History of Soviet tanks

Harkonnen

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, RETAC21 said:

Ceacescu marking differences with the Soviets, the Romanians had a cooperation project with the evil West, including Puma helicopters and BAe-125s

Including Class 56 Locomotives. BREL had to strip the Romanian ones down and rebuild them when they arrived in the UK. :D

21 hours ago, RETAC21 said:

Ceacescu marking differences with the Soviets, the Romanians had a cooperation project with the evil West, including Puma helicopters and BAe-125s

BAC-111, not BAe-125.

Also the Britten-Norman Islander, and Alouette III as the IAR 316.

4 hours ago, Przezdzieblo said:

Hello,

a friend of my gathered his remarks on T-34 design, especially on shape of that tanks, reasons for it and effects it made, in this PDF file. Someone might find it interested, since questions asked there are common for discussions on T-34.

That's a nice article.

Yes, I have noted that might be possible years ago.

Another obscure thing, Romania also managed to get somehow engine from the Leopard 1 in the 1970s, and whole suspension parts (IIRC couple of roadwheels, torsion bars, swing arms and shock absorbers) from Leopard 2 in the '80s.

Edited by bojan

Those were probably obtained using using spy rings and shady deals. It borders conspiracy theories, but there were strong indication of Italian mafia and political corruption being involved in arms trafficking around the world, and they had strong affairs in Romania and Bulgaria.

Edited by Nikolas93TS

I know how Yugoslavia acquired Leopard 2 torsion bar, but whole parts of suspension and engine are much more suspicion rising than a random piece of metal in some guy's camper's trailer.

Edited by bojan

Yet another interesting find on youtube.  I'd always been told before this (and believed it) that the Objekt 220 (KV-3 prototype?) only ever got as far as a single hull being produced and that being fitted with a standard KV-1 turret.

Well...have a look at the following video, at 8:30 onwards. 

Russian heavy tank development, T-150, KV-220 & KV-3

Although the turret is covered by tarp and looks like its on a test range, could this be evidence that at least one complete KV-3 was actually produced or is this another KV variant?

I've always been a fan of the KV series in general so this is really interesting to me, and seeing so much footage is great as well.  

That is KV-220 version with 85mm gun, made in metal and tested:

1BAD63D3515EBAFBB3F5F09BFF85F9E8C7893DD6

. Turret was dismounted and used as fortification, along with T-100Z and few other turrets from experimental tanks:

ZUpbtBe.jpg

T-100Z turret:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bFiCh5eNlDU/UjvAsDtYESI/AAAAAAAABYA/BUb4er5PVs4/s1600/T-100-z+turret.jpg

2 minutes ago, bojan said:

That is KV-220 version with 85mm gun, made in metal and tested:

1BAD63D3515EBAFBB3F5F09BFF85F9E8C7893DD6

. Turret was dismounted and used as fortification, along with T-100Z and few other turrets from experimental tanks:

ZUpbtBe.jpg

T-100Z turret:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bFiCh5eNlDU/UjvAsDtYESI/AAAAAAAABYA/BUb4er5PVs4/s1600/T-100-z+turret.jpg

Very interesting!  Begs the question though, why not just leave the turret on the hull and use it like that?  Logistics and ammunition supply reasons maybe?  Thank you.

Hull from KV-220 was equipped with standard KV-1 turret due the ammo standardization and sent to front. None wanted to supply separate ammo for just one tank.

• 3 weeks later...

The add-on armor (and LRF on the gun tube) reminds me more of the T-55AM/AM2, but maybe it was also applied to T-62s? The lack of gap between roadwheels suggests that this is indeed a T-62 hull.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...