• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it looks like they re-light all THREE engines and dialed back once they had the good thrust. Looks like Musk's "we were stupid" response to the question about lighting 3 vs 2 was taken to heart. 

Good show!

Sudden URD. 

I wonder if that was their range safety that pulled that or not. The extra flames post landing seemed to be something of an issue. And I'm sure the FAA is going to again be annoyed with SpaceX. 

I saw the flames and noticed they seemed to be spraying water, but thought it was maybe just something at the platform burning and went to sleep after few mins and missed the kaboom. Looked like rocket was also leaning just a bit? Well, first soft landing is still progress.

14 hours ago, sunday said:

Starship SN10 just managed to land on her tail, as God and Robert Heinlein intended!

Must instill confidence on the atronaut corps: "we made it, we are the first men in Mars!"... BOOOM!

Well, being eager to sit on top of several hundred tons of highly flammable, very noxius, and barely stable rocket fuel is a prerequisite for the astronaut job.

Edited by sunday

If watch closely, SN10 bounced on landing. I think it came down too hard or else had a landing leg failure of some kind that crumpled the bottom the ship, causing the lean and a major methane leak. The fire was the methane leak burning as it existed, and the explosion was probably a build of up unburnt methane under the skirt that ignited and ruptured any fuel remaining in the tank. But it was pretty close to a successful landing. SN11 I belive is already built and ready to be rolled out.

there's some excellent 4k closeup video of the landing legs not locking into place. There's evidence of an abnormal shutdown of the second of the three engines - hence the flames out the side before and after landing. 

Scott Manley provides good analysis as usual.