Iranian tank force?

Vuk

I am curious about the Iranian tankforce, do they still use the western supplied tanks? And another thing I am trying to find out is if they upgraded all M-48 to M-48A5 standard? Any suggestions on links about the current Iranian Armed forces?

M-60s are still in active service as far as I know.

The Revolutonary Guards armor brigades are equiped with T-72S (Iranian "S", not Russian "S") and Zulifiqar though. There might still be some upgraded Shieftains (Shir Iran) in the regular army brigades. But I never heard of active M-48s...

Did they actually get Shirs? I thought that they were cancelled by the Iranians

They got them, some 1,200 at that. many were used in the Iran-Iraq war and at least one was displayed in a "victory" parade in Baghdad. At the time it gave me the shivers as I thought of a Soviet victory parade in Moscow with a captured British Cheiftain; but that is my hang-up. I beleive they are being gradually replaced with newer Soviet equipment. However this tank which may be regarded as a T-72 equivilent (stated on this Forum) could give a very nasty surprize if used skilfully.

It is my understanding that current Iranian plans to deal with a "western" invasion would be a fighting retreat using conventional and unconventional weapons together with a large irregular militia in the manner that caused some irritation on the march to Baghdad. Saddam never got the combination right, but the Iranians have learned many lessons from their fallen advisary and from watching the Coalition's way of war. Arguably Iran is a far more sufisticated country than Iraq, with a vastly greater population and better defensive georgraphy (distance to Tehran from an invasion point(s)). Further I would argue that Iranian capacity to fight and die for their "country" rather than their "regime" far exceeds that of Iraq that has a much weaker national ethos.

They got them, some 1,200 at that. many were used in the Iran-Iraq war and at least one was displayed in a "victory" parade in Baghdad. At the time it gave me the shivers as I thought of a Soviet victory parade in Moscow with a captured British Cheiftain; but that is my hang-up. I beleive they are being gradually replaced with newer Soviet equipment. However this tank which may be regarded as a T-72 equivilent (stated on this Forum) could give a very nasty surprize if used skilfully.

It is my understanding that current Iranian plans to deal with a "western" invasion would be a fighting retreat using conventional and unconventional weapons together with a large irregular militia in the manner that caused some irritation on the march to Baghdad. Saddam never got the combination right, but the Iranians have learned many lessons from their fallen advisary and from watching the Coalition's way of war. Arguably Iran is a far more sufisticated country than Iraq, with a vastly greater population and better defensive georgraphy (distance to Tehran from an invasion point(s)). Further I would argue that Iranian capacity to fight and die for their "country" rather than their "regime" far exceeds that of Iraq that has a much weaker national ethos.

Iran recieved 908 Chieftain MBT's IIRC. None of the Shir 1's were delivered. Of 125 ordered all went to Jordan which increased its order to a total of 274 and these are still active. None of the 1225 Shir 2 ordered was ever built.

M60A1 numbers delivered were around 450 IIRC and I've heard anywhere from 400-700 M47's of which at least 400 were upgraded locally to M47M standard. I don't remember the numbers of M48's but I think all were upgraded locally to A5. Iran certainly had the means to do so.

I think (back to thtread) that whatever the Iranians still have rolling would be decimated by Air and the dregs would be easily dispatched by'Western' armor.

Not that it's going to happen

Even if there is a conflict, there's no way anyone will actually invade. Regime change would be prefered but damaging the nuclear infrastructure would be the primary goal. And as far as regime change, limiting the oil industry either militarily or politically (capturing/disabling oil platforms, blockades, whatever) would probably be a more effective way to unseat the regime than marching on Tehran. Not that any of that will happen either.

I stand corrected. Must of got confused as I do remember the British making great hay (sp?) out of the order at the time.