• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/9/2021 at 4:47 PM, Adam Peter said:

Can an SR-71 spy like this?

In this interview, one of the F-14 pilots who flew in "The Final Countdown"  tells how he flew close enough to the B-25 camera plane for the cameraman in the tail position to touch the Tomcat's refuelling probe with his foot! (9:45)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some take-offs and landings during a road base exercise. There doesn't seem to have been any work done on the aircrafts while on the ground. At the end we get a glimpse of some, presumably not so happy, motorists that got stuck while the exercise lasted.

On 6/23/2021 at 11:26 AM, Adam Peter said:

I was wondering about the first two landing attempts; I thought that surely he was clowning around...as best I could understand, he really did have problems figuring the plane out.

3 hours ago, shep854 said:

I was wondering about the first two landing attempts; I thought that surely he was clowning around...as best I could understand, he really did have problems figuring the plane out.

In the discussion they mention that very hard to land the plane because the ground clearance of the airscrew is very small, and longitudinal stability is bad.

8 hours ago, Adam Peter said:

In the discussion they mention that very hard to land the plane because the ground clearance of the airscrew is very small, and longitudinal stability is bad.

Yes it was short coupled but the ground clearance for the prop was greater than for example on a Spitfire. Maybe not physically but the attitude (degrees from the horizontal) was lower in the Spitfire.

• 1 month later...