Czech government backs from Pandur APC deal

Marek Tucan

This just in. Czech government decided that it would execute the right to back from Pandur II APC deal.

First 17 APC's were to be delivered till the end of November, but due to numerous problems they were rejected and Steyr announced that removing the faults would mean first vehicles will be available as late as in March 2008.

Minister of Defence was tasked by the government to prepare variants of dealing with the problem of replacement of old APC's before January 31st, 2008.

Seems we live in interesting times :)

Edited by Tuccy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't the chief reason they chose Pandur II instead of AMV in the first place that Pandur was cheaper but "good enough"? Or am I thinking of another bidding? If that was the case, wouldn't AMV be the top choice now that Pandur wasn't "good enough" after all? What were the other contenders in the original race?

In fact at least i our case both Pandur and AMV (and LAV-III Truck Death Trap before it was withdhrawn) were at roughly the same cost and more expensive than comparable deals because our MoD in its geniality publicly announced what top price does it expect so of course all competitors did set the cost just below that amount :rolleyes:

First 17 APC's were to be delivered till the end of November, but due to numerous problems they were rejected and Steyr announced that removing the faults would mean first vehicles will be available as late as in March 2008.

Same thing happened here... The first 10 were sent back to Steyr. AFAIR, these would be the only ones built in Austria, with the rest of the order (260) being built here in Portugal.

The Portuguese competition was also Pandur, Piranha (III, IIRC) and AMV. AMV was droped early due to some "technicality", i.e., no one knows why it was droped from the roster.

Same thing happened here... The first 10 were sent back to Steyr. AFAIR, these would be the only ones built in Austria, with the rest of the order (260) being built here in Portugal.

The Portuguese competition was also Pandur, Piranha (III, IIRC) and AMV. AMV was droped early due to some "technicality", i.e., no one knows why it was droped from the roster.

Heh, at least you have cost per unit roughly 2.5 times LESS :lol:

Heh, at least you have cost per unit roughly 2.5 times LESS :lol:

So, your Pandurs would be built in Austria, right? I did remember the price tags being different, but thought it was because you would get a lot more IFVs than we... Then there's the whole 105mm frak-up: first we want, then they become "options", then we don't need them, and now after we managed to get some Leopards (ex-dutch) they're back on the menu! A lot of people here complain because of that, the whole "why do we need two things for the same job?". It does make sense to me, the Pandurs are going mainly to the Rapid Reaction Brigade, not to the Mech Brigade... Who's going to provide DF support to them (Rapid Reaction Brigade)? The Leos that will never leave Portugal?

my 2 cents

Iirc the was an appeal by Patria also in Portugal for that very reason. Is the appeal still open or is the case closed?

Iirc the was an appeal by Patria also in Portugal for that very reason. Is the appeal still open or is the case closed?

The appeal never stood a chance. From what i recall the general media never referenced Patria as a competitor, or if it did it would just say things like "it's finnish" and "it's in service with the finnish army", while the Piranha was praised as the best thing since sliced bread. At the time of the trials, fotos were released on newspapers of the Piranha and Pandur trials, but none from the AMV trial. It was claimed that the AMV had serious cross-country mobility problems, but there was no proof shown to support this by anyone... The decision to drop Patria from the competition and later to overturn the appeal was, in my opinion, a political one.

The deal with Steyr was announced two-to-three weeks before the general elections, and there was great emphasis in official statements that this would be "the portuguese solution", implying only Steyr proposed local production, which in itself (the local production bit) was among the stupidest things I ever heard. Portugal made some 200, maybe 300 Chaimites (modified Cadillac-Gage V-100), but production stopped in 1980 and there were no tools from that factory, not that it would matter... The whole "where will we build the Pandurs?" soap-opera got way out of hand and delayed deliveries by nearly two years... But at least they are building them. Its the only thing in Portuguese military procurement that is not in a FUBAR state - ok, the Leopards aren't either, but the deal with the Netherlands only went public when it was confirmed.

[/semi-Threadjacker 2000 mode]

The deal with Steyr was announced two-to-three weeks before the general elections

You still don't beat us however you might try with weirdness of the contract :P OUR Pandur deal was signed by previous government's MoD on his very last day in the office after elections :lol:

You still don't beat us however you might try with weirdness of the contract :P OUR Pandur deal was signed by previous government's MoD on his very last day in the office after elections :lol:

Damn. :blink: Hmm, maybe the Czech are related to the Portuguese after all. A more evolved and refined version of us.

But there is one thing that we have over you guys: we have GAV!NS, loads and loads of them (only useable as bombs, since nearly all of them are non-runners :lol: )

GD has been trying to drum up business for its rather moribund Steyr Spezialfahrzeug subsidiary and a decision was made to focus on the Pandur for Eurozone.

I say...defenestrate the local agent!

Simn

Well, that would be fun... ;) But I'm sure the guy would just spill his guts to cover his ass. Which would be even funnier, since the company that pushed for the Pandur here in Portugal is related to one of the largest private banks, which also had a number of very strange decisions going their way on the last days of the former government... Who knows what would be unearthed if that happened?

AMV was droped early due to some "technicality", i.e., no one knows why it was droped from the roster.

Patria's offer documentation and brochures arrived half hour (!) too late from deadline time and documentation file's seal was broken(!) for some reason, and so technically speaking offer was not acceptable as it was little late and non-sealed. This is the reason which also c.e.o of Patria, J. Wiitakorpi admitted. However i don't know the REAL reason behind this, as those two little mishappenings seem to be a slightly impropable for dropping very potential canditate from competition.

Patria's offer documentation and brochures arrived half hour (!) too late from deadline time and documentation file's seal was broken(!) for some reason, and so technically speaking offer was not acceptable as it was little late and non-sealed. This is the reason which also c.e.o of Patria, J. Wiitakorpi admitted. However i don't know the REAL reason behind this, as those two little mishappenings seem to be a slightly impropable for dropping very potential canditate from competition.

The half-hour misshap I did know about, but in a country where everything runs late thats hardly a reason for ditching someone from a competition, I thought. Now, the broken seals... :blink:

That must be even worse than clubbed baby seals ;)

It is.

[Kurtz, Marlon Brando style]

The horror... The horror... :lol:

[/Kurtz, Marlon Brando style]

And the local treehuggers camping outside the MoD for that single broken seal... ;)

The Czech should have followed the Hungarian example. Get a hoard (600+) of BTR-80s and -80As (among other things like MiG-29s) for the Soviet state debt, probably the only wise procurement decision since the end of the Cold War (although some details cast a bit doubt on it as usual).