• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Imam Hashim Raza leads mourners in prayer during a funeral for Mohsin Naqvi at al-Fatima Islamic Center in Colonie, N.Y., Monday, Sept. 22, 2008. Naqvi was a Muslim, a native of Pakistan (he emigrated to the U.S. with his family when he was 8 years old and became a citizen at 16) and a U.S. Army officer. He was killed by a roadside bomb while on patrol in Afghanistan. (AP Photo/Mike Groll)

A U.S. Marine, from the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit, has a close call after Taliban fighters opened fire near Garmser in Helmand Province of Afghanistan May 18, 2008. The Marine was not injured. (REUTERS/Goran Tomasevic) #

Edited by Paul in Saudi

A U.S. Marine, from the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit, has a close call after Taliban fighters opened fire near Garmser in Helmand Province of Afghanistan May 18, 2008. The Marine was not injured. (REUTERS/Goran Tomasevic) #

In contact without his helmet and body armor (there's another uncovered gourd in the background)? Where do the reamings start? Lessee, fire-team leader, squad leader, platoon sergeant, platoon leader...I think (hope)that this Marine has learned his lesson--very cheaply, in the long run.

Edited by shep854

• 3 weeks later...

Did you pick up the 12 January Sports Illustrated? (The one with Philadelphia on the cover.)

Right before the table of contents they have an air photo of the Nittny Lion playing USA at State College. There is a B-2 bomber flying over the stadium and seen from above. Most excellent.

But I cannot find it on the Net. Bummer.

Did you pick up the 12 January Sports Illustrated? (The one with Philadelphia on the cover.)

Right before the table of contents they have an air photo of the Nittny Lion playing USA at State College. There is a B-2 bomber flying over the stadium and seen from above. Most excellent.

But I cannot find it on the Net. Bummer.

I happened to be near a TV covering the parade when the B-2 flew by. You're right; the view from above (a blimp camera) was impressive.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Imam Hashim Raza leads mourners in prayer during a funeral for Mohsin Naqvi at al-Fatima Islamic Center in Colonie, N.Y., Monday, Sept. 22, 2008. Naqvi was a Muslim, a native of Pakistan (he emigrated to the U.S. with his family when he was 8 years old and became a citizen at 16) and a U.S. Army officer. He was killed by a roadside bomb while on patrol in Afghanistan. (AP Photo/Mike Groll)

Someone should send that to the guy in Kentucky with the bumper-stickers.

Shot

• 4 weeks later...

I know that every solder should be ably to work as an infantry man but I think that this goes bit too far...

"Brig. Gen. John Nicholson, the deputy commander of NATO forces in southern Afghanistan, held a position during the Taliban ambush." Photo: Lynsey Addario for The New York Times

I know that every solder should be ably to work as an infantry man but I think that this goes bit too far...

That reminds me of the "Willy and Joe" cartoon of a dogface (from his foxhole) asking a general (standing in full view of the enemy) to inspire the troops somewhere else. :P

• 5 weeks later...
From here, a Soviet boneyard in Afghanistan.

After a few weeks in Afghanistan you'll think you could live several lifetimes without ever seeing another derelict BTR, BRDM, BMP1 or T55/62.

They make river rafts out of hulls, speed-humps from tracks and my personal favourite, Afghan telecom using a BRDM by the roadside as a billboard. You name it they'll turn a tank into it.

Don't they have value as scrap? Why hasn't someone melted them down?

Who they gonna sell them to, and how are they gonna pick them up?

You probably had a brief window of opportunity in the mid 00's but thats about it. Not worth the effort for now.

It is not what it looks like. The girl is part of a troupe of dancers hired for Barbara Bush's 84th (!) birthday party at the place in Maine. Still they both seem to be having a good time. (Please note his socks.)

Linky

Edited by Paul in Qatar

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...