Is personal marksmanship a limiting factor in combat effectiveness?

In what way is SAA hazardous?

To the Army (and more importantly to DOT/transportation industry) ammo is ammo only dif is class and volume. All hazardous material when in commerical transport system.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the Army (and more importantly to DOT/transportation industry) ammo is ammo only dif is class and volume. All hazardous material when in commerical transport system.

Small arms ammo is NOT HAZMAT. I can get anything short of 20mm delivered to my house via UPS without paying HAZMAT fees, so the .mil's excuses don't hold water. The restrictions of ranges are bureaucracy for it's own sake, the reasons for implementation hacing long since been lost to history. Like a large portion of the things we do in the .mil, it might as well be religious ritual for all the rational thought involved. S/F....Ken M

Not bother was the answer when I was on active duty. And was same 20years ago.

In 87-88 I was Spt PL for an Inf Bn. If you wanted to fire had to forecast ammo 120days out (BN S-3). Confirm at 60 and 30days. Schedule a draw date/time with the ASP week out (Spt Lpt/S-4). Req ranges 60days out confirm 30days (S-3). Range meeting/conf 30days and week prior. Co assigned to run range have recons, rehearsal, TIP, crawl/walk/run/etc. To draw ammo (even if limited to Inf small arms) - Every truck had a -30level tech inspection by civ ammo employee before would be allowedin the ASP (not even Class I leak/seepage). Had to have a "convoy" lead vehicle (even if the convoy was one truck with one can of 5.56. Lead veh could haul no ammo of any type. Could only haul ANY ammo on a 5T or larger truck. Convoy Co and TC fro each truck was armed. His ammo supply was ONE FIVE round magazine which could NOT be in the weapon (my little rebellion against stupidity was to mag in the .45). And Forscom ammo allocation (this in the boom times of the Reagan admin) allowed 120rd/11 series/yr. Setting up an Olympic venue about the same.

By contrast...

Two of us joined the Bn from the same unit, where we'd been in the shooting team. The bulk of the Bn team came from our rifle coy in the Borders, and we were both Edinburgh based. Anyway, it's 1990, it's coming up to an event, we need to check-zero our rifles, and so the Training Major "sorts something out".

We turned up at Bn HQ on a working day, and are told "I've sorted you out with some range time at Castlelaw (about 30 minutes drive) - the Regulars are up there today, and they'll give you some range space". I ask about ammunition, as we've got the L1A1, and they've got L85A1... "Ah. Collect some from the RQMS" and about transport "You can both drive, can't you?".

So. We go down to see the RQMS, draw our SLRs from the armoury, and are handed 250rds of 7.62 carton in a plastic bag ("and don't bring any back!"), with the work ticket and keys for a 1/2t Landrover. So, off the two of us drive through sunny Edinburgh - for about 15minutes, before the Landie breaks down. We pull into a side street, and start looking for a telephone - and being paranoid, I consider the implications of being armed to the teeth, on the day of HM visiting Edinburgh, and being on one of the arterial routes into the city. Not a "will we get spotted on a security sweep" worry, more a "how much is the CO going to shout at us because the Police got stressed" worry.

By the time we got a tow back to the TA Centre, the day was a write-off (not enough time to get out to the range), the Queen had chosen another route around town (nothing to do with us, thankfully), the RQMS was annoyed at having to open the magazine back up, but on the bright side the rifles didn't need much cleaning...

...if you really want scary, we were both 2Lts. But then, we can't have been that bad - there are very few 2Lts I'd let drive a Landrover, still less allow them unsupervised access to weapons and ammunition...

Edited by FirstOfFoot

In what way is SAA hazardous?

So - how tolerant is the ferry company to you carrying ammo? Ironically, we jumped through more hoops for the ferry journey to the Isle of Man than we ever have to carry ammunition on a civil aircraft...

So - how tolerant is the ferry company to you carrying ammo?

I just don't tell them I have it with me. To be honest it has never occurred to me to do so. I've crossed the Pentland Firth with 3,000 rounds (.22LR and .22WMR) on my person.