Armor of Ukraine

Harkonnen

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, but if they would have been shot while live, there would be blood patch on the clothes, at least on one of them out of the three. I think the overcompression killed them, and they were removed from the tank after rigor mortis.

Nose wound seems to be T-64 trait: http://www.tank-net.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38893&p=1101164

They were certainly not pulled from the tank in the posture they're in after instant death. OTOH, I do think they may have been moved after rigor mortis set in; the slightly angled limbs are something you will often see in pictures taken after mass executions where the victims fell on top of or were piled onto each other, like the heaps of bodies from KZs. For example,the guy on the right looks like he was lying turned a little on his right side, possibly propped up by the body next to him or an object on the ground.

I don't see any gunshot wounds either, but if there were, any blood would flow down from a dead body, on their back if they fell that way. As BLAH said, entry wounds can be rather inconspicious - particularly with dark clothing - compared to the exploding fake blood bags we're used to from movies

Yes, but if they would have been shot while live, there would be blood patch on the clothes, at least on one of them out of the three. I think the overcompression killed them, and they were removed from the tank after rigor mortis.

Nose wound seems to be T-64 trait: http://www.tank-net.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38893&p=1101164

They were certainly not pulled from the tank in the posture they're in after instant death. OTOH, I do think they may have been moved after rigor mortis set in; the slightly angled limbs are something you will often see in pictures taken after mass executions where the victims fell on top of or were piled onto each other, like the heaps of bodies from KZs. For example,the guy on the right looks like he was lying turned a little on his right side, possibly propped up by the body next to him or an object on the ground.

I don't see any gunshot wounds either, but if there were, any blood would flow down from a dead body, on their back if they fell that way. As BLAH said, entry wounds can be rather inconspicious - particularly with dark clothing - compared to the exploding fake blood bags we're used to from movies

Still hardly evidence or even indication of evidence to suspect that they were executed. Could just as easily have been gunned down as they ran from the burning tank. Shooting a crew bailing out from their tank might be a bit unsporting but it isn't in the same ballpark as capturing them and then executing them, as Hark suggests.

Any preliminary thoughts on how the T-64s are holding up and working?

As far as I can tell, they seem to be working similar to the T-72AVs from Syria insofar as being able to take hits on the ERA and surviving. There's several (secondhand) reports of them taking 4 or so RPG hits and surviving, which is pretty good.

Are spare parts for the T-64's still being produced or are they kept in service by stripping parts from other tanks which are less serviceable?

The new T-64 variant looks pretty cool I must admit. Is it a vast improvement over the Bulat version?

Any veracity to this story (and can 30mm make it through a T-64?)?

Our guys went to the ground and thought “we’re screwed, the tank will get us”. But suddenly, an Ukrainian BTR rushes in. It starts to circle around the tank, hammering its turret with its main gun. The tank starts to turn around, trying to aim its turret at the BTR but it does not have enough speed and maneuverability. Then the tank tries to run away, but the BTR continues to shoot its turret at close distance until there is an explosion, which tears the turret off.

Sounds like something out of a Battlefield 4 fan fiction.

But isn't that one of the problems of basic military training of today?

Basic training has to include that you only have one live and the "computer games trained" recruits do all kind of stupid things.

But technically - isn't there a chance to penetrate the rear turret?,

or if the tank focus on the BTR, some RPG gunner might had a chance to hit the T-64.

(or a hidden Ukrainian T-64 at some distance)

Some myths are pure myths but often a missconseption of something that did hapend but not as undertood by the story teller.

Cheers

/John

Why shouldn't this be a possibility ? In ww2 you had French and Russian crews abandoning B1s, KV1s and T34s vs. 20mm fire . People without proper training and low on morale can quickly become disoriented and use the old "save qui peut" instead of maintaining composure and using their superiority.

I wouldn't be surprised that modern 30mm AP can penetrate turret rear or jam it. That the crew didn't pivot in place to help aiming and got outrun by a BTR it's down to poor training. Trying to run with a tank must be the dumbest decision of all, you're showing the weakest spot. From what I've read, you always have to back up facing the enemy.

I just forget what the 30mm autocannon's penetration is.

We all know 25mm APFSDS (DU) can do a T-72 from the flank and rear, and even a M1 from the rear (and tungsten can do Leopard 1 from the rear).

If it's enough, then I guess it's possible, especially when there's little tank numbers with the rebels (so his wingman didn't blast the BTR).

Naturally, that'd have to be the BTR-4. 14.5mm ain't going to do it. Unless "tank" in this case means a turreted IFV.

T-64B1M for the National Guard. No details on number or modifications. The tanks are likely to belong to contract signed with DR Congo, thus upgrade is minimal. New ERA at the front.

http://s29.postimg.org/yasvgf42f/Btflzj_SCQAAy_ep.jpg

I wonder why they are given to National Guard. Army Brigades have more experience and trained staff.