ROAD divisions

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 1:42 PM, FLOZi said:

Sorry for the epic bump here (especially if I am violating any forum etiquette), but this thread is full of excellent information I was looking for (thank you) and I had a specific question about ROAD companies.

In the anti-tank section of of a mechanized companies weapon's platoon, were the M40's mounted on jeeps or on M113?

FM 7-11 (62) ( http://www.survivalebooks.com/free manuals/1962 US Army Vietnam War Rifle Company, Infantry, Airborne Infantry 269p.pdf page 8 ) discusses the fact that the 81mm mortars in the weapon's platoon were were in full track mortar carriers (presumably M125) for a mechanized company, but makes no mention of the anti-tank section, implying they are mounted in 1/4ton trucks the same as in an infantry company?

I appreciate that this might differ 'on paper' vs 'in practice' and over time, too.

Up until the 1970s, the RR sections of abn, inf, and mech units were jeep mounted (sometimes the only M38A1Cs in a M151 jeep division.  During the 1970s, they mech units began getting the M113 mounted RR.

9 hours ago, Richard Lindquist said:

Up until the 1970s, the RR sections of abn, inf, and mech units were jeep mounted (sometimes the only M38A1Cs in a M151 jeep division.  During the 1970s, they mech units began getting the M113 mounted RR.

Glad to see you posting again with your usual excellent information good sir!

16 hours ago, Richard Lindquist said:

Superbly precise information, thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 12:21 AM, Richard Lindquist said:

Interesting parallel there with the Italian Army.  They installed the RRs on the AR59 jeeps (which, including crew, ammo, etc. placed them above their design max wt.).  When the army transitioned to the arguably more feeble AR76 jeep series, they retained the old 59s, in motorised infantry, just for the M40 RRs.  This lasted through the cold war...