Do the Insurgents in Iraq or Afghan. have any heavy weapons?

tanknut

Do the myriad various rebel factions in Iraq (shia and Sunni) and the Taliban/Al-quida/and allies in Afghanistan have anything heavier than GPMG's, RPG's, and a few mortars? Do they operate any heavy or crew served weapons?

Do the myriad various rebel factions in Iraq (shia and Sunni) and the Taliban/Al-quida/and allies in Afghanistan have anything heavier than GPMG's, RPG's, and a few mortars? Do they operate any heavy or crew served weapons?

We got rocket-ed plenty of times in Tikrit. Can't say what the ali-ba ba's are using out on the street other than mortars, AK's and RPG's.

107mm and 122mm rockets. 120, 100, 82 and 60mm mortars. 12.7mm DsHK's, 14.5mm's here and there. Seen 23mm once. Lots of RPG-7's, a few SPG-9's, probably some other RCL's too. Plenty of tube launched aircraft rockets (57, 68, 70 and 77mm) Small arms. Plenty of PKM's.

That's all I've seen. S/F.....Ken M

107mm and 122mm rockets. 120, 100, 82 and 60mm mortars. 12.7mm DsHK's, 14.5mm's here and there. Seen 23mm once. Lots of RPG-7's, a few SPG-9's, probably some other RCL's too. Plenty of tube launched aircraft rockets (57, 68, 70 and 77mm) Small arms. Plenty of PKM's.

That's all I've seen. S/F.....Ken M

Have they ever used the bigger Soviet 160mm mortars before to you're knowledge? And are the 122mm rockets ever launced out of the Stalin's organ tube on the back of BM-21's or just single individually fired rockets launched off the ground and other home-made launching devices?

Have they ever used the bigger Soviet 160mm mortars before to you're knowledge? And are the 122mm rockets ever launced out of the Stalin's organ tube on the back of BM-21's or just single individually fired rockets launched off the ground and other home-made launching devices?

160mm are for IED's, they're too big to move.

122mm rockets are launched from improvsied tubes normally. They've made some pretty creative stuff.

S/F...Ken M

160mm are for IED's, they're too big to move.

122mm rockets are launched from improvsied tubes normally. They've made some pretty creative stuff.

S/F...Ken M

It looks exactly like the ones Iran taught Hezbollah to make and use against the Israeli and SLA-occupied buffer zone in Southern Lebanon.

If 160mm mortars are to heavy to move then what about the 23mm gun, wouldn't that be to heavy to move around too?
Hey friend, I just shoot 'em, I never asked about why they did Stupid Shit, I just said "thank you" :) . The 23mm was put into the back of a truck, it was not successfully employed.

It looks exactly like the ones Iran taught Hezbollah to make and use against the Israeli and SLA-occupied buffer zone in Southern Lebanon.

You don't say. What an incredible coincidence ;) S/F....Ken M

Hey friend, I just shoot 'em, I never asked about why they did Stupid Shit, I just said "thank you" :) . The 23mm was put into the back of a truck, it was not successfully employed.

You don't say. What an incredible coincidence ;) S/F....Ken M

When you say it was not successfully employed do you mean you blew it up before they could use it to fire on you or that they tried to mount it on a truck but it was too heavy for the bed of the pick-up truck and thus was not able to be used at all?

When you say it was not successfully employed do you mean you blew it up before they could use it to fire on you or that they tried to mount it on a truck but it was too heavy for the bed of the pick-up truck and thus was not able to be used at all?

I mean we hit their house and Bad Things happened to them before they were able to employ the 23mm. That said, it didn't look like something I'd be willing to fire. S/F...Ken M

A 122mm rocket warhead is about twice the size of a 120mm mortar round - 45 to 65lbs (depending on the make/model) vs. about 30lbs for a mortar round and it has about 3 times the range.

However, at least in my expirience, the bad guys were able to employ mortars with more accuracy than various rockets, which made them more dangerous. Might not be the case in Iraq or Afghanistan thou.

Of course if either one actually hits you, you probably won't be able to tell the difference ;)

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ceb_1174917239

I must say, Ive never heard of a mortar being fired like this. Is it an improvisation?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4cb_1174860833

Around 2:08, a rocket is being launched through a hole in a wall.

Around 3:40, an RCL is being fired. Can anyone tell the model?

Around 6:30, they're firing converted AtG rockets.

Around 7:01, a guy fires a machine-gun burst only to hit a wall in front of him, probably injuring himself with ricochettes.

Nice video, really higfhlights this particular cell's tactics (or lack of thereof), though it probably wasn't shot in actual combat.

Edited by Yish

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ceb_1174917239

I must say, Ive never heard of a mortar being fired like this. Is it an improvisation?

Standard towed 12cm mortar. Can't see anything special about it except that I can't make out if they are using a sighting apparatus or not. Also properly surveying a position in terrain like that is nearly impossible. However there are other ways of aiming if you don't mind a side error of a 100-150m.

They are also p%ssies for using such a long cord. :P

undefined

Picture 24 is how it's supposed to be. No fun if you can't feel the shockwave. :lol:

To me that seems typical way to fire heavy mortar. Light mortars are fired just by dropping ammo to the tube but heavy mortars use that cord.

It depends. Also heavy mortairs can be launched like light mortairs. For example Tampella's 120 KRH 92 can be launced either way: with moving firing pin when gun commander launces mortar by pulling a cord attachet to pin mechanism or with fixed firing pin when loader just drops ammo to tube on top of fixed pin.

It depends. Also heavy mortairs can be launched like light mortairs. For example Tampella's 120 KRH 92 can be launced either way: with moving firing pin when gun commander launces mortar by pulling a cord attachet to pin mechanism or with fixed firing pin when loader just drops ammo to tube on top of fixed pin.

Correct. However I've never heard anybody doing it that way, I would assume due to the added accuracy penalties. At typical ranges you could rather quickly have an added 10-15 meters error for very little gain in time.

Correct. However I've never heard anybody doing it that way, I would assume due to the added accuracy penalties. At typical ranges you could rather quickly have an added 10-15 meters error for very little gain in time.

True. Also peacetime safety regulations usually says that you have to launch with a cord. Also in case of war people tend to do as they practice.

Edited by CV9030FIN