Anyone else see the Nat. Geographic SF doc?

Guest JamesG123

Could the behaviour be explained partly by:

1) Need to 'Be one with the locals', show that you trust them etc?

2) There are not a lot of options to patrol in the very small villiages, and just about any route is one of only very few options, thus easy to IED? and combined with their small AO's...

Just wondering...

Can't view the pics though due to the morality filters...

A2Keltainen - You're WAY too infatuated with this subject.

Perhaps dated but late 80s Ft Lewis (9ID leg/mtz Inf, a Ranger Bn, a SF Grp).

The SF was not a destination of interest to "normal" Inf troops. Mostly the wack jobs/those who had spent too much time watching the Johnnie Rambos movies. Reputaions was little time on training, lots of gadfly tourist trips and every other minute hanging out at the gym bulking up with powerlifting BS. Delta reputation a subset with emphasis on wackos/undiciplined.

On the other hand, considerable interest in transfer into the Ranger Bn - lots of training time with minimal distractions.

Worked with a MEF at 29 Palms on an excercise in 88. My Bn air deployed by C141/KC10 to act as OPFOR for the MEF. A group of "SEALS" (w/dune buggies) was there in support of the jarheads. I was short and ended up stuck as a liason officer at the MEF rear HQ. I certainly got a poor impression of the Seals. Undiciplined dirtballs who managed to kill one of their guys during a training exercise with the gungho/we're rebels BS.

I'm of the opinion that ANY military unit that can not, FIRST establish and maintain personal and unit discipline, is nothing but a rabble made up of nonproductive a dirtballs (see also any terrorist group in Iraq/Afgan). Perhaps makes me an unwashed savage. Oh well.

<snip>

I'm of the opinion that ANY military unit that can not, FIRST establish and maintain personal and unit discipline, is nothing but a rabble made up of nonproductive a dirtballs (see also any terrorist group in Iraq/Afgan). Perhaps makes me an unwashed savage. Oh well.

The accomplishments of the SOF guys in Afghanistan to date would argue they are not totally ineffective.

A2Keltainen - You're WAY too infatuated with this subject.

Well, not everyone can be obsessive about the exact number of bolts and nuts on some obscure WW2 German tank version. :D ;) One of my main military interests is light infantry in its different forms, so it's not really that weird that I find it interesting to see what equipment the top light infantry units, which is what the mentioned SOF units basically are, use. And since good reliable textual information about the equipment SOF units use is hard to find, pictures of them using the equipment is the best way to gain knowledge about what equipment they use.

CIA (the officer in the last two pictures gave his life during his service there unless my memory is completly broken):

If you're thinking that's Johnny "Mike" Spann, it's not. IIRC, this is the other CIA guy at mazar-i-sharif in November 2001. AFAIK, the guy is still alive (and retired).

If you're thinking that's Johnny "Mike" Spann, it's not. IIRC, this is the other CIA guy at mazar-i-sharif in November 2001. AFAIK, the guy is still alive (and retired).

Yes, Spann is the guy I thought it was, although I became a bit unsure later on since the guy in the pictures seems older than Spann was when he died.

Yes, Spann is the guy I thought it was, although I became a bit unsure later on since the guy in the pictures seems older than Spann was when he died.

Far too old to be Spann - IIRC, the guy-in-pictures ("Dave") was retired, came back after 9-11 and re-retired after that tour.

Dodge Billingsley was inside the fort during the uprising (the ARD crew being outside), his videos are worth watching.

http://www.combatfilms.com/cfrtv_archive_all.asp