Hungarian Army Shooting test

Hpasp

They also used tried the RPG-7, SZPG, MT-12 100 mm antitank gun, 2S1 and 2S3 with cumulative grenades, Maljutka, Fagott, Konkurs missiles against the T-54 front armor.

Each of the above was successfully penetrated the T-54 front tower, and glacis.

They also tried to add the T-55AM's Brows Armor to the T-54s tower, and shot it with the Fagot missile.

To their astonishment, the missile penetrated the Brows Armor, the tower side, and the cumulative beam stopped at the gun's breach...

They shot the T-54's front glacis with the Maljutka-P missile, it penetrated the glacis, went through the driver (imitated by a 30cm diameter of bough), and stopped at the engine bay, demolishing it.

again...

MT-12 shots

HPASP. The photos are pretty good value. The MAGYAR text of the other posting is a little hard to fathom. This might to apply only to me whose vocabulary is restricted to the words for bridge( hid), hill (hegy). forbidden ( nemsabod(sp) and I presume chain (lank) as in lankhid (chain bridge) the famous structure between Buda and Pest.

I do have two questions which you may, or may not, care to answer

1. Is the malutka(sp) a Russian weapon and does the name derive from the familiar multi-piece wooden doll and imply a tandem type of warhead?

2. what's the cause of the damage to the roadwheel tyre(?) shown in the last photo. WB

:

1. Is the malutka(sp) a Russian weapon and does the name derive from the familiar multi-piece wooden doll and imply a tandem type of warhead?

2. what's the cause of the damage to the roadwheel tyre(?) shown in the last photo. WB

:

These are Russian missile names...

9M14P1 Maljutka - AT-3 Sagger

9M111 Fagot - AT-4 Spigot

The MON-200 is a directional type anti-personnel mine designed and manufactured in Russia.

You shouldn't learn Hungarian at all...

... its a crazy language :rolleyes:

The original version of the (9M14 Maljutka - AT-3A Sagger-A) with 400mm penetration capable cumulative head, entered service in the Hungarian army in 1975.

It was quickly superseded by the (9M14P1 Maljutka-P - AT-3C Sagger-C) with 520mm penetration capable cumulative head, in 1978.

Hungarian army estimated, that the hit probability of the first type is only 20-25%, meanwhile with the second variant is 80-90%.

The original version of the (9M14 Maljutka - AT-3A Sagger-A) with 400mm penetration capable cumulative head, entered service in the Hungarian army in 1975.

It was quickly superseded by the (9M14P1 Maljutka-P - AT-3C Sagger-C) with 520mm penetration capable cumulative head, in 1978.

Hungarian army estimated, that the hit probability of the first type is only 20-25%, meanwhile with the second variant is 80-90%.

Do you know those value (hit probability) for Fagot? About a year ago Polish Army there were shootings with Spikes, Maljutkas and Fagots. 2 used Fagots failed and did not even launched. There were comments that it could reflect quality and readiness of all Fagots (older than 20 years). From few (6?) Maljutkas only 1 failed, hitting the ground into it`s dead zone (<400 m).

Btw. T-54 turret pierced through front and rear... very informative. I suppose in case of f.e. Stryker slate armour with even 2 m standoff would not be enough.

Edited by Przezdzieblo

Do you know those value (hit probability) for Fagot? About a year ago Polish Army there were shootings with Spikes, Maljutkas and Fagots. 2 used Fagots failed and did not even launched. There were comments that it could reflect quality and readiness of all Fagots (older than 20 years). From few (6?) Maljutkas only 1 failed, hitting the ground into it`s dead zone (<400 m).

Btw. T-54 turret pierced through front and rear... very informative. I suppose in case of f.e. Stryker slate armour with even 2 m standoff would not be enough.

For the Fagot, it is the same 80-90%, but it only counts with the working missiles. ;)

You shouldn't learn Hungarian at all...

... its a crazy language :rolleyes:

HPASP. I don't rank any or all languages in any category. All have their devoted users. My introduction to "nemsabod" came from a helpful young man/youth by the shores of Lake Balaton whilst I was fishing for "rakfen(sp)" during what was apparently a closed season! Sometimes words in any language can be useful, The local Gendarmerie arrived soon after. WB

They also used tried the RPG-7, SZPG, MT-12 100 mm antitank gun, 2S1 and 2S3 with cumulative grenades, Maljutka, Fagott, Konkurs missiles against the T-54 front armor.

Each of the above was successfully penetrated the T-54 front tower, and glacis.

They also tried to add the T-55AM's Brows Armor to the T-54s tower, and shot it with the Fagot missile.

To their astonishment, the missile penetrated the Brows Armor, the tower side, and the cumulative beam stopped at the gun's breach...

They shot the T-54's front glacis with the Maljutka-P missile, it penetrated the glacis, went through the driver (imitated by a 30cm diameter of bough), and stopped at the engine bay, demolishing it.

Are there pics available showing the firing results against the T-55AM's BDD armor?

Did you penetrate front of T-55AM with anything other than Fagot?

Ooops :blink: , they not shot at any T-55AM, the targets were retired T-54's.

They only added the T-55AM's BDD armor (called "kifli" in Hungarian, what means croissant) to the tower of an T-54, and shot the side of it with Fagot.

(Hungarian is a crazy language, I know, I'm a Hungarian ;) )

Hmmm not sure why was that astonishing. BDD+base armor will struggle to stop Fagot even in the best protected aspect, never mind the side of the turret....

Standoff by itself is overrated. Unless special measures are taken to disrupt the jet, even large standoff by itself will not make much difference.

Hmmm not sure why was that astonishing. BDD+base armor will struggle to stop Fagot even in the best protected aspect, never mind the side of the turret....

The representative from the manufacturer probably said: "Don't worry comrade, the add-on armor will make you impervious to all imperialist missiles." ;) :)

Because of the increased standoff distance...

... another Fagot shot:

This time T-54 with added (T-55AM) side skirts, was shot with Fagot.

The missile flied through the skirts, the wings cut cross mark into it :o.

The cumulative jet cut through the middle wheel upper side (steel and rubber).

It burned a hole to the side of the hull, demolished the interior (across the pre-heater), cut a hole at the other side, and stopped in the wheel (other side).

That is the story about increased standoff distance...

:blink:

Hi Hpsap:

Regarding the 100mm MT-12 test shots – do you happen to know the range between the gun and the T54? Also I don’t suppose there are interior side photos of the two MT-12 penetrations?

http://imgfrm.index.hu/imgfrm/8/0/6/2/BIG_0003598062.jpg

http://imgfrm.index.hu/imgfrm/8/0/6/3/BIG_0003598063.jpg

Thanks

Jeff