History of Soviet tanks

1960 APS TKB-588 planned to be installed on T-10M, 107mm, 6 launchers on turret 6 on hull, speed of targets 80-270(could be uprgaded up to 450)

HE and canister shot varianst was used

Edited by Wiedzmin
  • Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect that combining the dielectric properties of a radome with the protection level required to deal with an AMR or shrapnel means only one thing.

Lots of money.

Are they positive those vehicles were destroyed by 125mm HE Frag? Ive heard the Ukranians were using 2s1's as ersatz tank destroyers, which proved surprisingly effective.

I can imagine even a near miss would cause substantial damage to any armoured vehicle, certainly enough to blow tracks off at the very least? I wonder what kind of effective range you could theoretically engage an AFV-sized target with a 2S1 considering that it would lack the full FCS capability of an MBT?

I wonder what kind of effective range you could theoretically engage an AFV-sized target with a 2S1 considering that it would lack the full FCS capability of an MBT?

Not SPG but an artilleryman in the Army of Serbia stated that the practiced direct fire to 3,5km (no details on target). On the other hand if this situation arrives is because units in the front have had an epic fail.

Not SPG but an artilleryman in the Army of Serbia stated that the practiced direct fire to 3,5km (no details on target)....

Not only that, but 1987, 1990 and 1993. org 2S1 battery have two "close combat sections", each with a MG and 2 x ATGM launcher. Arty group other than 3 x 2S1 battery could also have additional ATGM battery with 6 x ATGM.

It seems to be an evolution of M-84AS offered by Yugoimport

https://www.yugoimport.com/en/proizvodi/m-84as-main-battle-tank

Not only that, but 1987, 1990 and 1993. org 2S1 battery have two "close combat sections", each with a MG and 2 x ATGM launcher. Arty group other than 3 x 2S1 battery could also have additional ATGM battery with 6 x ATGM.

The guy who stated it also served in a 2S1 battery but only for a little while. Do you know what type of ATGM were used? I wondered if they were older models which were being replaced.

Different than previous Yugoimport mods which were based on the Russian components. This one has local ERA, French comms, Belarus (licensed French) sights and Israeli ammo. It is not clear which engine is used, local 1000hp V-46TK or something else.

Re 2S1 batteries - 9K11/AT-3 Sagger was used. According to 1990. ToE 9K111 Fagot/AT-4 Spigot were only found in the anti-armor companies of the infantry and motorize infantry battalions. Everyone else used 9K11/AT-3.

I am a little surprised that no effort was put into some rudimentary fire control system. I can think of many cases where it would be useful (i.e. long range direct fire support against buildings or dug in infantry in an assault).

Do you mean the 2S1? It has a simple sighting system and manual hand cranks. That's more than enough for firing at buildings at long range.

A night sight and a rangefinder of some sort would be nice to have too though.

Different than previous Yugoimport mods which were based on the Russian components. This one has local ERA, French comms, Belarus (licensed French) sights and Israeli ammo. It is not clear which engine is used, local 1000hp V-46TK or something else.

The ERA coverage is much better than in the previous version shown in Yugoimport. Any particular reason to change suppliers from Russian to others? Diversification?

The ERA coverage is much better than in the previous version shown in Yugoimport. Any particular reason to change suppliers from Russian to others? Diversification?

Previous one with Russian components was aimed at Kuwait, where Israely parts are no-no.

Night sight and a rangefinder for the 122 mm 2S1? With the short effective firing range in direct shooting?

In the end, the commanders really think that would be a replacement for MBT's. ^_^

Locally, each 2S1 battery had two ALD M80 laser rangefinders. They were allocated in the reconnaissance section of the command platoon. But those were rangefinders intended for artillery purposes, not for direct fire from the individual guns.

Edited by bojan

It makes sense. Using a single SPG for direct shooting is the means of extreme "poverty". Of course you can equip SPG with Laser-RF a.s.o, only, the finances are limited everytime. Exclusively for an absolute rare emergency you will not spend money on "bells and whistles". SPG shoots at 2000 (!) meters at ATGM or so better in the battery or section according to the forward observer and digital fire solution. If near fire becomes necessary, the poop is already steaming.

Edited by Stefan Kotsch
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure where to put these tweets, so i'll put them here, since the Armor of Ukraine thread seems defunct:

A lot of ERA on the T-64 MBT upgraded by the Russian-backed separatist forces. Ukraine, Donbass region, 22.06.2020 https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1275125518904569856

Upgraded by the Russian-backed separatist forces' BMP-2. Ukraine, Donbass region, 22.06.2020 https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1275125886417764358

The bustles are likely for safer ammo storage. (I couldn't post the photos). :(