New Company Commander

M1Buck

Oh, and don't forget about your first-60-day 'free pass' inspection which you can request from Battalion. It's a sort of external status check which you can request shortly after taking command, (I can't recall the official name of it, it doesn't seem well advertised. Can anyone help?) which can't count against you regardless of how badly the company scores, but is a good point of reference to let you know where you stand from the point of view of an external evaluator.

On a more practical matter, and going back to command policy, how does one actually go about setting the rules forward?

i.e., there you are, at the Change of Command ceremony. The BC has just given you the Guidon, and marched off to the side. You turn around, face your new company and....

A) Just immediately have Top take over, and address the company in a slightly less formal, more private formation later?

B )Say "Hi! My name's M1Buck! I'm your new CO! Watch out for a policy letter in the next newsletter that explains how I intend things to work, but in the meantime, I'll just say I'm happy to be here" (Or a combination wth A)

C) Right there and then start preaching fire and brimstone.

NTM

If it’s any help, go onto youtube for some footage of Canadians fighting last year in Op Medusa. Good luck, and they are predicating temperatures of 50-65° Celsius for this summer.

Good luck

I can't offer much, coming from a different system, but during my 3 years as a 2nd and 1st LT, I gathered some insights...

1)Lead, set up the standards trough your actions, you shouldn't expect a soldier to do something you wouldn't do.

2)Mentor your LTs, the best CO I had until now made mentoring his platoon COs his #1 priority, and from where I stand now, we're doing much better than Lts from other companies...

3)Decide on a level you want to reach by the time you deploy, then set up short term goals for reaching it. Each week check your progress and see where you are standing.

4)Your most important resource are your men, care for them, and they'll go with you to the end of the world.

5)An article I'm translating into English now (a Bn CO's views on leadership in the 2nd lebanon war, will post when finished), mention's a quote from a US Bn CO in Mogadishu, it sais something like "The Bn CO's weapon is his battalion", while you will also see action, remember that your company is another weapon you have, use it.

Good point on the last. Some CO's are so busy trying to get into the fight personally that they forget to command their unit. You are far more valuable with a hand mic maneuvering units than in the middle of the action shooting bad guys. You have 60-100 others to do that for you. Its up to you to get them into a position, with all the weapons and support and supplies they need to do that as efficiently and decisively as possible. Anyone can be a fighter, only you can be the commander.

Always maintain composure in contact, and maneuver your units. Keep BN advised and work lateral Xtalk with adjacent company CO's to fight the fight at that level. Peer to peer communication is the best way to fight a battle.

As far as leadership goes, learn how to handle bad news. As an officer you will be confronted by numerous little (and big) fires on a regular basis. Its the way that you react that determines whether you throw water on the fire, or gasoline.

Remember that wherever you go, all the soldiers in your command will be looking at you and observing what you do at all times. You might not like it, or even notice it, but you are on parade at all times. Act accordingly.