plus are left in an unsafe condition after shooting so need the hammer to be uncocked).

Glocks as a service pistol?

Oh dear, this can only end in tears.

Well when FDF changed SIG's to Glock's in Afghanistan rumor says that amount of pistol related ND's dropped drastically...

In fact it is quite funny that FDF has been in similar situation than BA and done similar moves, but in couple years ahead all the time:

FDF has had FN HP as a main pistol type, but need to arm increasing amount of solder abroad in mid-late 1990's lead to "UOR-deal" to by SIG P226's and since 2009 FN's and SIG's are phased out with Glock G17's.

They're now buying 25,000 Glock 17 Gen 4, which is one heck of a lot given the size of the army, and the fact that until recently pistols were regarded as little more than an irrelevance. The main reason (although they're reluctant to say it) seems to be so that the troops can be armed all of the time, including in the bases, in case some of the local soldiers/police they work with turn on them.

That is in fact quite good reason and resent growth of green-on-blue addresses this even more. When I was in AFG many of other nation solder were bit envy to all Nordic solders that all had personal pistols and could carry those instead of rifle/MG in camps. Of course our contingents were small so it is easy task to arm and train everybody with two weapons, but still..

Edited by CV9030FIN

Toms still do stupid shit with SiGs. Read an OLAAR about an ND in 2010/11 in Afghan. Soldier playing with SiG on bed, someone tells him to stop fucking about, he says the classic, "its not even loaded", aims it at his muckers chest and then bang.

Thankfully the bloke survived.

There's something about pistols - I noticed this. Blokes would leave all their long arms alone generally but pistols were always been played with. When I say play I don't mean always fucking about but there was a fascination with the things.

That said, Toms tend to mess about with most things until they get bored, lose it, kill someone or break it.

So long Brownings!

http://www.army.mod.uk/news/24697.aspx

BTW it says in article that Brownings have served since 1967...AFAIK its only FN made L9's that that entered service in 1960's but wasn't there Canadian made models service since WWII...

Yes in limited numbers. Initially issued to Paras, SAS etc in lieu of the .45 Colt automatics they had previously used but gradually replaced revolvers in other units too.

Perhaps Finns are raised with more respect for firearms than others. Even in the US, many LEOs and service people have never touched a gun until they receive their training, so many don't acquire 'second-nature' safety awareness.

One trainer picked up a G17 in the mid-'90s with the intent of wearing it out. The last I saw (a few years ago), it was over 750,000 rd and still going strong.

The Glocks will likely do better in service than most think, and it comes down to that feature that everyone bitches about: The lack of an external manual safety.

It's just like that Dutchman who found that traffic slowed and people drove more carefully with fewer traffic control measures. The fact that they aren't there causes the drivers to operate more carefully and attentively because they know they're out there on their own. Similarly, the fact that there isn't an "off switch" usually serves to keep most operators a hell of a lot more cautious with the Glock than with something that does have the external safety. There will always be that percentage, however, that have to learn the hard way, and those screw-ups would likely have had a negligent discharge no matter what you gave them to carry. Some people are just not trustworthy with arms, and if you gave them a damn club, they'd find a way to hurt themselves or someone else with it.

Glock got a lot more "right" with his designs than he got wrong. I used to loathe the things, back in the early days, terming them "Combat Tupperware". Then I actually spent some time behind the trigger of one, and discovered what a simple little joy the design is, and I am now a believer. For self-defense and military use, I think the Glock is an outstanding design. I'm not so sure about police use, due to the low level of training a lot of officers display, and the potential for a weapon to be taken away--On a gun I'm carrying for police duties, I think I'd have to opt for an external applied safety on what was on my belt, and a concealed backup like a Glock 26 somewhere else.