In Praise of the Chili-Cheese Dog

Jim Martin

I've eaten at some expensive restaurants, I've had some exquisitely-cooked meals, but honestly I have to say that frequently there is nothing I want more than a chili-cheese dog. I've found 7-11's to be the best--yep, crap food, but it's kind of the same thing as liking canned cranberry sauce better than homemade. Living in Illinois, there weren't any 7-11's near me, but having moved to Missouri, there's one just down the street! I did a quick google search the other day, and found one near work. I also discovered that they've expanded their selection of dogs...their cheddar bratwurst covered in their chili and cheese is fantastic! The Motomart near my office offers chili and cheese dogs as well, but I've found that their machine is nearly always out of whack, or they're out of dogs. The one time they had everything there, I found the experience to be....unsatisfying. Their chili was thin and gruelly, and the cheese just wasn't the right consistency either. I used to damn-near live on the things back when I lived in DC...the people who ran the local 7-11 knew me so well that they'd let me service the chili and cheese machine when it ran out. :P

Anyone else familiar with this culinary delight? :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup - make'em myself at least once every two weeks or so. Never bought them anywhere else. I use grilled bun-length all-beef dogs (Ballpark or Oscar Meyer brand), canned chili (Wolf brand, no beans). I put mustard on the bun, then insert the dog. I top with chili, chopped red onions, pickled jalapeño slices and grated sharp cheddar cheese. Then I microwave for another 30 seconds to melt the cheese. It's usually so wet that I have to eat it with a fork.

Served with dip-sized Fritos corn chips and a Kosher dill pickle (Claussen brand).

We've got a place that makes A1 Chilli Cheese Dogs here in Atlanta. I've been going there for about 2/3rds of my life. Skips over in Avondale. Boiled Dogs (Kosher vienna beef dogs) on a bun that's also been steamed just right to keep it warm and moist and chilli that doesn't overpower the dog. They also make a very tasty chicago dog with just about everything on it. I normally don't like a dog loaded up with all the options but theirs is just that good.

We've got a place that makes A1 Chilli Cheese Dogs here in Atlanta. I've been going there for about 2/3rds of my life. Skips over in Avondale. Boiled Dogs (Kosher vienna beef dogs) on a bun that's also been steamed just right to keep it warm and moist and chilli that doesn't overpower the dog. They also make a very tasty chicago dog with just about everything on it. I normally don't like a dog loaded up with all the options but theirs is just that good.

345186[/snapback]

Just got back from drill with the new unit: Went three times to a Italian beef place on Arlington Heights Road and Central. Had a loaded Chicago-style dog and home-made fries each time. Nothing beats a Chicago dog done right....

Though sloppy chili dogs are pretty much up there, too.

Just got back from drill with the new unit:  Went three times to a Italian beef place on Arlington Heights Road and Central.  Had a loaded Chicago-style dog and home-made fries each time.  Nothing beats a Chicago dog done right....

Though sloppy chili dogs are pretty much up there, too.

345348[/snapback]

Damn, you're right down the street from me(5-7miles). Portillo's? Or a local place? For dogs, you're have to come into the city and hit SuperDawg, corner of Milwaukee and Devon. It's the size of a Polish, served with these great pickled green tomatoes that I haven't seen anywhere else. S/F....Ken M

Damn, you're right down the street from me(5-7miles).  Portillo's?  Or a local place?  For dogs, you're have to come into the city and hit SuperDawg, corner of Milwaukee and Devon.  It's the size of a Polish, served with these great pickled green tomatoes that I haven't seen anywhere else.  S/F....Ken M

345377[/snapback]

It was a local place; can't recall the name to save my life. Run by Greeks. I live in Iowa, work in Bloomington/Normal and drill at Arlington Heights/Fort Sheridan, but my last drill is August 5-6 and it's at Cantigny. Family day.

Superdawg? I'll have to try it Saturday night.

Can't have them on a bun, but I have chili-cheese dogs a couple of times a month. Hebrew National hot dogs, Castleberry's coney sauce, Velveeta cheese and diced white onions. Guarenteed to make your tongue beat your brains out. ;)

There's a place about 20 miles away from me that does the best hot dogs I've had anywhere- the chili is mustard based, they won't let anything that has a tomato in it in the building.

If I'm doing hotdogs at home, it's Hebrew National all the way.

345591[/snapback]

You know, I have looked and looked for Hebrew National dogs at the local grocery stores, and I can't find them anywhere in this area. :(

You know, I have looked and looked for Hebrew National dogs at the local grocery stores, and I can't find them anywhere in this area. :(

345603[/snapback]

I find them at Wal-Mart all the time. Great semi-hidden nod to Judaism is the fact that they're sold in packs of 7.

BTW, Chili and Cheese only on my dog. Everything else ruins the experience.

Hebrew National was making a push into the Chicago market maybe a year-18 monthes ago. Not sure how well that went. Real tough competition from Vienna Beef.

I tend to smother them under so much stuff, it doesn't really matter too much past a certain quality level. I do grill my dogs after boiling, if at all possible, I prefer the taste.

Oh, regarding chili-cheese dogs. Try using Merkt's spread cheddar instead of hard cheese or that horrible yellow grease soft slop. I normally prefer Merkt's, then chili, some onions and a touch of celery salt. S/F....Ken M

Edited by EchoFiveMike

Guest Murph

So in other words a good chili cheese dog halloweth all causes? Love them, not supposed to eat them, but I love them.

I find them at Wal-Mart all the time. Great semi-hidden nod to Judaism is the fact that they're sold in packs of 7.

BTW, Chili and Cheese only on my dog. Everything else ruins the experience.

345638[/snapback]

Alas, in my new neighborhood the closest Wal-Mart is on the wrong side of town. Annoying, rude customers, annoying, rude staff. I prefer not to go there.

Alas, in my new neighborhood the closest Wal-Mart is on the wrong side of town.  Annoying, rude customers, annoying, rude staff.  I prefer not to go there.

346040[/snapback]

We're 25 miles from the nearest Wal-Mart. That doesn't stop us. :P Though the people at the one we go to aren't *that* rude, but the folks 'round here aren't that rude. We're not like people in New Orleans. ;)

We're 25 miles from the nearest Wal-Mart. That doesn't stop us. :P Though the people at the one we go to aren't *that* rude, but the folks 'round here aren't that rude. We're not like people in New Orleans. ;)

346079[/snapback]

I just don't like having to take the "Nubian Princess" attitude from the door greeter.... <_<

• 1 year later...

If anybody ever comes down to the Los Angeles area the best hot dogs are at Pinks they have been there since 1949 lines are long but the wait is worth it. The basic chili dog is boiled kosher dogs steamed bun mustard and onions. The dogs are so good

they pop in the first bite. Food of the gods indeed!!! Hell I think im gonna go there for dinner tonight you guys got me drooling for a chili dog.

Anyone else familiar with this culinary delight? :)

7-11 as well. College days. Lunch. Filling. Tasty. Yummy. :)

Haven't had a chili-cheese dog for years now. This thread made me hungry. :angry: ;)

D65D: I dunno if you still recall Smokeys over here. Their hotdogs are (were?) like that - they pop when you bite into them. All the juice released when its bitten. And the hotdog is larger than the bun, too. I dunno though if Smokeys has retained their quality since then as I haven't eaten a Smokeys hotdog for years already.

Edited by TomasCTT

For LA I love Tommy's Burgers, Nothing like it at 4AM. Chili-cheese fries and beer, God bless America. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy's

If you call up they can freeze a tub of original recipe chili and ship it to you by overnight express.

Edited by EvanDP

Coney Island Hot Dogs in Kalamazoo, MI had some pretty good ones. My wife made a version once when she still ate meat that I've never been able to properly reproduce. She did a Tex-mex inspired all beef home-made hot dog and used a homemade chili-queso to go on it with steamed mexican flatbread instead of a roll. It was simply beautiful. I've never been able to find a similar hot-dog and I've been too lazy to make hot-dogs from scratch. She has nasty respiratory reactions to raw beef and chicken, so she's never been able to reproduce the chili either. Not that her vegi chili isn't great but it's just not the same, dammit.

Matt