Soviet Army Order of Battle 1988

Gentlemen,

Since I am having trouble either attaching the file or establishing a file off-forum and posting a ink here, I have asked two individuals to do it, so it will be posted here, eventually.

The files are all in Adobe Acrobat format.

Main file is the GSFG file, with an accompanying Notes file

I have also created a Cover file and have begun an Introduction File (so far only the Table of Contents)

There will be at least one follow-up version, mainly because to fill it out and correct any spelling errors I have made.

Regards,

konev

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good God man, you put that together in a mere five weeks or so? :blink:

I have a list with corrections to location names forthcoming. In fact I was almost finished when after a couple hours between the PDF, Google Earth and googling for names on the net with my PC slowly losing its breath, I once more managed to type a query into the Google taskbar in my reply screen window. <_< Fortunately I had saved most of the post into Open Office shortly before. Will finish and post later.

What's OSNAZ, BTW?

Here's the list of location name corrections. A bunch of names seemed to be transscriptions of their English pronounciation, but I was able to reverse-transscribe a couple and verify a lot more on Google Earth (good thing indeed you gave coordinates).

- Zossen has no umlaut "ö". Wünsdorf (Group HQ) however is correct.

- Stahnsdorf (20th Independent Flamethrower Battalion) is missing an "h" between the a and n.

- Altengrabow (303rd Guards Cannon Artillery Brigade) has an excess "r" in between the e and n.

- Bischofswerda (SS-12B regiment) is missing a "c" in between the s and h.

- Same with Oschatz (175th Missile Brigade).

- Rehagen (814th Independent AA Missile Regiment) OTOH has an excess "c" between the e and h.

- Jena-"Ferst" (SS-23 Missile Brigade) is really Jena-Forst.

- "Drakkauzen" (164th Missile Brigade) is probably Drachhausen.

- Vogelsang (1158th Independent AA Missile Regiment) is written with an "s" rather than a "z".

- "Literstadt-Wittenburg" (27th Pontoon Bridge Regiment) is actually funny. It is really Lutherstadt Wittenberg, an official reference to Wittenberg as the workplace of Martin Luther, whom the East German government tried to fit into their selective national history. Your source makes it sound like it's a town notorious for consuming quite a few liters (of whatever). :lol: Also spelled almost correctly, but with an "h" missing from "Lutherstadt", for the 55th Guards Tank Regiment, and just called "Lutherstadt" for the 106th Independent Radio EW Battalion.

- The 721st Landing Crossing Battalion was probably not based in the Ruhr area city of Essen, but rather the East German town of Jessen. ;)

- It's Frankfurt an der Oder, not -am-Oder (6th Signals Brigade VGK).

- "Troienbritzen" (197th Independent Signals Regiment) is most likely Treuenbrietzen.

- Wittstock (40th Radio-Technical Brigade) is missing another "c" before the k.

- "Shenwalde" is probably Schönwalde.

- Kietz (465th Independent Chemical Defense Battalion) is missing an "e" between i and t.

- "Kummersdorfbut" (64th Automobile Brigade) is likely Kummersdorf-Gut (former seat of the Wehrmacht's Heereswaffenamt).

- "Kirkmeze" (120th Armor Repair Plant) is Kirchmöser.

- Werder (556th Repair Plant) is written with a "W", not "V".

- "Frankendelds" (113 Reapir [sic] Plant for Signals) is Frankenfelde.

- Klötze (6th Independent Helicopter Squadron) has an umlaut "ö".

- Meissen (303rd Independent Repair-Construction Battalion) is written with an "e", not an "a" (famous for its porcellain).

- Glauchau (95th Tank Regiment) is written with "au", not "ou".

- Gentzrode (112th Guards Missile Brigade) is missing an "e" at the end.

- "Schwainrick" (209th Cannon Artillery Brigade) is probably Schweinrich.

- Stendal (250th Independent Radio-Technical Regiment) has an excess "h" between the a and l.

- Ravensbrück is missing its umlaut in one instance (527 Spetsnaz Company).

- Ludwigslust (240th Motorized Rifle Regiment) OTOH is written without an umlaut "ü".

- The only Kochstadt I've found is in Bavaria. 670th Guards Self-Propelled Artillery Regiment was more likely based in Kachstedt.

- "Shenebek" (248th Guards Motorized Rifle Regiment) is likely Schönebeck.

- Rudolstadt (113th Independent Reconnaissance and Radio EW Battalion) is another one with no umlaut "ü".

- Berlin-Karlshorst (6th Motorized Rifle Brigade) is missing an "s" between the l and h.

- Strike hyphen from "Altes Lager" (387th Guards Cannon Artillery Brigade).

- Fürstenwalde (464th Missile Brigade) has an excess "n" between the r and s.

- "Neudenbritz" (264th Separate Radio-Technical Regiment) might possibly be Neu Döberitz; at least that's what Google suggests, as the other name doesn't seem to exist.

- "Bisentahl" (43rd Target and Reconnaissance Battalion) is really Biesenthal.

- I'm a little confused on "Prenslau" (793rd Spetsnaz Company) vs. „Prenzlau“ (175th Tank Regiment); the latter is a burrough of Berlin while the former appears to be a county in the state of Brandenburg. However, I don't think there were any major Soviet bases right in what amounts to downtown Berlin.

- Schönewalde (843rd Self-Propelled Artillery Regiment) is missing another „c“ between the S and h.

- Olympisches Dorf (59th Independent Reconnaissance and Radio EW Battalion) OTOH is missing an „s“ before the ch.

- Just one „t“ in Potsdam (18th Independent Engineer-Sapper Battalion), please.

- Elstal (283rd Guards Self-Propelled Artillery Regiment) has an excess „h“ between the a and l.

- „Shenev“ (288th Guards AA Missile Regiment) is really Schönow.

Well, you asked for it. :D

Edited by BansheeOne

Banshee,

I think (and do not quote me) also stands for "special purpose", but to different them from the SPETSNAZ units (which were controlled by the GRU) the OSNAZ units were controlled by Army command.

konev

Maybe it's KGB PGU "Vympel" dettachment? I have heard such a dettachment was stationed at East Germany, targets: main HQ of different ATAF and NORTHAG/CENTAG components.

Konev, awesome work, I have detailled information on Army Aviation (well maybe such time it was yet Frontal Aviation) helicopter units at 16VA/GSFG, including specific break up of regimental and some squadron units. This is useful for you?

Seems like Pat was faster than me!...

Pit,

That would be great!

There's no hurry on it. As you can see from the Table of Contents, I'm working on the Land Forces units first, then start on the Air Forces.

If you can breakdown the Helicopter Regiments and the Air Force Regiments, that is what I am looking for. I already have them, just not their composition.

Don't forget, if you have details on the quantities of aircraft in each unit, make sure its from 1988. The most well-known book from A.G. Lenskii is data from 1990, so that is why I haven't generally included weapons quantities.

konev

Konev; I am in your debt Sir :)

This is great work, I'm very impressed!

Does anyone have reliable information on equipment that we could incorporate? I'm talking about the detail level of what tank-model a particular division had etc. Anyone else interested in that information, and more importantly: does anyone here posses it?

/Ratbag

Jakec,

Correct. The Independent Tank Regiment were the exploitation force for the Army (in the offense) and the reserve (in the defense) while the Tank Training Regiments (their were other types through the Army as well) provided the next nevel of training offor personnel arriving from the USSR as replacements.

Some had already either withdraw or were disbanded by 1988.

konev

Konev:

1988.... :blink: ...mmm...difficult for such an exact timeframe, anyway this is what I have:

178 OVP at Borstel (Stendal)

16 Mi-24V

12 Mi-24P

14 Mi-8MT/MTV

2 Mi-9

440 OVP at Borstel (Stenda)

21 Mi-24D

10 Mi-24V

4 Mi-24RCh

5 Mi-24K

? Mi-8TB

292 OVEREB at Koschdesdt (spelling?)

6 Mi-8PPA

6 Mi-8SMV

1 Mi-8T

2 Mi-9

172 OVP at Parchim

25 Mi-24V

12 Mi-24P

13 Mi-8TB

8 Mi-8MT

439 OVP at Parchim

16 Mi-24V

4 Mi-24RCh

6 Mi-24K

12 Mi-8TB

5 Mi-8MT

298 OVE at Hassleben

8 Mi-2T

2 Mi-6VKP

3 Mi-8T

2 Mi-24RCh

2 Mi-24K

6 OVE at Dresde

1 Mi-6VKP

1 Mi-22

3 Mi-8T

1 Mi-8TB

2 Mi-8PPA

2 Mi-24RCh

2 Mi-24K

337 OVP at Mahlwinkel

20 Mi-24V

19 Mi-24P

7 Mi-8TB

4 Mi-8MT

8 Mi-8MTV

296 OVE at Mahlwinkel

2 Mi-6VKP

2 Mi-8PPA

1 Mi-9

1 Mi-24RCh

2 Mi-24K

485 OVP at Merseburg

24 Mi-24V

6 Mi-24RCh

6 Mi-24K

17 Mi-8TB

6 Mi-8MT

6 Mi-8VKP

5 Mi-9

9 OVE at Neuruppin

1 Mi-6VKP

1 Mi-22

2 Mi-8T

? Mi-8TB

4 Mi-8PPA

1 Mi-9

2 Mi-24RCh

2 Mi-24K

336 OVP at Weimar

32 Mi-24V

8 Mi-24P

21 Mi-8TB

239 OGvVP at Oranienburg

26 Mi-6A

1 Mi-8

12 Mi-8MT

25 Mi-8MTV

113 OVE at Sperenberg

1 Mi-6VKP

1 Mi-22

1 Mi-8K

10 Mi-8MTV

3 Mi-24RCh

487 OVP at Werneuchen

17 Mi-24V

4 Mi-24RCh

4 Mi-24K

5 Mi-8MT

11 Mi-8MTV

4 Mi-9

41 OVE at Werneuchen

5 Mi-2T

1 Mi-6VKP

1 Mi-22

3 Mi-8T

2 Mi-24RCh

2 Mi-24K

I don't have info for:

225 OVP (Allstedt)

486 OVP (Altes-Lager)

My info seems to be 1989-1992...not sure...

Aircrafts are a lot easy, much have been wrote on different books about re-equipment of some regiments, so at such point...easy picking.

Pit,

I just looking over what I have for the 1990.

It looks like your data is from 1989. Some of the more modern variants are weaker in yours thatn in the 1990 totla swhile some of the older variants are stronger or present while the 1990 data has them weaker or gone.

I would grade this information as probable, but until we can confirm equipment types and quantities, that is probably the best we can do.

BTW, a couple of years ago, the Russian government instituted a policy of access to military archival documents. All documents retain their security classification for 75 years at the minimum, then it will be reviewed. Therefore, anything from 1988 we will have to wait until the year 2063 to have a chance to see anything.

konev

Jakec,

Correct. The Independent Tank Regiment were the exploitation force for the Army (in the offense) and the reserve (in the defense) while the Tank Training Regiments (their were other types through the Army as well) provided the next nevel of training offor personnel arriving from the USSR as replacements.

Some had already either withdraw or were disbanded by 1988.

konev

Do you have details of them (designations, tanks?) for before withdrawal?

BansheeOne,

ok, I just checked on the Internet and here goes:

HQ, GSOFG was established in Easter Berlin in June 1945. It reained there until late 1952 when it moved to the town of Wünsdorf, in the southern portion of the town locally know as Wündorf-Süd. In 1953, the former German bunker complexes north of the town (during WW2 know as Maybach-I, Maybach-II and Zeppelin) had completed there re-furbishing for Soviet ownership. These bunker complexes were what in the West was known as "Zossen-Wünsdorf" (mainly because there were halfway between the two towns and its associated airfield (northeast of the complex) was also known as Zossen-Wünsdorf.

On 6 December 1993, the Soviets shut down the bunker complexes, preferrring to work out of the city garrison.

On 9 September 1994, HQ, Western Group of Forces turned over the garrison in Wünsdorf to the Germans, being the last Soviet military unit to leave Germany.

In 1995, the bunker complex was opened as a museum, but in 1997, the entire area where the bunker complex was located was renamed Wünsdorf-Waldstadt.

Since we are dealing with 1988, I would prefer to call the location Wünsdorf and teh wartime location as Zossen-Wünsdorf bunker complex.

Fair enough?

konev

BansheeOne,

ok, I just checked on the Internet and here goes:

HQ, GSOFG was established in Easter Berlin in June 1945. It reained there until late 1952 when it moved to the town of Wünsdorf, in the southern portion of the town locally know as Wündorf-Süd. In 1953, the former German bunker complexes north of the town (during WW2 know as Maybach-I, Maybach-II and Zeppelin) had completed there re-furbishing for Soviet ownership. These bunker complexes were what in the West was known as "Zossen-Wünsdorf" (mainly because there were halfway between the two towns and its associated airfield (northeast of the complex) was also known as Zossen-Wünsdorf.

On 6 December 1993, the Soviets shut down the bunker complexes, preferrring to work out of the city garrison.

On 9 September 1994, HQ, Western Group of Forces turned over the garrison in Wünsdorf to the Germans, being the last Soviet military unit to leave Germany.

In 1995, the bunker complex was opened as a museum, but in 1997, the entire area where the bunker complex was located was renamed Wünsdorf-Waldstadt.

Since we are dealing with 1988, I would prefer to call the location Wünsdorf and teh wartime location as Zossen-Wünsdorf bunker complex.

Fair enough?

Uh, I fear in my drive for grammatical pedanticism I messed up what I was trying to say. All I really wanted to convey is that "Zossen" is written without an umlaut "ö", weil "Wünsdorf" is correct with an umlaut "ü", so "Zossen-Wünsdorf" it is. But thanks for the additional info anyway. :)

Jakec,

No I do not. They only information I have is from either 1988 (which I am organizing now) or 1990.

konev

Hello,

According to my data each army in Western Group had 1-2 Separate Tank Regiments. It was as follows :

2 Tank Army : 138 Separate Tank Regiment : Primerwalde (unit no 57044) , moved to Wustrow

221 Separate Tank Regiment : Ludwigslust (93273) - one bn in Hagenow

1 Tank Army : 47 Separate Tank Regiment : Plauen (93259)

101 Separate Training Tank Regiment : Dresden

3 Army : 115 Separate Tank Regiment : Quedlinburg-Quarmbeck (59210)

145 Separate Tank Regiment : Gardelegen (55550) one bn in Stendal

8 Army : 119 Separate Tank Regiment : Bad Langensalza

20 Army : 58 Separate Tank Regiment : Bernau

Standard composition : 3 Tank Bns (45 tanks T-64 each) , 1 MechInf Bat (3 Comp x 9 BMP-1 each), Signal Co, Supply Co,AA battery,Transport Co,Engineer Plt,Miantenance Plt,Recc Plt

All of them was withdrawn in late eighties.

Additionally there were some Separate Training Tank Regiments :

101 Separate Training Tank Regiment : Krampnitz or Dresden

77 Separate Training Tank Regiment : Altes Lager

97 Separate Training Tank Regiment : Altengrabow

118 Separate Training Tank Regiment : Cottbus (withdrawn in 1979)

41 Separate Training Tank Regiment : Forst-Zinna

Another interesting matter is that up to the beginning of seventies in East Germany was stationed 5 Tank Brigade - HQ in Gustrow , with bns in Gustrow, Wustrow and Garz. Totally it was 176 tanks in 5 battalions plus one mechinf bat.

regards

Misho

Banshee,

Thanks for the list. It will go into version 3.0.1

Actually, given the delay I had, it was about two weeks. I will try to get the Northern Group of Forces done by Sunday.

konev

Hello again,

Few changes according to ma infos :

SPECNAZ Brigade had number 3 and was located in Neuthymen close to Ravensbruck

82 Special Purpose Brigade was really 82 Radiotechnical Brigade OSNAZ (Osobowo Naznaczienija - Special Purpose) and had HQ in Torgau

For 101 Separate Training Tank Regiment I had location Krampnitz and Dresden (later)

12 Anti-Tank Artillery Brigade had no 112

Missile Brigade in Konigsbruck had no 119

Missile Regiment in Bischofswerda was really battalion in 119 Brigade Konigsbruck

Probably the same was with MR Wokuhl ( battalion in MBr Waren) and MR Weissenfels (battalion in MBr Jena-Forst)

7 Pipeline brigade had no 75 and was located in Furstenwalde

6 Signal Brigade consisted of :

- 897 Signal Battalion : Frankfurt

- 480 Signal Battalion : Frankfurt

- 719 Signal Battalion (Tropospheric) : Chemnitz

- 382 Signal Battalion (Radio-relay) : Leipzig

- 579 Signal Battalion (Radio) : Leipzig

197 Signal Regiment was in Wunsdorf

31 Signal Regiment was a training unit stationed in Werden

71 Radioelectronic Warfare Regiment was in Frankfurt

65 Automobile Brigade was in Fursetnwalde

21 Road Command Battalion was in Kummersdorf

511 Repair Plant : Mogelln

43 Repair Plant : Bernau

53 Repair Plant : Zossen

additionally there were 458 Railway Battalion : Annaburg , 74 Training Motorized Rifle Regiment : Krampnitz , 214 Training Artillery Regiment : Potsdam

REMARK : in each army there was independent Chemical Reconnaisance Battalion (not target & Reco as it is written in the material)

1 ARMY :

432 Missile Brigade : Wurzen

181 Missile Brigade : Kochstadt ( town close to Dessau)

51 Radiotechnical Battalion : Dresden

595 Chemical Reconnaisance Battalion (not target & reco) : Chemnitz

9 Tank Div :

23 Tank Rgt was in Zeithain before it was reorgenized to 1321 MRR in Juterbog

68 Rep Bat : Zeithain

112 Chem Bat : Riesa

200 Med Bat : Riesa

1071 MatSup Bat : Oschatz

11 Tank Div

61 Rep Bat : Dresden-Klotsche

528 Chem Co : Dresden

189 Med Bat : Hellerau

1073 MatSup Bat : Konigsbruck

20 MR Div :

153 Chem Bat : Grimma

39 Rep Bat : Leipzig-Taucha

347 Med Bat : Grimma

1124 MatSup Bat : Wurzen

2 ARMY

1185 AirAslt Bat : Ravensbruck

908 REW Bat : Wulkow

836 Radio Bat : Gentzrode

16 Tank Div

59 Rep Bat , 541 Chem Bat,192 Med Bat , 1075 MatSup Bat : all in Neustrelitz

21 MR Div

158 Chem Bat,44 Med Bat, 1125 MatSup Bat : all in Perleberg

94 MR Div :

230 Chem Co,52 Rep Bat,90 Med Bat , 1130 MatSup Bat : all in Schwerin

207 MR Div:

102 Chem Bat,255 Med Bat,1131 MatSup Bat : all in Stendal

46 Rep Bat : Gardelegen

3 ARMY :

899 AirAsslt Bat : Burg

298 Rep Bat and 302 Rep Bat : Schonebeck

7 Tank Div :

4 Rec Bat : Quedlinburg-Quarmbeck

146 Sig Bat,121 Eng Bat,58 Rep Bat,183 MatSup Bat , Chem co : all in Rosllau

186 Med Bat : Dessau

10 Tank Div :

60 Rep Bat,127 Cehm Bat, 188 Med Bat, 1072 MatSup Bat : all in Altengrabow

12 Tank Div :

19 Rec Bat : Mahlwinkel

136 Eng Bat,64 Rep Bat,208 Med Bat, Chem Co : Neuruppin

47 Tank Div :

245 MR Reg,99 Art Reg,332 Chem Co (?) : Mahlwinkel

7 Rec Bat,52 Eng Bat,65 Rep Bat,63 Med Bat,1077 MatSup Bat : all in Hillersleben

8 ARMY :

325 Eng Bat (Brig) : Gera

900 AirAsslt Bat : Leipzig-Schonau

446 Radio Bat : Naumburg

46 Radiot Bat : Nohra

173 Rep Bat : Markensdorf

202 Rep Bat : Oberlungwitz

27 MR Div

44 Rep Bat,367 Chem Bat , 21 Med Bat : all in Halle

1126 MatSup Bat : Teuzenthal (?)

39 MR Div

915 AA Reg : Ohrdruf

305 Chem Bat : Ohrdruf

57 MR Div :

51 Rep Bat,229 Chem co , 75 Med Bat,1129 MatSup Bat : all in Naumburg

79 Tank Div :

Chem Co,83 Med Bat ,66 Rep Bat : all in Jena

20 ARMY :

6 Mot Rifle Brigade was separate unit not subordinated to 20 A. It's role was struggle in West Berlin (together with many NVA Easy German units)

899 Air Asslt Bat : see 3 Army

154 AT Bat : Altes Lager

48 Radiot Bat : Eberswalde

1034 REW Bat,423 Radio Bat : Rudersdorf

25 Tank Div :

335 Tank Reg : Prenzlau (before 803 MR Reg from Drogen came to Vogelsang)

1702 AA Reg : Vogelsang

14 Rec Bat : Prenzlau

32 MR Div :

2497 AA Reg : Juterbog

107 Rec Bat,211 Sig Bat,148 Eng Bat,19 Rep Bat,636 Med Bat, 90 Mat Sup Bat : all in Juterbog

35 MR Div :

60 Med Bat : Olymp. Dorf

90 Tank Div :

288 AA Reg : Schonwalde

120 Chem Bat : Biesenthal

26 Med Bat, 1122 Mat Sup Bat : all in Bernau

I hope it helps , however not all data are confirmed and probably some of it is wrong.

regards

Misho

181 Missile Brigade : Kochstadt ( town close to Dessau)

[...]

1126 MatSup Bat : Teuzenthal (?)

Ah, with the reference to Dessau I found the nearby town of Kochstedt, so strike my suggestion of "Kachstedt" from my original list.

Don't find any Teuzenthal or similar name, though.

Misho,

Thanks for the information. When my Russian gets done with the SS-21 Brigades, I will ask him if he has any information on the Tank Regiments.

But I do see that two Regiments are on both lists, the 101st and the 118th. The 101st was assigned directly to GSFG as a Tank Training Regiment and the 118th was a Training Regiment assigned to the 20th Army.

For the 5th Tank Brigade, I never heard of. They way it was organized, could it have been the 6th GUards Motorized Rifle Brigade at Karlhorst? Although I don't have how it was organized, I think it was 3 Tank and 2 Motorized Rifle Battalions.

Also, did the 6th GUards MRB also take part in the guard duty rotation at Spandau Prison? About 1 Company each time?

Regards,

konev