tanknet.org

All right -- I have completed a massive round of updating of the NATO 1989 OOB. Included in this update:

Overall, document is now about 20 pages longer than last update:

Vast rework of USAF assets

USMC air assets listed, some ground units updated

US Navy air assets + carrier assignments listed

UK, Greek, Turkish listings expanded, edited

Finland, Ireland, Switzerland added and/or updated

Minor updates to most other listings based on feedback, new research

Probably a lot more that I simply don't remember at this time.

The UK non-BAOR units remain a concern -- more info is in there, but accuracy problems persist. Any help with it would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, Norwegian OOB needs work, along with Finnish OOB, which is fairly skeletal.

I am also still looking for accurate non-divisional info on USMC ground units (artillery, air defense, tank, etc)

As of now, there is no section on Yugoslavia; that nation's military appears to have been transitioning from a division to brigade structure in 1988-89, and was heavily in flux. Any reasonably accurate information would be greatly appreciated.

This is a work in progress, and any additional information or comments would be greatly appreciated.

The full document can be found here:

NATO OOB New Version

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finland, Ireland, Switzerland and Yugoslavia have never been members of NATO!

309268[/snapback]

Picky, picky...

I am glad that someone is including them, I hate OOBs that just have what is easily found or what some compiler considers important. Having a full OOB for Europe, whether NATO or not, is very interesting.

Regarding 9ID (MTZ) obviously continual transition during the late 80s. I was a Inf Lt 86-89 in 9ID, in 1989 with Div G3.

During the MTZ phase 2-60 (my 1st/old BN), 3-47, 2-1 always constititued 3rd Bde. Even after 2nd Bde went out of business in early 1988 we were still 3rd Bde. Semantics perhaps but to be accurate.

During early spring of 89 39SIB (Seperate Inf Bde) of Arkansas NG was assigned to us as a roundout unit. I was G3 Training and did the Div CPX planning for integrating them into our OPLANS for Europe (LANDJUT). Flew the entire 39SIB staff out to Lewis for field (North Fort parade ground) CPX. I do not remember if we worked them in Korea OPLANS or not. Certainly (and primarily) for Europe. Straight leg Inf Bde as I recall J-series MTOE. In my observation pretty serious about the business and competent.

I don't recall the details at the moment but in the 1988-89 period 81st Bde (AR Wa NG) went back and forth as a I Corps vs 9Id asset. They played in all our Div CPX but primarily regarded as a Korea asset due to the huge difference in deployability vs the rest of the Div (including 39SIB). The idea being 9ID MTZ would fly into N Germany to reinf LANDJUT.

Regarding 9ID (MTZ)  obviously continual transition during the late 80s.  I was a Inf Lt 86-89 in 9ID, in 1989 with Div G3.

During the MTZ phase 2-60 (my 1st/old BN), 3-47, 2-1 always constititued 3rd Bde.  Even after 2nd Bde went out of business in early 1988 we were still 3rd Bde.  Semantics perhaps but to be accurate.

During early spring of 89 39SIB (Seperate Inf Bde) of Arkansas NG was assigned to us as a roundout unit.  I was G3 Training and did the Div CPX planning for integrating them into our OPLANS for Europe (LANDJUT).  Flew the entire 39SIB staff out to Lewis for field (North Fort parade ground) CPX.  I do not remember if we worked them in Korea OPLANS or not.  Certainly (and primarily) for Europe.  Straight leg Inf Bde as I recall J-series MTOE.  In my observation pretty serious about the business and competent.

I don't recall the details at the moment but in the 1988-89 period 81st Bde (AR Wa NG) went back and forth as a I Corps vs 9Id asset.  They played in all our Div CPX but primarily regarded as a Korea asset due to the huge difference in deployability vs the rest of the Div (including 39SIB).  The idea being 9ID MTZ would fly into N Germany to reinf LANDJUT.

309535[/snapback]

Thanks, Sill, great info. What was the battalion-level org for the division during this time? Was it still the mix of light and heavy attack and combined arms battalions? Was 1-33rd Armor still with you? What were divisional-level assets?

Sorry to badger you with so many questions, but you have to talk the opportunity to actually get info when you have the chance.

Thanks

Pat Callahan

Some notes on Spain:

The only M48 variant in service in 1989 was the M48A5E2 (AVDS17902C diesel engine, 105mm gun, passive night sights, Hughes Mk7 FCS with LRF, no stab)

RIMZ 10 only had 45 M47E2. No more vehicles were made!

BELHTRA V operated CH47C

BELHA I operated a mix of BO105LOH, BO105GSH (20mm gun) and 28 BO105ATH (with six HOT1/2 missiles)

Standar "light observation helicopter" was the BO105LOH, with the "medum transport" the UH-1H

Some notes on Spain:

The only M48 variant in service in 1989 was the M48A5E2 (AVDS17902C diesel engine, 105mm gun, passive night sights, Hughes Mk7 FCS with LRF, no stab)

RIMZ 10 only had 45 M47E2. No more vehicles were made!

BELHTRA V operated CH47C

BELHA I operated a mix of BO105LOH, BO105GSH (20mm gun) and 28 BO105ATH (with six HOT1/2 missiles)

Standar "light observation helicopter" was the BO105LOH, with the "medum transport" the UH-1H

309622[/snapback]

Thanks, great info.

I have several more questions, which you may or may not have any info on:

Do you have any details of armored trucks used by Spain in the motorized infantry battalions?

Any decent reference to the organization of the Mountain brigades and battalions?

I appreciate it,

Pat

Edited by PCallahan
Do you have any details of armored trucks used by Spain in the motorized infantry battalions?

309626[/snapback]

The only "armored truck" I know of since the retirement of the C15-TA in the 70s is the BMR600 APC which was indeed used by the motorized infantry battalions.

I might have a reference for Spanish mountain units at home - I'll check it out. It might be from an old wargame though, if that invalidates anything.

309727[/snapback]

It doesn't; many of the sources used are wargame-derived.

Thanks

Pat

All right -- I have completed a massive round of updating of the NATO 1989 OOB.  Included in this update:

Overall, document is now about 20 pages longer than last update:

Vast rework of USAF assets

USMC air assets listed, some ground units updated

US Navy air assets + carrier assignments listed

UK, Greek, Turkish listings expanded, edited

Finland, Ireland, Switzerland added and/or updated

Minor updates to most other listings based on feedback, new research

Probably a lot more that I simply don't remember at this time.

The UK non-BAOR units remain a concern -- more info is in there, but accuracy problems persist.  Any help with it would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, Norwegian OOB needs work, along with Finnish OOB, which is fairly skeletal. 

I am also still looking for accurate non-divisional info on USMC ground units (artillery, air defense, tank, etc)

As of now, there is no section on Yugoslavia; that nation's military appears to have been transitioning from a division to brigade structure in 1988-89, and was heavily in flux.  Any reasonably accurate information would be greatly appreciated.

This is a work in progress, and any additional information or comments would be greatly appreciated.

The full document can be found here:

NATO OOB New Version

309262[/snapback]

Hello,

49 Armoured battalion never existed with Leopards, I'am very interested were this come from.

58 Tankbattalion (reserve) Leopard 1V (disbanded 1.1.1994)

Netherlands never had Gepard SPAAG, but PRTL (different radar systems)

Nr.300 squadron, never at the Kooy (is a naval air station with Lynx helicopters)

N3.306 squaron, RF-16 is not an official designation. Just a recce pod underneath the centreline station

Each airbase (Volkel, De Peel, Leeuwarden, Gilze Rijen, Twente, Soesterberg, Eindhoven) had its own Hawk and 40L70 squadron. The one at Soesterberg was 221 Squadron.

The Neth.navy had also P-3C Orion and Lynx helicopters

PORTUGAL

Air force had G.91R3 and G.91R4

TURKEY

NOT F-4C Phantoms but F-4E Phantoms, only Spain operated the ''C'' model

Never had any G91 aircraft

Regards

PORTUGAL

Air force had G.91R3 and G.91R4

Also missing are the Portuguese AF Puma helicopters, a fair number of them are still in service with Sq 711 (Montijo) and 751 (Lajes)

Other Portuguese AC missing:

Reims-Cessna 337 Skymaster: Sq 502 (Sintra)

CASA C-212 100: Sq 401 (Sintra), 502 (Sintra), 711 (Lajes)

CASA C-212-300 (with radar nose): Sq 401 (Sintra)

Lockheed C-130H: Sq 501 (Montijo)

Lockheed P-3P Orion: All six operation in 1989 with Sq 601 (Montijo)

Plus the Spanish 22 Wing, based in 1989 at Jerez AB and equipped with five P-3B HW and three P-3A DELTIC Orions.

Spanish Marines operated M48A3E, the M60A3TTS was not delivered until 1993.

The only "armored truck" I know of since the retirement of the C15-TA in the 70s is the BMR600 APC which was indeed used by the motorized infantry battalions.

309651[/snapback]

Nope, motorized (or to be exact, motorisable, BIMT) battalions only had trucks. Battalions that had any kind of APC (M113 or BMR, BIMZ) were mecanised.

Nope, motorized (or to be exact, motorisable, BIMT) battalions only had trucks. Battalions that had any kind of APC (M113 or BMR, BIMZ) were mecanised.

309816[/snapback]

Ups! I messed "Mechanized" and "Motorized". So them it should be Pegaso 3045, 3046 and 3050 plus older M35 series from various makers......

[Edit]: I forgot to mention that besides the M47E2 in service with BRIMZ 10, all the remaining M47s were M47E1 (diesel engine, 90mm gun)

Edited by Gorka L. Martinez-Mezo
Hello,

49 Armoured battalion never existed with Leopards, I'am very interested were this come from.

58 Tankbattalion (reserve) Leopard 1V (disbanded 1.1.1994)

Regards

309808[/snapback]

Thanks for the feedback -- would the 58th have been assigned to the 13th Brigade or to one in the 5th Division?

Also, do you know where the 300 Squadron was stationed?

Thanks,

Pat

Revised Organisation - Hellenic Army

HELLENIC REPUBLIC

Note: Greece left NATO in 1974 due to dissatisfaction with the United States/ UK help on the Turkish invasion of Cyprus. Greece rejoined NATO on 20 October 1980.

Greek Army had one corps (Alpha, Beta and Gamma) against each WP countries, and reserve units. Worst enemy and most capable was considered the Bulgarian Army. After the Turkish Invasion on Cyprus, Greece created two more (Delta, ASDEN) Corps against Turkish Borders. Inf Divisions were in 30%, SF and Armor Divisions in 80% personnel with hole Regiments in cadre force.

Greece had 190,000 standing Army, with another 350,000 reserves. Men did 31 moths (36 for Reserve Officers) national service and considering Korea and Cyprus conflicts they were extremely good trained, though very bad equipped.

In 20/8/1974 General Mobilisation took 6 days with the first line Bns filled in 12 hours. My father (Tank Commander, Reserves Sergeant) went with his M-48A2C Bn from Athens to Thrace in 32 hours.

Notes On Greek Organization:

Infantry Division:

1) Armor Bn, Armor Recon Company

2) 2-4 Infantry Regiments {Motorised}

3) Divisional Artillery (4 FA Bns, 1 AA Bn)

4) AT Co, Signal Bn, Aviation Co, Engineer Bn, MP Co, Medical Bn, Maintenance Bn, Support & Supply Bn, Materials Bn

Armor Division:

1) 3 Armor Commands - Later Brigades

2) Division Artillery

After 1991 using West Germany and USA materials Greek Army became fully mechanised and the organisation has changed.

Hellenic Army

Overall Command: Hellenic Army General Staff - Athens

1.) 1st Army - Larisa

a.) 88 Infantry Brigade - Myrina [enhanced brigade securing Limnos Island]

b.) VIII Infantry Division - Ioannina [Albanian Border]

1.) VIII Infantry Division Field Arty - Ioannina

2.) 24 Infantry Regiment - Kalpaki

3.) 15 Infantry Regiment - Preveza

4.) 3/40 Infantry Regiment - Ioannina

c.) XX Armour Division - Thessaloniki [until 70s based in US WWII organisation, after 1973 Yom Kippur turned into Israeli Org - General Reserves Division, Until 1981 had 5 brigades]

1.) XX Armour Division Field Arty - Thessaloniki

2.) XXII armour brigade - Assiros [Created after 1965/74, not sure]

3.) XXIV armour brigade - Litochoro [Created after 1965/74, not sure]

d.) A Corps - Kozani [ Yugoslavian Border ]

1.) A Corps Field Arty – Kozani

2.) IX Infantry Division - Kozani

a.) IX Infantry Division Field Arty - Mavrodendri

b.) 1 Infantry Regiment - Florina

c.) 27 Infantry Regiment - Mavrodendri

d.) 28 Infantry Regiment - Amyntaio

3.) XV Infantry Division - Kastoria

a.) XV Infantry Division Field Arty - Argos Orestiko

b.) 51 Infantry Regiment - Grevena

c.) 53 Infantry Regiment - Kostarazi

d.) 90 Infantry Regiment - Argos Orestiko

e.) B Corps - Veroia [1st Army Reserve Corps - Securing Thessaloniki ]

1.) B Corps Field Arty – Varvares

2.) I Infantry Division - Giannitsa

a.) I Infantry Division Field Arty - Varvares

b.) 4 Infantry Regiment - Axioupolis

c.) 5/42 Infantry Regiment - Skydra

d.) 71 Infantry Brigade - Nea Santa

3.) VI Infantry Division - Kilkis

a.) VI Infantry Division Field Arty - Nea Santa

b.) 19 Infantry Regiment - Vyroneia

c.) 72 Infantry Regiment - Kilkis

4.) II Infantry Division - Edessa [Mechanised after 1991]

a.) II Infantry Division Field Arty - Assiros

b.) 33 Infantry Regiment - Polykastro

c.) 34 Infantry Regiment - Thessaloniki

f.) C Corps - Thessaloniki [ Bulgarian Border ]

1.) C Corps Field Arty – Thessaloniki

2.) X Infantry Division - Serres

a.) X Infantry Division Field Arty - Serres

b.) 16 Infantry Regiment - Nigrita

c.) 68 Infantry Regiment - Sidirokastro

3.) XI Infantry Division - Kavala

a.) XI Infantry Division Field Arty - Drama

b.) 65 Infantry Regiment - Drama

g.) D Corps - Xanthi [ Turkish Border, Created after 1974, until then General Military Command(Division) ]

1.) D Corps Field Arty – Xanthi

2.) 29 Infantry Regiment - Komotini [security Brigade against the 30,000 Muslims in Thrace]

3.) XII Infantry Division - Alexandroupolis

a.) XII Infantry Division Field Arty - Alexandroupolis

b.) 31 Infantry Regiment - Feres

c.) 7 Infantry Regiment - Lykofos

4.) XVI Infantry Division - Didymoteicho

a.) XVI Infantry Division Field Arty - Orestiada

b.) 3 Infantry Regiment - Orestiada

c.) 21 Infantry Regiment - Plati

d.) 30 Infantry Regiment - Koufovouno

e.) 37 Infantry Regiment - Lagos

5.) 50 Infantry Brigade - Soufli [until 1991 Regiment]

6.) XXI Armour Brigade – Komotini [until 1974 in 20th Armor Division]

7.) XXIII Armour Brigade – Alexandroupolis [until 1974 in 20th Armor Division]

8.) XXV Armour Brigade – Xanthi [until 1974 in 20th Armor Division]

h.) 1st Logistics Division - Lamia

1.) 6+ Logistics Brigades

2.) Factories, Recearch Centers, etc

i.) ? Reserve General Military Commands

Other units not under NATO command:

2.) High Mil Cnd Of Inter And Islands [ASDEN] - Athens [Aegean Island "National Guard" Corps , created after 1974 in response to the Turkish 4th "Training" Army]

1.) 79 Military Command – Samos [Enhanced Infantry Brigade]

2.) 80 Military Command – Kos [Enhanced Infantry Brigade]

3.) 84 Military Command – Ermoupolis [Reserves Command for the islands, Until 1980 one Marine Bn]

4.) 95 Military Command – Rhodos [Enhanced Infantry Division]

a.) ? Infantry Division Field Arty

b.) ? Infantry Regiment

c.) ? Infantry Regiment

5.) 96 Military Command - Khios [Enhanced Infantry Brigade]

6.) 98 Military Command - Mitilini [Enhanced Infantry Division]

a.) ? Infantry Division Field Arty

b.) ? Infantry Regiment

c.) ? Infantry Regiment

7.) 13 Amphibious Ranger Regiment - Athens [Created after 1974, before all units belonged in 1st Ranger Regiment]

d. Three Commando Battalions [special Operations Capable], special purpose platoons

3.) Athens Military Command - Athens [ Training and Homeland Command Corps ]

a.) IV Infantry Division (Training) - Tripolis

1.) 6 Infantry Division Field Arty - Korinthos

2.) 9 Infantry Regiment - Kalamata

3.) 1/38 Infantry Regiment – Messologi

d.) V Infantry Division (Half - Training) - Chania

1.) V Infantry Division Field Arty - Chania

2.) 14 Infantry Regiment - Chania

3.) 44 Infantry Regiment – Rethimno

c.) Training Academies, Centres etc

d.) III Infantry Division – Athens [special Forces Division, created 1970s disbanded 1984]

1.) 32 Marine Brigade – Volos [until 1984 Regiment - 3 Marine Bns]

a. Three Marine Battalions[special Operations Capable], Armor Company, Artillery Battalion, etc]

2.) 1 Ranger Regiment – Rentina [3 Special Operations Capable Battalions, special purpose platoons]

b. Three Commando Battalions [special Operations Capable], special purpose platoons

3.) 2 Parachutist Regiment – Aspropyrgos

c. 2 Parachute Battalions [special Operations Capable], Special Recon Battalion [strategic Recon-Strike], Reserve Bn.

4.) 13 Amphibious Ranger Regiment - Athens

d. Three Commando Battalions [special Operations Capable], special purpose platoons

5.) Reserve Commando Regiment, reserve bns.

4.) Hellenic Forces In Cyprus - Malouda/Cyprus

>>> Menelaos Division [corps sized, created in 1964, disbanded in 1971 under US pressure]

1.) Infantry Regiment [enhanced]

2.) Secret Units

5.) Reserve Forces: 100 National Guard Battalions

Edited by iloxos
Thanks for the feedback -- would the 58th have been assigned to the 13th Brigade or to one in the 5th Division?

Also, do you know where the 300 Squadron was stationed?

Thanks,

Pat

309973[/snapback]

Hello Pat,

I'am still busy scanning some books from that period and will come back with the things I found.

The question about 58th tkbat, I've asked it the army historical section because I can not find anything about it other that is was part of the Regiment Hussards Prince of Orange, but this is a tradiotionthing only. It was activated in 1989 for the exercise Free Lion. There exist several pictures of the Leopard 1Vs of this unit on railroadcars together with pot-bellied, long hippi hear conscripts which were activated for this exercise.

When I receive an answer I will let you know!

Regards,

Lesley

Circa 1989, US Army tank platoon TO&E: 4 tanks, No HMMWV, no HQ section per se.

Tank Company: HQ Sect of two tanks (CO, X0). 2x HMMWV, 1x M35 2 1/2 truck w/water trailer. No AVLB, no M88, no M113. The last three vehicles all belonged to HQ company. However, the M88 and M113 might be attached to the tank company as mission requirements dictated.

Tank Battalion had 5 M88s and 5 M113 for maintenance/recovery, there were at least three more HMMWV for the XO, S3, and CSM.

Guest bojan

Little about Yugoslav OOB (lower levels):

Tank platoon was 3 tanks, except Guard Brigade that had 4 tanks platoon (T-72M).

Company was 3 x platoon + 1 tank as command

Bn was 3 x Company + Command tank (T-55AK/T-72MK/M-84AK) - those had aditional radios.

Mech infantry - there was considerable diferance between M-80A IFV and M-60P APC equiped units:

M-80A: - squad is 7 men, they had one LMG (M84/PKM), one SAW (M72/RPG) and rifles.

Three squads formed platoon. One squad in platoon had M76 sniper rifle instead of M72 SAW. Three platoons + command squad + MG/AT section formed company. MG/AT section had two M84/PKM (2 x 2 men) and one M79 OSA AT weapon (2 men - guner and assistant).

Three company formed Bn. Bn sometimes had three SP-ATGW POLO M-83 (known incorectly as BOV-1) attached. Few units got M-80A LT instead of M-83. Bn also had mortar section (3 x 81/82mm) sometimes attached.

M-60P:

Squad is 10 men, and includes LMG (M84/PKM or M53), SAW (M72/RPK) and rifles. Platoon is made from three squads but one squad was 7 man and 3 men formed ATGM section with one Maljutka launcher. One squad (usualy that 7 men squad) had M76 sniper instead of M72 SAW.

Company had three platoons, command squad, MG platoon (4 x M84/PKM or M83), AT platoon (4 x M79 Osa or older RB 40mm M57 or RB 40mm M80).

Bn SHOULD have three company, SP-ATGM platoon (3 x M-83), Mortar section (3 x 81mm) and aditional ATGM platoon (2 x 3-men sections, each with one launcher for Maljutka).

Light infantry and motorised infantry (truck equiped):

Platoon is made from 3 squads - one has LMG (M84/PKM, but some older M53 were still in use) and M76 sniper rifle, two remaining have 2 x SAW (M72/RPK).

Some units had M76 sniper replacing one SAW in each squad (generaly border guard units only).

Company has three platoon, command section, MG section (2 x M84/PKM or M53), AT platoon - 4 x M79 Osa (some had older RB 40mm M57 or RB 40mm M80 ), ATGM section (3 men squad with the launcher for Fagot or Maljutka) and mortar section (2-3 x 60mm M57 mortar).

Paratroopers (one brigade total):

Platoon is made from three 9 men squads, One has two LMGs (M84/PKM or M53), two have LMG (M84/PKM or M53), SAW (M72/RPK) and sniper rifle (M76 or M69).

Company has three platoons, command section, MG section (2 x M84/PKM or M53), AT section (2x M79 Osa), mortar section (2-3 x 60mm) and ATGM section with 3 men team with Fagot (few Dragons were available but were not used).

Reserves (realy dark water - I am posting what they were SUPPOSED to have - few units were up the numbers:

First version, better equiped units, rifle is M70/AK:

Platoon is made from three squads - one squad has LMG (M53, sometimes M84/PKM) two remaining have SAW (M72/RPK). All squads are supposed to heve some kind of AT weapons but in reality only oone had RB 40mm M57/M87 - two remaining rellied on rifle-grenades.

Company had three platoons, command squad, one MG (M53, sometimes M84/PKM) and AT section (2 x RB 40mm M57/M80). One sniper rifle (usualy older M48/53) was available. 2-3 x 60mm mortar could be available.

Second version, units that had M59/66 rifles (no reserve unit formaly had M48 rifles, those were for the mobilisation units only):

Platoon is made from three 10 men squads and AT-weapon team (RB 40mm M57/M80). Squads have LMG (M53), 1-3 SMGs (formaly M56 but anything coud go - in 1991. some units had Thompsons or PPSh). All rifles had rifle-grenade spigot and rifle grenades (M60 and Energa) are main squad's AT weapon.

Company has MG section and AT section. One sniper rifle is also available as are 2-3 60mm mortars.