tanknet.org

Armor of Ukraine

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alejandro, I guess it is T-64B1. I doubt if any T-64A are still in service in Ukraine, and this is very fresh video. What was GPS of late T-64A, TPD-1K? Sight shield on last tank looks like that one from 1G42.

Early A models: TPD-2-1/TDP-2-49 coincidence range finder.

Late A models: TPD-K1 laser.

In 1981 commonality between T-64A and B was 95%.

A few years ago Ukraine was still using a few T-64A for vehicle training, but they should not be in frontline service anymore.

Edited by alejandro_

With the current Russian/Ukrainian troubles, I keep wondering what would become of Ukraine's ability to produce heavy armor, should Russia take Kharkiv (which admittedly seems very unlikely).

Are there facilities elsewhere in Ukraine capable of producing T-84's?

IIRC they lost optics supplier which is on Crimea.

it is not completely correct -

http://photopribor.ck.ua/en/products/

http://ipz.com.ua/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=51&Itemid=97

Produced in Izum and Chernigov.

Edited by Harkonnen

Lviv perhaps, or in Kiev itself.

The Ukroboronprom facility in Kiev looks like it might be able to do it, but seems like a stretch with the tools they display here:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kza.com.ua%2F&edit-text=&act=url

Another prospective site is the LuAZ auto works at Lutsk, which is set up to deal with larger volumes of materials but might require significant uptooling to assemble 40+ tonne products.

But I'm not finding any place in Ukraine outside of Kharkiv which seems capable of producing tanks of any sort right now. Surely I'm just not looking in the right places?

• 2 weeks later...

Hm, juddging by the size of hole in the road must have been 152mm,

Whose tanks/apcs? I guess Ukrainian, in which case where did separatists get arty?

Those are destroyed sep vehicles. Ukrainian army reported that they destroyed 1 tank and several IFV's when capturing Slavyansk and those destroyed vehicles seem to confirm that claim.

Edited by Yalmuk

russian blogger analyses this , guesses ambush with rpg-s?

google translate helps

He believes that carter was caused by T-64 explosion. You can see that one BMD tried to turn and leave the road, so maybe it was an ambush.

First pic looks a bit fishy, the numbers just do not look right, for me anyway, and where are the sandbags in the second one?

Sorry I try not to believe my eyes on the internet :)

First pic looks a bit fishy, the numbers just do not look right, for me anyway, and where are the sandbags in the second one?

Sorry I try not to believe my eyes on the internet :)

Looking at those pictures do raise some interesting questions indeed. Firstly, notice the BMD-2 closest to the camera is lacking its turret-mounted ATGM launcher. Now "friendly" infantry may have removed this but it is present in the "before" picture.

Secondly, there's something on the same BMD-2 which almost looks like a car registration plate towards the front of the vehicle under the drivers hatch position. This is lacking on the "before" picture as well although the vehicle number, general position and even the orientation of the turret/weapon are the same. Very strange indeed.

As for the sandbags, if any of these vehicles were still operational and had been recovered by either the Ukrainian forces or by the Sepratists themselves, they could have taken these to be used elsewhere; even as improvised armour such as what we've seen being used on the BTR's.

Agreed its always wise to show caution and not just jump on something because of one report or one picture.